Rear Spring (I know it's be covered a million times)

CaptAssfinder

Hey guys. I'm new to this Pathy thing. First of all I have a 93 XE-V6 Auto on LSD.

My Pathy has fallen victim to the sagging rear spring sickness. Other than new OEM springs. What springs would get me as close to stock height or maybe like a 1" lift for as cheap as possible. I've read all the JGC and Ford spring threads but none of it is black and white to me. Can anyone explain?

93 XE-V6 Auto on LSD.

It it high? cause It will get higher on new srpings.

ok, seriously. If you only want 1" and want a black and white answer get OME springs Part # OME920 (1.7" lift) and use a spring limiters to pull down 1 winding after installed. The ford and JGC will be too high.

OME spring $70 at http://www.rocky-road.com/pathfindersus.html

limiters @ auto store $12 you'll need atleast 2 on each coil to keep it balanced.

Edited by MY1PATH

You did read this thread, right?

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=18&st=0

Cheapest will always be the u-pull salvage yards....

Based on all of the experiments I've done, seen, and heard about, I think the.52" diameter coils from the front of a relatively stripped Grand Cherokee with the inline 6 will fit you well. Bring your calipers because Jeep used a LOT of different coils! The .54" will give you over an inch of lift (closer to 2", depending on how sagged they are) yet still give a close to stock ride.

Edited by mws

i just got some 1" lift generic spring pads from autozone. i had to cut it to make the circle pad fit my coil better and then used a 6" hose clamp to strap it tight. i've installed it on the top of my factory coils. the pads are available from pep boys and jc whitney for cheap.

now to help with towing i've used a heavy duty tow helper springs and placed it over the my rancho 5000 dampeners. in fact, i liked it so much i've placed a set of helper spings over my front shocks also.

but i have a higher lift that your inital tread question.

MWS, thanks alot. I'm gonna try this route first then if I need me make the front match it'd be alright to crank on the T-Bars and add lower ball joint spacers correct? Would I need longer shocks?

So I just re-read that thread. I'll need to look for a mid-late 90's JGC with as few options as possible and the I-6. The more miles the miles (sagging reasons) and the coils need to be .540"

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by CaptAssfinder

i just got some 1" lift generic spring pads from autozone. i had to cut it to make the circle pad fit my coil better and then used a 6" hose clamp to strap it tight. i've installed it on the top of my factory coils. the pads are available from pep boys and jc whitney for cheap.

So, they don't lose their placement while wheeling? I keep hearing they are unsafe to use if you place them at the ends of the springs rather than between the coils. Just curious.

I have cheepo spacers in mine, the small rubber butterfly shaped kind. And they will fall out if you articulate enough and you will feel one side sag afterwards. Real springs are in my list of future mods.

Ok, I picked up some front coil springs off a JGC Laredo I-6 totally optionless for 20 bucks each (they're removing them too) today. I'm gonna slap em in this weekend.

Around how much spring will I need to chop off for proper fitment? Just the pig tail or 1-2 full coils?

The ones I've been getting were all out of V8's. Where'd you see anyone recommending the I6 coils?

Ah well. As long as they're 9 coils tall and have a wire thickness of more than .52-.54", you should be OK. They used a lot of different springs in those damn Jeeps.

I got my JGC springs from a Limited Grand Cherokee I6, .56 thickness

Pretty good lift with the rear tire carrier. It's a little springy but I need some new shocks now.

I've also got a '95 with the rear carrier.

Do you know exactly how much lift?

Did you cut the pigtail or heat it up & bend it out?

The ones I've been getting were all out of V8's. Where'd you see anyone recommending the I6 coils?

Ah well. As long as they're 9 coils tall and have a wire thickness of more than .52-.54", you should be OK. They used a lot of different springs in those damn Jeeps.

Umm, that'd be me, Aaron. The key point I always stress MEASURING the diameter first.

I tried a set and really liked the results! A bit more than an inch of lift and EXCELLENT ride quality - only a bit stiffer than stock. Those combined with my AirLift bags is one heck of a sweet set up. Just enough lift, great ride, and then add a squirt of air and I can carry really heavy loads.

I've also got a '95 with the rear carrier.

Do you know exactly how much lift?

Did you cut the pigtail or heat it up & bend it out?

Well mine was pretty saggy when I bought it, but I would say about 2 - 2 1/2 inches over stock.

Just cut the pig tail and you should be good.

Hit them with some sand paper or wire brush and give em a good tremclad coat before you put them in...Hit the spring seats with a bit of paint too so no rust starts there.

Hmm. Ok guys. I got those springs today. Wire diameter of .540"x about 8.5 coils INCLUDING the pigtail. The springs were about 1"-1.5" taller than the old stockers when laid out on the floor.

Once I got the ass end in the air and got the tires off it only took me about 15 minutes to get the old springs out and new ones in.

Results: I can't say I'm all that happy with it. My 4 door with tire carrier puts my truck RIGHT AT level. The T-bars haven't been touched to my knowledge. I was lookin for level, but after reading the Tbar crank and stuff I was hoping for at least an inch gain. Maybe I'll slap in some spacers or something later.

Oh yeah...Scrap steel needed and a welder. I got some frame rot to band-aid.