What would you pay for this 91' Pathy?

BonnerBB

I just bought this 91 Pathfinder for $1800.00 - did I pay too much?

post-7310-1226610502_thumb.jpg

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=P...&cardist=10

Here's what my mechanic said about it - whom specializes in 4x4's (mostly Toyotas and Jeeps)

Needs immediately: Exhaust

Mechanic said it will need down the road but not necessary to do right now:

Tie rod ends

Ball joints

4 wheel drive high works but won't go into 4lo because when they did the body lift they didn't trim the floor board to allow for it to engage all the way down.

Here is whats really wrong with it:

Odometer, Speedometer, Check engine light does not work...

What's I like about it:

Wheels and Tires are practically brand new. Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/75-16

AC is COLD COLD COLD

Has a 3" BL

I had a 87 Hardbody PU when I was in my 20's that I loved - so this truck brings back memories.

I took it to have the emissions checked and it PASSED

It is clean inside and out - not but one or two little door dings and that is it.

Here is the fellows story that I bought it from (which I believe about 75%):

He says that he bought it from a college kid 8-9 months ago. He has been using it as a daily driver. He said the father of the college kid said that they estimated around 130,000 miles on it since the odometer doesn't work. Says he needs a pickup truck...

I bought this vehicle for me and my little boys (ages 3 and 4) to do a little hill climbing and mud slinging. The last 4x4 that we had - I spent more than $1800 on tires and suspension. I don't plan on sinking alot of money into this vehicle in mods (so I say)! Just want something to play around in.

Did I get screwed?

Any opinions and/or suggestions is very much appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Bonner

Edited by BonnerBB

nah, you'll be alright. Grap a cluster of a junker or from ebay and steall a 4wd shifter from a nissan hardbody pickup and you should be ok.

steering problems are common. I reccomend you go to grassroots 4x4 and order their upgraded centerlink when you do your tie-rods. this will make them last allot longer and improve driving feel.

oh and welcome to NPORA!

I'd say thats a reasonable price, considering relatively lower milage, but then prices vary significantly depending on where you live. I'm assuming no rust??

Fix what it really needs and enjoy it; I'm sure you will be impressed.

B

i had the same problem with the t-case shifter on mine. You can remove it and then bend a little bit at a time until it clears the floor in 4lo. You might have to take it on and off 4 or 5 times, but it works. I remember reading something about fusable links causing the instrument panel not to work properly.

I think you got a pretty good deal on the truck.

I remember reading something about fusable links causing the instrument panel not to work properly.

Oh, hey thanks for the reminder!!! Grounding can be the issue here also. It's done via screws in the back of the assembly and all mine were 'not tight'. I had swapped the gauges regardless (donor truck) but this seems to be a common problem. Also, someone was selling voltage regulators, let me look...

Yes, sometimes they just crap out. Someone thought they were interchangable with Sentra or 200sx or something. Crazyhayseed??

B

Here you are. Worth a shot, depending on what you find replacements for/what your time costs...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=20092

Gentleman - WOW - what a great response on this thread... It is comforting to know that there are this many people out there with a WD21 Pathy that are willing to help a brother out! Thanks!!!!

Kittamaru: I get ya on the tomboy comment... I thought about this statement as I put it in 4 for the first offload excursion this morning.

Mypath: Cluster doesn't bother me - as long as the tach and gas gauge are working. (Check engine light not working is a little worrisome though.) You think a cluster swap will fix the check engine light?

CaptAssfinder: no comment - LOL

Precise1: There is no rust other than the exhaust..

Grimgreg: I would have felt better about the price if the tranny didn't GRIND!!

Mudfinder95: Exactly - those tires and wheels can be sold for at least $500 if I trash the truck and don't want to fixer...

Nige - how far from the threads on the shifter did you make the bend?

Grimgreg: you did the pipe bend thing without taking the shifter bar off?

So far I have owned the truck for 24 hours. I have already tromped it through all the fields and hills that I know of on my way to work this morning.. What a blast - 4wd seems to work great - no funny noises.

Anyway - I have discovered that I don't know much about my manual transmission. I thought - stupid me - that the grinding between gears was just me being a little rusty on driving a stick shift. After lots of research on this forum and other forums I have found that my transmission has lost it's syncro's... So from what I have read I have a few options that your opinions would be appreciated on!!!

