WD21 OWNERS: What drive train/model trim do you have?

Precise1

I want to sort out the gearing groups for WD21s.  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which combination does your truck have?

• XE-automatic tranny-open rear differential-4.6 gears
    • XE-automatic tranny-open rear differential-4.3 gears
    • XE-automatic tranny-LSD rear differential-4.6 gears
    • XE-automatic tranny-LSD rear differential-4.3 gears
    • XE-manual tranny-open rear differential-4.6 gears
    • XE-manual tranny-open rear differential-4.3 gears
    • XE-manual tranny-LSD rear differential-4.6 gears
    • XE-manual tranny-LSD rear differential-4.3 gears
    • SE-automatic tranny-open rear differential-4.6 gears
    • SE-automatic tranny-open rear differential-4.3 gears
    • SE-automatic tranny-LSD rear differential-4.6 gears
    • SE-automatic tranny-LSD rear differential-4.3 gears
    • SE-manual tranny-open rear differential-4.6 gears
    • SE-manual tranny-open rear differential-4.3 gears
    • SE-manual tranny-LSD rear differential-4.6 gears
    • SE-manual tranny-LSD rear differential-4.3 gears
    • LE-automatic tranny-open rear differential-4.6 gears
    • LE-automatic tranny-LSD rear differential-4.6 gears
    • LE-manual tranny-open rear differential-4.3 gears
    • LE-manual tranny-LSD rear differential-4.3 gears
    • LE-automatic tranny-open rear differential-4.3 gears

Pretty straight forward... The following picture shows the information plate on the inside passenger fender. The bottom right will have either "HG43" or "HG46" (circled in red). Please pick the correct category for your truck and vote. When in doubt, choose what was the stock equipment.

Any bets on what the trend will be?

Thanks. :beer:

B

Sorry, I ran out of choice options when I got to the LE's. If you have something other than the 5 choices available, please just post the information. Thanks.

GearPlate.jpg

*curious where B's going with this*

SE/Man/Open/4.3

Ditto :D

Voted with the 91's spec as it's a Pathfinder. What about 4.8? or do you not want Diesels included?

88 Terrano = LE (IIRC)/Auto/Open/4.6

94 Terrano = ??/Man/LSD/4.8

I'll try and find out the 94's model.

I wanted to do a similar thing but with damn near everything. ie: I beam or tube trailing arms and mirrors. That sort of thing :D

Just no time to do it.

89/xe/man/lsd/4.3- "sport package" came with 15x7 AR outlaw II rims, 31x10.5 tires and LSD.

I-beam trailing arms yeh tnz, there beefy compared to the tube ones I see on others.

I thought all se and all sport package models came with lsd

Dunno bout you funny people and your Terranos, but the NA Pathfinder didn't get an LE until 94.

Dunno about you funny people and yer not having late model 2drs and no Diesels :D

Testicly speaking the 88 is an R3m, so :shrug:

Yeah MY1PATH my SE had an open diff :D

89/xe/man/lsd/4.3- "sport package" came with 15x7 AR outlaw II rims, 31x10.5 tires and LSD.

I-beam trailing arms yeh tnz, there beefy compared to the tube ones I see on others.

I thought all se and all sport package models came with lsd

As Tex said, no not all SE's came with LSD's (Mine does not have one) Few of the options are model specific, my SE does not and never did have many of the options people think came on all SE's

LOL, I think so... It's all good.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'd like to see more votes before I look for trends, but if this small sample is any indication, there is no rhyme or reason to the drive train set ups. I know this is the case with trim level/options, but I was curious if things were more consistant with the drive trains.

I'm guess that more LSD equipped vehicles are sold in snow country (both mine were), but even that may be a reach.

I wanted to do a similar thing but with damn near everything. ie: I beam or tube trailing arms and mirrors. That sort of thing

Just no time to do it.

Maybe if you weren't always Post Whoring, you'd have the time... :D

B

Did you miss the WD-21 part?

I updated the name of the thread... hopefully that will help. I only assumed it was WD21 specific, because B was asking. Others may not know that, or read the line re: WD21 gears.

MOST Automatic Pathfinders, R50 or WD21, have the 4.6 gears.

So the caR50s have the same gearing options in the rear end? Different tranny and differential though, right?

B

So the caR50s have the same gearing options in the rear end? Different tranny and differential though, right?

B

Do we need another poll for R50's?

Mine falls under XE-Auto-LSD-4.6

I dont know enough, (if anything) about the transmission & differentials to answer your question... I hear the WD21 has a stronger diff, so I assume yes. My transmission is RE4R01A, and the Axle HG46.

B

Nope, the VG33s have the same tranny, t-case and axels.

Edit: Most all Nissan 4wd have the H233 rear pre 05.

Edited by GrimGreg

From what I've seen, MOST Automatic Pathfinders, R50 or WD21, have the 4.6 gears. Most of the manual transmission Pathfinders, came with 4.3 gears. There are exceptions, but that's the trend that I've noticed.

Well on the other side of that (as for WD21's) only 1 out of over 10 autos I have found in wrecking yards had 4.6 gears and all the 5spd's I scanned over had 4.3's too... Yes I know this for sure because that is exactly what I was looking for.... the gears ;)

Nope, the VG33s have the same tranny, t-case and axels.

Ok, does that mean I could steal Pezzy's drive train and mount it in my truck? Different mounting points? Innards only being the same? Never heard of anyone using a caR50 tranny in a WD21...

If it is that close, other than a direct swap, doing a caR50 poll makes sense also.

B

Not sure about later production, but IIRC earlier R50s even used the same link and coil mounts.

As for trannys, if it is a VG block engine, the tranny will work on our WDs. The VH also uses the same tranny IIRC, why some people were buying Q45s, to steal the 4.5L V8s out of.

Not sure about later production, but IIRC earlier R50s even used the same link and coil mounts.

As for trannys, if it is a VG block engine, the tranny will work on our WDs. The VH also uses the same tranny IIRC, why some people were buying Q45s, to steal the 4.5L V8s out of.

allong that train of thought I've often wondered if the 6sp 4x4 tranny+t-case would bolt up to the VG block. I would'nt care If the mounting ponits & shatfts are diferant because that can be modified easier than making a bell housing adapter.