Shimmy shimmy bounce bounce clunk clunk

adamzan

Your idler arm is easy to check. Go to the passenger side front tire, and move it side to side as if you're turning. You will see the idler arm move front to back if it's bad. If there's no movement, it's okay. You can get idler arm bushings to replace them, rather than replace the whole arm, as there's nothing to really go wrong other than the bushings.

Your problem, I'm 99% sure, from what you've described, is the rear control arms.

Alright that's cool I will check the Idler arm when I get home from class tomorrow. Are the bushings hard to change? I know the rears are press fits. I'll either have to have a shop do that, or remove them, and take it to the place beside my dads office that has a machine shop they let me use.

I plan on driving the truck to Florida this spring break, so she has to be good to go!

If you figure out the exact cause, let me know - my truck does the same thing.

Things I know with my truck:

Both sway-bars are broken / end links are busted

Compression Rods are shot

Compression Rod bushings are shot

Worn shocks (saving up to replace)

I'm thinking of the possibility that my rear control arm bushings are shot... consideirng the nature (or perhaps... the simple lack thereof?) my compression rod bushings...

:ohno01: I'd think the shocks were bout last thing on my list. Holy isht, Batman.

I was searching around and found a thread by chriskaw I think who reported that his clunking went away with new rear control arm bushings. I only have one rear swaybar link connected, as the other one got ripped off at adventure weekend. The one that is still on there is worn. And the sway bar as a little play in it too. I've replaced the front swaybar links, it helped a bit but not that much. I really hope my tension rod things aren't wallowed out :handlebars:

Kitt, I thought that you had 4 new shocks put in?

The swaybar is linked side to side via the frame, and that is functional suspension, so yeah... if one side is ripped off = no more sway bar action. Ya THINK it might have a LITTLE play?! ;) Either fix it (if its a daily driver) or remove it (if its a trail truck). Right now, you're driving "removed" (one side broken off!!!) and it ain't so great on the road, huh? Not just broken, but worn bushings too.

Rear control arm bushings are entirely different, but can also be bad. Check them out, or replace them. The front sway bar links are another part of the puzzle, and the tension rods/strut rods/compression rods are by FAR the most important part of this discussion. If you already suspect them, do that first. Failure could be catostrophic on the highway.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

The swaybar is linked side to side via the frame, and that is functional suspension, so yeah... if one side is ripped off = no more sway bar action. Ya THINK it might have a LITTLE play?! ;) Either fix it (if its a daily driver) or remove it (if its a trail truck). Right now, you're driving "removed" (one side broken off!!!) and it ain't so great on the road, huh? Not just broken, but worn bushings too.

Rear control arm bushings are entirely different, but can also be bad. Check them out, or replace them. The front sway bar links are another part of the puzzle, and the tension rods/strut rods/compression rods are by FAR the most important part of this discussion. If you already suspect them, do that first. Failure could be catostrophic on the highway.

Well I have changed the tension rod bushings, they were a little more than "worn", and I've found the front end is a lot tighter, and I don't notice the lack of rear sway bar. I would take it off, but, since I do a lot of highway driving my parents told me not to...

I have 4 new rear control arm bushings, that I got from lgranch on here, I just need to put them in. And then hunt down another set for the other 2 arms. Looks like a PITA to get the control arms off...

It doesn't sway at all anymore, but it still shimmys and shudders...I don't think it's wheel balancing, because it does it all speeds. It's like it's feeling bumps that aren't even there. It does this on the smoothest of roads (read: recently paved).

Bad engine mount, tranny mount or out of balance rear drive shaft?

Bad engine mount, tranny mount or out of balance rear drive shaft?

How would I check the drive shaft? Would I have to get someone to do that for me?

I gave a tug on the lower trailing arms and there was a bit, not a lot but a bit of movement. I don't know how much play there is supposed to be though....The truck was parked on the street not jacked up or anything...

I checked the idler arm like you said Simon, and there was no movement, the only place I saw movement was between the center link and tie rod. Hopefully its supposed to be like that.

Um...no. There should be NO movement in any of your steering parts, unless that movement is in unison....meaning; turning a tire, pushes tie rod, pushes centerlink (and idler arm), pushes tierod (and pitman arm) , turns tire. If there is movement at any joint, there is a problem.

Edited by Simon

Okay. Then I guess a new center link or tie rods are in order as well. Will have to check out which is the culprit there. Is it still safe to drive like that? I've been driving it 45km to school 2 or 3 days a week on the highway :ohmy:

Okay. Then I guess a new center link or tie rods are in order as well. Will have to check out which is the culprit there. Is it still safe to drive like that? I've been driving it 45km to school 2 or 3 days a week on the highway :ohmy:

Uh, yeah, why it was enginerded the way it is.

Okay.....If when you turn the tire, the centerlink rotates, it's the CL that's shot. If it's just the tie rod moving, but the CL doesn't rotate, it's the tie rod ends. If you crawl under, and someone else moves the tire, you can see exactly which parts are worn.

Ok, that one is pretty expensive and since I'm in school (not working) I need to get this fixed as economical as possible. Since I don't really wheel would it be ok to just buy the 50 dollar spicer one, to get me through the winter, or if it can wait till spring when I start work again, that would be good too. But since you're not here you can't really tell anyways (how worn it is).

Oh and can someone tell what the difference between a drag link and a center link is? On rock auto they have both listed, but the parts look the exact same in the picture. Just a different name I guess? The drag link is ac delco and the CL's are moog and spicer.

Edited by redfinder

Oh and can someone tell what the difference between a drag link and a center link is? On rock auto they have both listed, but the parts look the exact same in the picture. Just a different name I guess? The drag link is ac delco and the CL's are moog and spicer.

I guess the names could be interchanged, but typically a Center Link is connected from the steering box to the Idler arm and then to the tie rods so it does not connect to the spindles directly. A Drag Link typically refers to the setup on a solid axel and it is just a solid bar that goes from spindle to spindle only.

I guess the names could be interchanged, but typically a Center Link is connected from the steering box to the Idler arm and then to the tie rods so it does not connect to the spindles directly. A Drag Link typically refers to the setup on a solid axel and it is just a solid bar that goes from spindle to spindle only.

Thanks for the info GG :aok:

I will try not to drive the truck this week, so that I can remove the control arms to have the new bushings pressed in. My dad has the same issue on his pathy now, he was telling me that it will cause my tires to wear unevenly, and since I just got new tires, I don't want that to happen! I have no idea if that is true or not...

Oh yeah, here are the pics of the tension bushing replacement. I had more, but they disappeared.

IM000537.jpg

IM000541.jpg

IM000542.jpg

IM000543.jpg

Thank god my grandfather helped me with that, or I would have never done it :beer:

Edited by redfinder

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I got so sick of the vibration I took it into a shop to have the bushings pressed in, and they inspected the whole truck, and found that the bushings were fine. My truck got a report card so to speak:

scan0001ii3.th.jpg

Edited by redfinder