Shimmy shimmy bounce bounce clunk clunk

adamzan

Alright, this has been bugging me for the last 6 months. My front end has this shimmy that happens only above 60km/h it feels like the tires are going to fly off. Also the front end bounces with dips on the highway kind of feels like its doing it this way, mainly on the drivers side. ( <----

And, there is a clunking in the rear end that has been slight ever since I got it, and now it's starting to get worse, there are no broken frame cross members and the swaybar link mount that did break was removed and will be re welded on. I tried to grab and move the links, but everything feels and looks pretty tight under there, and is also covered in thick undercoating.

Anyways things that have replaced/checked are:

Shocks - brand new

Ball joints and bearings were new when I bought it.

sway bar end links- brand new

brake rotors and pads - brand new

steering components - checked and are nice and tight, very little play in the wheel

I have had 3 different sets of tires on the truck - all 3 sets with known good balance

Also had an alignment done

I plan on replacing the tension rod bushings on Wednesday, they're a little cracked but there isn't much play there....

Since I don't know what it is, it is starting to scare me :ohno01:

Edited by redfinder

I plan on replacing the tension rod bushings on Wednesday, they're a little cracked but there isn't much play there....

Guess #1. Most people don't complain about them until they fall off... Apparently it's hard to fell just by poking and looking.

You have said that the rest of the front end is good. Recheck the wheel bearings, it only takes 5 minutes. :shrug:

B

I have stock chromies and I can't get the damn things balanced properly to save my life. It's always jittery and nervous on the highway. Tire shops say that they are all fine and set to "0." It was completely smooth with a different set of wheels I borrowed for test purposes.

Just be aware of what tire shops tell you since they probably don't care.

I have stock chromies and I can't get the damn things balanced properly to save my life. It's always jittery and nervous on the highway. Tire shops say that they are all fine and set to "0." It was completely smooth with a different set of wheels I borrowed for test purposes.

Just be aware of what tire shops tell you since they probably don't care.

I've had 2 sets of the chrome rims on, and a set of legos, all have almost new tires, put on by 3 different places!

I can tell its not the balancing, as it doesn't go with speed. Also it goes away when braking and accelerating.

Sounds like the driveshaft, or rear diff has some play. Try moving the driveshaft while all 4 wheels are on the ground. Look for play at the U-joints.

If not that, try jacking up 1 rear wheel, and try to spin it. You shouldn't be able to move it (at least not much) with the other wheel on the ground, as you have the LSD rear.

Another thing to check would be the rear control arm bushings.

Edited by Simon

Sounds like the driveshaft, or rear diff has some play. Try moving the driveshaft while all 4 wheels are on the ground. Look for play at the U-joints.

If not that, try jacking up 1 rear wheel, and try to spin it. You shouldn't be able to move it (at least not much) with the other wheel on the ground, as you have the LSD rear.

Another thing to check would be the rear control arm bushings.

I will check that out. I don't have lsd in this truck thats the 93. I have new rear control arm bushings waiting to be installed, I guess after 250,000kms they're probably a little worn...

When hitting a bump the rear end goes sideways a bit as well. Oh and this morning, I let my friend drive so my other friend and I could eat our breakfast. I sat in the back, and it seems the shimmy is in the front end. It felt perfectly smooth in the back.

I am going to change the tension rod bushings next week.

I will check that out. I don't have lsd in this truck thats the 93. I have new rear control arm bushings waiting to be installed, I guess after 250,000kms they're probably a little worn...

When hitting a bump the rear end goes sideways a bit as well. Oh and this morning, I let my friend drive so my other friend and I could eat our breakfast. I sat in the back, and it seems the shimmy is in the front end. It felt perfectly smooth in the back.

I am going to change the tension rod bushings next week.

When When I bought my pathfinder for 800 dollars it had a similar problem. The previous owner replaced allot of stuff trying to fix it with no luck so I got IT at a very good price. When I went through the truck I found that the passenger side compression rod was bent right where it goes through the cross member area.(not sure its really a cross member it goes through but you can see where it mounts to). It was bent right in the center of that part so it was really hard to see I noticed by the threaded area sticking out the back not being even with the shaft towards the front. After replacing this compression rod (10 dollars at the local u-pull it) The pathfinder rides great. You might want to see if yours are bent or broke anywhere. On my pathfinder you started to feel it at about 45mph but it did not become intense in tell around 60mph.I was not hearing the clunking noise you describe from the rear of the vehicle though.

