What to do with Chevy SB and trans?

mws

So my wife is very happy with Booger, our F250 tow vehicle. It rides surprisingly nice, and has 4WD so it works really well for hauling quads and trailer out onto the dunes. Heck, I'm happy with it as well.

So... It looks like she will be staying. Which means Frankenvan needs to go. For those too new hear to have heard about it, that is my '87 ultimate tow van project. The body and running gear are pretty much complete, but interior and wiring is barely started. Due to family issues, I had to put the project aside a couple years ago. I could finish her and put her up for sale, but the value of a full size van, no matter how capable, is borderline nothing. So instead, I will likely just part it out.

I am just now able to say that without starting to tear up. I have many, many hours into it. But oh well, things change, have to move on.

Many of the parts I'll just put on Craigslist... Like the 14 bolt full floater with locker and vented disk brakes with El Dorado calipers with parking brake!

Part of the running gear is a barely broken in HT383 crate engine with a super-beefed up and customized TH-700 trans. There is no way I could ever get even close to what they are worth, so they ain't goin'. They'll be sealed up and stashed in the garage.

So what should I do with them? I have years to make final decision.

What would you do?

COST IS AN ISSUE! An all metal deuce hiboy or a Pantera with twin turbos would be sweet, but ain't gonna happen.

Ideally, it would be something I could put the engine and trans, about $5K, and a couple years sweat equity into and have a fun but semi-practical rig that could be street legal and have some re-sale value.

One consideration is a pre-'70 El Camino. I've always admired the body style. They're relatively inexpensive. They are pre '76 so smog legal.

Sell the engine, buy a nice low milage 4.3L Vortec w/wiring and computer, order a set custom motor and trans mounts from NWOR and ship it all up to me. Buy yourself something with whatever is left over... or if you want nothing, you could put it on an account as a credit at a local driveline shop up here.... I'll drop it all in the Yota

:D

But really, the Kit Car idea of B's sound interesting :)

I have wanted a 427 Cobra kit car since I saw one... But California REALLY cracked down on kit cars a few years ago. A new one requires extensive documentation and expense to get legally registered in CA. I'll have to look into it again. Maybe if I buy an old one? I did see an ollllld Manta Mirage (remember those???) sitting under some trees up in the hills. Looks like it's been there for years.

How ludicrous would it be to stuff a SB Chevy in a Super 7? Yeah, I thought so.

Unfortunately, Chevy has not paid CARB to certify the specific HT383 configuration, so it is not technically legal in CA. Yes, CARB requires a SEPARATE file and payment for each and every single engine configuration to be legal. That's why I am particularly interested in pre '76 vehicles.

Red, I'll put your suggestion on the list, but ummm..... don't hold your breath!

i have a love/hate relationship with the vortec 4.3

the problems start at 40k and go crazy from there

it has power but poor design and no reliability

Sorry for you luck, I am on my 2nd one (both Jimmys). First one, a 91, was running strong at over 275k km but the body was rotten - the next buyer did a whole body job too it and drove it for another 3+years and sold it. My current '99 has nearly 250k km an running strong, great at towing. Maybe I am just lucky... I have had to do some work on it, but so far the engine has held up. Knock on wood! :)

MWS:

Your idea of an early El Camino is a fantastic one IMO!!! You are right that they are reasonably priced. There are TONS of aftermarket parts for these cars. Also you will find one of the best forums for support on the net at www.chevelles.com (I am a member there) with a large member base of very very knowledgeable folks be it racing, restoration, pro-touring or customizing. I have a 69 chevelle and it is a blast. Lot of clubs around for support and I have found regularily that Chevelle guys from Winnipeg to LA are a great bunch of down to earth guys... not like vette guys if you know what i mean. The 383/700 would be a sweet combo for an Elky and I think it drops right in. The '68 and earliers you can determine if it is a super sport by the VIN# I beleive but they cost a bit more and you want to customize anyway. They are easy to work on (no computer!) and tons of parts around....although the odd interior item maybe a little hard to find.

Similarly, a C10 pickup of the same vintage would also work well...possibly a bit more expensive.

But California REALLY cracked down on kit cars a few years ago.

I didn't know that... :(

Unfortunately, you are talking Chubby which I don't know. When I hear 383, I think of a Charger, Satelite, etc... I have no idea if they would fit, but in that year range you mentioned, I'm a MOPAR man... :shrug:

B

Red, I'll put your suggestion on the list, but ummm..... don't hold your breath!

It was worth a shot :lol:

:beer:

Anyone who thinks that is a better option, or needs gobs more power in a Pathy needs to spend less time around unshielded electronics or a cat scan.

ummm... whos talking about a pathy??

Perhaps someone else needs that cat scan :stickwack:

:D

Two words...

Monster Miata

I have personally seen two of them... not sure if it is the same guy or not. but around 9-10yrs ago I worked in a tooling shop where we also did limited production. We made body kits for Miata's (minor part of our work) and many of those kits landed on Ford V8 converted Miata's. But the engine conversion was not a kit then, the shop tore the cars apart and rebuilt them from the ground up. They truly were no longer Miata's :D

• 3 weeks later...
Hmmmmm..... I have a line on a 1975 (SMOG EXEMPT!!!!) Toyota FJ55 Landcruiser!

Ugh

Everyone takes nice old land cruisers then throws in a 350, an Atlas II, and puts Dana 60's from a Chevy under them. It's not even a Toyota at that point...

More like a Jeep at that point, I know...

But I'm not going restoration, I'm going utility! I clearly won't be starting with a "nice" one with my budget. I'll leave those for the passionate restorers. Like little red, this will be form following function all the way.

If only there was a pre-'76 pathfinder, I'd be all over that! I just really want to not have to deal with smog.

And putting my SBC into an LC will be simple.

Ugh

Everyone takes nice old land cruisers then throws in a 350, an Atlas II, and puts Dana 60's from a Chevy under them. It's not even a Toyota at that point...

The parts for the older FJs are expensive. I just wheeled this weekend with a guy who had an FJ40. not too many Toyota parts on it. it also has a Chevy 350. anyway, he told me the windshield wiper motor was $400 for it. he said he didn't know why, but he felt the need to keep that part stock. lol. everything else is different tho. except for the axles, probably.