stupid 3" lift springs!

beastpath

Spent all day doing my rear suspension lift today....and all I have accomplished is putting the shocks in :angry:

I have the AC springs that I'm gonna put in. Is there a trick to this? :scratchhead: I followed all the instructions, disconnected the pan hard rod, and even jacked up each side to get the other side to drop further, but I couldn't get the old ones out!!!

Gave up in the end and just put the shocks on so I can drive it if I need.

Should I just go get a coil spring compressor gizmo?

Idono about the 3" springs but I got my stock springs out w/ panhard connected.

I unbolted the shocks, swaybar and e-brake lines and removed the wheels(couldn't jack the frame high enough) and then put the frame on jackstands (fully extended).

both spings came out easy.

I put JC spings in (the small ones) and I set the factory bottle jack on the driverside bump pad to push the it down (1") far enough to get the spring in by hand but the passenger side went easy. If I pulled the panhard I'm sure I wouln't have needed that trick.

DID you DISCONNECT the E-BRAKE LINES, and the SWAY BAR ENDS? those will keep it from dropping all the way.

I had acess to a lift when I did my JGCs unhooked the panhard bar and shocks, put the lift up dropped the stocks out, JGCs went in with the help of a heavier friend leanign on the tire at the side I was working(not intensionally at first). Only issue i had was gettign the panhard to line back up, wasn't the smartest way I guess.

E-brake disconnected too.

I guess disconnecting the sway bar would be a good idea.....duh, lol. Makes sense now that I think about it. Have to try that tomorrow.

May as well get the spring compressor anyways.

yeah i echo what precise1 says.

The AC 3" lift coils are the tallest and heaviest spring i have had in the rear of my truck.

Spring compressors would make the job much easier. Be careful when you are using them though. Never loosen one side of the compressor before you do the other side too. And don't use an impact gun or power tool to compress/release the clamps. They go too fast and are too easy to make a mistake. Just take your time and use your head and you will have no problem.

You can usually rent them free of charge from your local auto parts store.

Did you get some new coil spring isolators too? or are you re-using the stock rubber ones?

Yes, absolutely. You won't use them often, but sometimes they are required... :shrug:

B

with the use of a spring compressor, all i disconnected was the panhard....... and had no problems during the install. i had to tug down on the axle a bit while getting the old DS coil out, but other than that....... went smooth.

ViewofNewExhaust.jpg

Edited by Slick

well I rented a spring compressor, went home, and it wont work with the truck. It was one of those where you have to insert it into the spring via the hole in the top spring mount. But there is only like an inch between this and the floor/cieling. Went back to Checker and they don't carry another type of compressor.

Looks like Harbor Freight have a cheap one, or is there another place I should check first?

Yeah, looks like I'll need new spring isolators too. The old ones are falling apart. Just get these from Nissan?

yeah you can get them from nissan or you can buy urethane ones from energy suspension dealers. just bring the spring in with you when you order them to get the proper size.

this is similar to the compressors i used:

spring compressor

Edited by nige

this is similar to the compressors i used:

spring compressor

Yep, that is exactly what I have (without all the silly keeper bits). They work fine, just remember, clearance is an issue sometimes so take a good look before you spend 5 minutes cranking on them... ;)

B

hahahha i am used to things taking 2x as long to complete and 2x as expensive as i anticipated when working on my truck. There always seems to be some new problem I discover when i start an upgrade/repair/service

I unbolted the driver side of the panhard and then put a long bar on top of the tire. I didn't have help so I pushed it down like a giant lever and wedged it under my snow blower handle. :tongue: It gave me just enough room to move the spring to the right spot and then I released the " lever" and that was that. It worked for both sides. I did install JGC springs though, so they might not be as tall as the 3" lift ones.

got my coil spring compressor from harbor freight today $9.99 on sale. almost bought two for luck lol.

i'll make sure to grease it.

went to the 4wheel parts store today and they were not very helpful about the energy suspension coil spring insulators. isn't a specific one for pathfinders so they wanted the specific measurements etc of the stock ones before they would order. wouldn't measure the spring itself.

anyone done this already, or is it better to go somewhere else?

After I tore mine up, I returned it and got a new set. told them it MUST have been defective if that much damage occurred by compressing one spring. No questions asked... they simply handed me a new box. Of course, for 10 bucka (what I paid for mine on sale), they are basically throw-away.

i only replaced the upper ones. I never even had any on the bottoms.

All you need for measurements in the inside diameter and the outside diameter of the coil. You don't have to get the 'D' measurement as thick as i did because those coils give you quite a bit of lift, but if you want maximum, then go for them. Lay a ruler or tape across the coil as centered as you can get and eyeball it. One thing to note, is i had to cut the lip down to the pad in order for them to squeeze into Calmini springs on my truck. I guess my measurement was a little off.

They have a table on the energy suspension site that gives the measurements of thier isolators. I chose Style A, but i suppose you could use Style B or C too.

E.S. Isolators

The first column of the chart is the part number. Your local store should be able to find them by that so they can order them for you.

Edited by nige