New Tires :) Mmmm BFG's

MadManMike

So, I went down to Discount Tire today to buy some BFG AT's. The tires I bought the car with are almost bald in the back, it gets nice a slidey in the rain.

So I ask how much they are, the guy says $730 with tax and their little tire warranty. So I say wow thats pretty expensive, so he tries to get me to buy these General AT's for $630 after tax and their warranty. I wasn't really interested in buying General tires..

So then I told the guy that costco is having a $60 cupon on the BFG tires, so he says he can give me that discount. So I said okay sounds good... then he went to check if the tire was in stock, it wasn't... but they had them in stock in a different town. He said he would give me another $10 off for gas money. So then I said "well I will call my brother and see what he thinks of the general tires" my bro said "stick with the bfg's or the toyos" so I tell the guy I am going over to les schwab to check out the toyos. Then he says "wait what if I give you the warranty for free". I ended up after tax, install and their stupid warranty paying only $620 :D

Any way I will post some pictures monday on what they look like.

I just found it amusing that the price went from $730 to $620 with very little hemming and hawing, and had to share you guys..

-Mike

**edit***

Picture:

2938920731_8354711bf1_b.jpg

Edited by MadManMike

Good job!! Yeah, it just goes to show how much of a mark up there is...

Did you get 4 or 5 tires??

B

just 4....

why should I have paid for 5 for that price :D

The full sized spare that came with my car has never been used.... Actually I have never taken the cover off to check what brand it is.

I think they came out to 140-ish ea then tax on top of that.

They were 151 at costco...

-Mike

I have a matching spare and do a 5 wheel rotation. so the wear of 4 tires is evenly spread across 5 tires. In theroy if a tires last 60,000 miles; divide by 4 and then times 5, you now they would last 75,000 instead. least thats how I do it.

I have a matching spare and do a 5 wheel rotation. so the wear of 4 tires is evenly spread across 5 tires. In theroy if a tires last 60,000 miles; divide by 4 and then times 5, you now they would last 75,000 instead. least thats how I do it.

That was what I wanted to know, and the price per unit. I'm having a hard time deciding between 31x10.5 and 33x10.5 tires, but I plan to have all five the same and on the same rims. Thanks.

B

That was what I wanted to know, and the price per unit. I'm having a hard time deciding between 31x10.5 and 33x10.5 tires, but I plan to have all five the same and on the same rims. Thanks.

B

If you're looking to go big, you can find ProComp 4 for 3 all over the net right now.

Yeah, because they are crap and fall apart without warning.

Mine seem all right. I didn't hear a whole lot of negative chatter before I bought them. In fact, the Jeep guys seemed to like them.

How many sets have you been through? Did you wheel with them very heavily before they wore, or was it more road use? How long did you have them?

Mine seem all right. I didn't hear a whole lot of negative chatter before I bought them. In fact, the Jeep guys seemed to like them.

How many sets have you been through? Did you wheel with them very heavily before they wore, or was it more road use? How long did you have them?

Wasn't me, I won't go near them.

Here is one story from a search: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53548 and I remember the same thing happening to a Frontier owner a while back, and in responce to his there were other similar stories that came to light.

mine have been fine so far, but i don't pump them up to max cold pressure or haul 15k lb backhoes around with my truck.

good deal on the tires too. i got a set of slightly used bfg a/t's from nismojunky for the winter time. It's gonna be nice to have a good set of tires for winter again. :aok:

Edited by skrillaguerilla

Thanks for the heads up GG. I guess my choice is between the Kumho and BFG and... I seem to have lost my post-it note!! I'll pay more for something I can count on...

I have not done any research on the Kumho's but I had a set of the BFG's and loved them. I had like 45,000 miles on them and they would have gone another 20,000 easily. I am getting another set once I wear out my current tires. As far as the Kumho's like I said I have not heard much or done much research but I did have a set of I beleive Z-rated ties on my SS Camaro and they handled fantastically but wore out kinda quickly in my opinion but they are ofcourse a softer compound. Nice looking rig btw.

On the topic of tires, I'm picking up a set of Bfg long trails ( i know they're street tires) for the winter for like 150 bucks, practically new, On stock chrome rims included :D

Edited by redfinder

BFG's FTW!

Mine have damn near 30k on them and still look great!

That's good to know...

Now I just need to take them for a little test run :D (just as the passes are about to get snowed in :(..

-Mike

Should have told them you were a Longshoreman, for the Port of Seattle

The ports on the west coast use Americas Tire (Discount Tire) for all their tires, it's usually a 50-60% discount. I got 2 new all terrains that were usually $155 a piece for $82 a piece. Pretty good deal, eh?

So with the discount, coulda gotten em for about $360 or so installed.

Oh, they don't check to make sure you're telling the truth, I'd imagine since so little people know about this, they don't really pay attention.

All I had to do was mention the Longshore discount, and he marked me off.

Should have told them you were a Longshoreman, for the Port of Seattle

The ports on the west coast use Americas Tire (Discount Tire) for all their tires, it's usually a 50-60% discount. I got 2 new all terrains that were usually $155 a piece for $82 a piece. Pretty good deal, eh?

So with the discount, coulda gotten em for about $360 or so installed.

Oh, they don't check to make sure you're telling the truth, I'd imagine since so little people know about this, they don't really pay attention.

All I had to do was mention the Longshore discount, and he marked me off.

Doh! ... I actually know a few people that work at the port...

good to know for next time.

-Mike