Anyone try a deckplate mod?

icemonkey

Hello total newbie, just bought my first Nissan. I was looking for a Toyota 4runner from the early 90's and found the 91 Pathfinder. Fantastic vehicle, really robust. Just wanted to know if anyone tried the deckplate mod. Very common on Toyotas and does add quite a bit of umph. Very similar engine, I was just wondering in my excitement with a new truck.

For anyone interested the deckplate mod is where you install a boating deckplate on to the filter box, it really just eases the airflow. Very popular with older V6 toyotas. I did it to my Tacoma and it has helped, particularly at altitude (I live in Colorado).

Totally thrilled with my new truck - all except my wife has christened it "Snowflake".

Only had the car 2 days, but I will post once ive cleaned out the rust, sorted the engine etc. The deck plate mod is efficient and cheap, but works best with restricted engines. Even on my 2.7 four pot it added a great sucking sound i did notice an improvement in power. Although that may be a reaction to the sound. My wifes V6 4runner really did change. Here is the best discription of the mod:

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=85

Literally an hour or so to do.

there have been other cheap intake mods done on here that open up the air box this is the first I've seen of the deck plate. I like it, it could work like a snorkel bypass too!

Interesting, but I don't know how restrictive the factory air box is. They are all restrictive, lets face it, but how much? That could work out well. Personally, I plan to go straight to snorkel...

B

The nice thing about this mod is that its very very cheep. I get the deck plates for about $7 and then its silicon sealer. Material wise easy, but beware Clean the airbox very well, bits of plastic sucked into the engine is tough. I've used a dremmel tool and it makes a lot of mess. Check out these before starting to rip your airbox apart:

http://www.top4runners.com/ja/perf.html Very Good

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/470701/2 Ok

Its also very important to shield the new intake from air warmed by the engine, this sucks HP up. Ive gone a bit mad and done the whole manifold wrap with heat tape and made a heat shield/air duct on my 96 Tacoma. But back then I had access to a mechanics garage with all the toys. I guess that if you dont like it you can always just put the Deckplate in and leave it. I have heard that some people have had trouble with the visual inspection for emissions.

I wish I could come up with a cheap, nice looking snork set up. I think the price they ask is a bit over the top.

I didn't think about the hot air issue. Who knows, when I win the lottery, I'll buy all the overpriced mods. I just gotta play first.

I admit my ignorance. I got all excited with the truck, however after 3 cans of citrus degreaser, an afternoon of cleaning and $4 at the local jet wash I realize that the air box is too small for the 5in deckplate. However it may be possible to put a 3in deckplate on the side facing the windscreen washer reservoir . However the real advantage of this mod is the ability to access it easily. I will keep you updated if and when I get around to it. At the moment I am dealing with years of crud - having said that it would seem that Nissan used a higher grade of material, because even though the last 40,000 miles have been really tough on this car, the bolts/nuts all clear well and after a clean the engine bay looks almost factory new! Very Impressed.

The deckplate is a cool idea since you can seal it back up.

Shortly after i picked up my WD21 i was going through it checking everything and when i pulled my air filter i discovered the PO had done the good old "swiss cheeze" mod. I dont have a before and after reference for power or sound but i am sure it opened up the intake a bit. Another bonus is the K&N that came with my 350z slapped right in, same exact part #. I am not too worried about getting water in there since this pathy is mainly driven when any h2o is frozen.