Edited by BoneZ

When When I bought my pathfinder for 800 dollars it had a similar problem. The previous owner replaced allot of stuff trying to fix it with no luck so I got IT at a very good price. When I went through the truck I found that the passenger side compression rod was bent right where it goes through the cross member area.(not sure its really a cross member it goes through but you can see where it mounts to). It was bent right in the center of that part so it was really hard to see I noticed by the threaded area sticking out the back not being even with the shaft towards the front. After replacing this compression rod (10 dollars at the local u-pull it) The pathfinder rides great. You might want to see if yours are bent or broke anywhere. On my pathfinder you started to feel it at about 45mph but it did not become intense in tell around 60mph.I was not hearing the clunking noise you describe from the rear of the vehicle though.

Thanks. I am leaning towards the tension rod bushings, I'm replacing them anyways, as mine are all cracked and dried up.

In the rear it feels ok on flat roads but as soon as the bumps start its real rough and you get thrown around all over the place! The shocks are fine though.... And the clunking is insane. Would the worn bushings cause the clunking? Or is that a u-joint issue. I've felt bad u joints on a truck before, and this sure doesn't feel like that. I would've played around underneath but lately I get to school before the sun comes up and when I leave the sun is already set!

Edited by redfinder

Add a garage with a light onto the igloo :aok:

Hell yeah I wish I had a garage to work in! At my dads my stepmom didn't want her corvette to get wet so I did the brakes in the rain. I smeared some wheel bearing grease on the rim hehehe

Edited by redfinder

If you figure out the exact cause, let me know - my truck does the same thing.

Things I know with my truck:

Both sway-bars are broken / end links are busted

Compression Rods are shot

Compression Rod bushings are shot

Worn shocks (saving up to replace)

I'm thinking of the possibility that my rear control arm bushings are shot... consideirng the nature (or perhaps... the simple lack thereof?) my compression rod bushings...

If you figure out the exact cause, let me know - my truck does the same thing.

Things I know with my truck:

Both sway-bars are broken / end links are busted

Compression Rods are shot

Compression Rod bushings are shot

Worn shocks (saving up to replace)

I'm thinking of the possibility that my rear control arm bushings are shot... consideirng the nature (or perhaps... the simple lack thereof?) my compression rod bushings...

I was searching around and found a thread by chriskaw I think who reported that his clunking went away with new rear control arm bushings. I only have one rear swaybar link connected, as the other one got ripped off at adventure weekend. The one that is still on there is worn. And the sway bar as a little play in it too. I've replaced the front swaybar links, it helped a bit but not that much. I really hope my tension rod things aren't wallowed out :handlebars:

Kitt, I thought that you had 4 new shocks put in?

Edited by redfinder

I did - it did help with the swaying and such, but not much. I'm still saving up for the Rancho shocks though... dunno if I want the 5ks or the 9ks...

If you don't wheel it much, I would replace those swaybar end links. I paid 30 dollars for the front ones from partsource, which is like autozone, with a lifetime warranty.

I intend to... just haven't the foggiest idea how to go about doing that though. And the haynes manual is... worthless... and I don't have a FSM for my truck

Edited by Kittamaru

Really? *blinks* Okay... then I've definately been looking at the wrong damn thing 0o' What I was looking at requires the wheels come off...

Then again, I also plan to do the compression rods and bushings.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I finished doing the tension/compression/strut rod/whatever more possible names it could have bushings. It doesn't sway at all anymore, but it still shimmys and shudders...I don't think it's wheel balancing, because it does it all speeds. It's like it's feeling bumps that aren't even there. It does this on the smoothest of roads (read: recently paved). I can feel it in the steering wheel on the highway, and I find it's "acceptable" only if I'm going like 130kmh. Which I only did once, and I'm not taking it on highways anymore because of this...

I'm reaching the end of my patience, and wallet! I just want my pathy to drive normal again :scratchhead:

My grandfather suggested idler arm, but I dunno.

Oh and just to add, the wheel bearings are good, I checked the rear end, I know the rear control arm bushings are leaving me (moves sideways in the rear on bumps) but the drive shaft is tight. I am starting to question the quality of my steering, I think it's all original. But with about 158,000 miles (256,000kms) I thought and was told that it was o.k.

Edited by redfinder