Option 1: Try a different transmission fluid and cross my fingers that it will help. Recomendations?

Option 2: Keep driving it AS IS - use the double clutch method to minimize wear - and wait for the thing to eventually DIE!!! Then choose option 3 or 4 then.

Option 3: Have a shop rebuild it. First quote I got was $550 labor for removal and reinstall, $400 for labor of rebuild, plus $??? for parts... Would have a guarantee.

Option 4: Throw in a $350 salvaged tranny that I have located.. Problem is - I am not mechanically inclined so I would have to pay someone to do it. This option would not have any kind of guarantee as it is salvaged parts.

Edited by BonnerBB

I would go ahead and change the fluid and make sure the right amount of fluid is in the tranny... try different driving/shifting styles...depending on how bad it is you may find a way that it likes to be driven...keep driving it till she gets bad (not going into gears and what not)

then I would get a used tranny

as far as mechanically inclined...you can always start to learn. If tehre are members in your area that have experience you may be able to get them to help you out so you can learn and get a much cheaper price on labor.

Sure it is the synchros and not the clutch being worn out and not fully engaging?

My mechanic - which obviously did not road test the vehicle - tested the clutch by putting it in gear, holding the brakes, and slowly letting out. I saw him do this and he said that the clutch was strong. Is there a better way of checking it?

I also think that it is the syncros because if I double clutch it grinds ALOT less.

I was going to take it to a transmission shop next week for a free inspection to see what they have to say.

Edited by BonnerBB

As far as the speedo not working, the ones before 94 had the speedo cable. If someone who didn't know any better pulled that cluster out could have reinstalled it wrong. There is a little spring loaded adapter (like a mini transmission for lack of better word) that mates the cable with the back of the cluster. It can be a PITA to get back in right. The pathy I have now had the same problem. I just pulled the cable and the adapter thing from my junker and put it in. For your own sake, pull the cluster and see if the adapter is in there. If it isn't you could get it from a junkyard for probably around $10.

I wish I had a picture of it, but you will know if it isn't there. It is about 2 inches long and is spring loaded. The end that sticks in the back of the speedo is square, and there is a metal shaft that has burrs on it that sticks into the actual cable.

hope this helps,

indigent.

Took the pathfinder out for it's Maiden Voyage this weekend...

This baby is a beast on the trails.. I will try to get some more offroad pictures when I have more time.....

Truck drove like a champ!!! Thank god....

My boys and I had a blast.. Momma was not quite so impressed but I don't think she was feeling too hot in the first place.

If anyone lives around Houston and/or Katy texas and want to hook up this place is less than a mile from my house... Very pretty!

Behind Grand Oaks subdivision>>>CLICK HERE FOR BIRDS EYE VIEW

Path.jpg

Edited by BonnerBB

Hi, I am in the same situation as you. just bought my first pathfinder (a 91 with 170K) which seemed to have a sloppy shifting problem. I fixed it on the cheep by taking the shifter out completely - you need to remove the seats, 1 piece of trim by the door (1 screw) the trim under the radio bay (2 clips and 2 screws) lifting the carpet out and unscrewing the housing retaining bracket thingie. The shifter stick comes out with a circlip (much easier than Toyota) make sure you are in neutral and lift. The bushings are substantial, but very worn on my car. Even the slightest wear on these relates to a lot of sloppy shifting. I wanted replace the small one that clips on to the bottom and engages with the tranny as well as the large one that holds the unit in place, but I could not find any easily locally fast enough. So wrapped the large housing piece with the thin PTFE tape (if pieces brake off and fall in hopefully will cause minimal damage) just enough to make up for the wear and its helped a lot. The shifter play has been greatly reduced and shifting is a lot crisper. This is a temporary fix I did and I will be replacing these bushings with new asap. But it may help. Also I was able to flush the tranny and refill from the top with the right oil (GL4).

Oh! Bleed the clutch. May help a lot.

Good luck with your great truck.

Almost forgot... I check the clutch by parking on a light hill, putting the hand-brake on putting it in second and trying to pull away, a strong clutch will stall out the engine fast. You can feel the clutch grab and pull, if this does not happen...