the rusty holes in my frame are freaking me out

ticker

I started poking at a rusty spot with a screwdriver today and wouldn't you know that it just kept getting bigger. I only had the courage to poke at the passenger side but I found one large hole and two smaller ones. I know that there is similar rust on drivers side. Its the large hole (3inchs wide by about 2in tall, with a small 1/4in hole forming on the pavement side) above the rear when thats really freaking me out. I've searched around and found two methods of dealing with it. The first is to weld some new metal in which from what I have read is a good cost effective way to go for the big holes. How much have you paid to have the frame repaired like this?

For the smaller spots I saw recommendations for a rust inhibitor of the Por-15 variety. I don't quite understand how this would work as the frame seems to be rusting on the inside as well as the outside judging from the amount of crap I pulled out of it, how would this painted on product help stop the rust on the part of the frame thats not accessible?

How much have you paid to have the frame repaired? How sketchy is it to drive around like this? I need the pathy to last me at least another year.

Thanks

post-1770-1218564832_thumb.jpg

Edited by ticker

The POR-15 won't do anything but help slow down the rust. It won't fix a thing. Get some steel, and find a friend with a welder, or it will cost you to have it professionally welded.

I actually know someone who 'fixed' his frame (an old caddy) by filling the hollow rusty frame with concrete.

if it bothers you to look at it, don't. bondo and paint will hide it well

Edited by k9sar

Simon's advice is the way to go. We have had a few threads on rust hole/frame repair. Let me know if you can't find them with the search function and I'll give you a hand.

It's hard to tell well from your picture, but I wouldn't want to drive around like thaty too much. The fix is relativelt easy and will last longer then a year.

B

I wouldn't drive that untill make sure the surrounding area is solid cause there is a lot of pressure on that spring perch. But I've seen worse, WAY worse. (my 93)

Edited by redfinder

If you have an accident due to the condition of your frame and hurt some civilians, I would get ready for a lawsuit. Your private insurer will not cover you. Mind you if you have no money and no assets, it might not be so bad.

On the bright side, it looks like a problem that regular welding can solve.

Definitely don't want to get in an accident. I don't have a welder but I might be able to get my neighbor to help me out there, and my father in law can get me the metal peices I need. How hard is this to weld up? I have no experience but my neighbor builds hot rods so I'm sure between us we can figure it out. Thanks

It's not difficult. Weld SLOWLY. Stagger the welds to different ends of the piece, to keep the heat down in one concentrated area. You don't want to warp your frame.

You may have to box in a bit, as you may blow right through some of the existing outside framerail. If need be, weld a piece to the bottom, and box up. Typically the top half of the frame is in better shape than the bottom for obvious reasons.

Wow, I'm really bummed out. Since my neighbor is out of town I decided to take the Pathy to a place here in town that does frame repair. When I got there the guy behind the desk asked me what year pathfinder and when I told him '95 he gave me a knowing smile. He then sent me over to Ed who asked me the same question and when I told him he said that was the magic year, apparently they have seen this many times. First off, Ed couldn't be nicer, he stopped what he was doing and got under the path with a light and a hammer and proceeded to give the frame a thorough examination. The damage was way worse then I thought. On the passenger side the rust goes all the way to the bumper, and on the other side it is starting to head that way too. Although he did say that the top of the frame and the backside were in great shape it was just the outside and bottom that really sucked.

The bottom line is that it is repairable, but it would take most of a day which gets us close to $1000 w/labor and materials. :suicide: The good news is that that the rust isn't near anything structural and he said that I would make it through the winter, but that after that it would really be a mess, since I don't have the skills or the time to tackle this myself I'm going to have to look for another ride. The biggest factor is my one year old daughter If it was just me I probobly wouldn't care that much and might go for the home made fix, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable driving around with her in the back without knowing that it was really fixed.

If I trade it in am i obligated to say anything about the rust? I wouldn't sell it privately and not disclose it. ARRRRRRRGGGHHHH I really love my pathfinder. Anybody want to buy her?

Oh and thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I love this place and hope that I get another pathy so that I can still hang out. :)

post-1770-1218745454_thumb.jpg

post-1770-1218745472_thumb.jpg

post-1770-1218745481_thumb.jpg

post-1770-1218745585_thumb.jpg

post-1770-1218745595_thumb.jpg

Edited by ticker

DUDE!!!

but it would take most of a day which gets us close to $1000 w/labor and materials.

Thats a joke for "most" of a day!!! WTF is their labor rate?? $120/hr?? Materials?? $50 in steel MAX?? Some welding rods and gas?? Fark those jokers. Go find someone else or wait till the neighbor gets back and offer him $250+materials and your help...

B

DUDE!!!

Thats a joke for "most" of a day!!! WTF is their labor rate?? $120/hr?? Materials?? $50 in steel MAX?? Some welding rods and gas?? Fark those jokers. Go find someone else or wait till the neighbor gets back and offer him $250+materials and your help...

B

[/quote

I hear you man, it was $70/ hr for an estimate of 10-12hrs, plus materials. I think that it was more like in the 850 and up range but who knows what else he's going to find once he gets in there. Both the guys I talked to were willing to do the work but i could tell that they thought that I should think it over and decide if the the pathy was in good enough shape to warrant the expense.

The real problem is I called a bunch of places today and no one wants to do it. No one will take responsibility for their work. I'll have to see what my neighbor thinks, but like I said it ultimately comes down to cruising around with the baby and feeling secure about the repair.

Edited by ticker

No one will take responsibility for their work. I'll have to see what my neighbor thinks, but like I said it ultimately comes down to cruising around with the baby and feeling secure about the repair.

Seems to me there is an issue with their work then... I kinda glossed the part about the infant (my bad) and you are absolutely right...

Oh and thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I love this place and hope that I get another pathy so that I can still hang out.

LOL, it's not like we ban your IP address and erase your user name when you cease driving a Pathy. Fanatics we are, but please!!! :D

Best of luck Bud!!!

B

The real problem is I called a bunch of places today and no one wants to do it. No one will take responsibility for their work. I'll have to see what my neighbor thinks, but like I said it ultimately comes down to cruising around with the baby and feeling secure about the repair.

Wow. I couldn't even find one place to touch mine. I found a member locally that was going to help me, but he went to afghanistan.... (army)

Yeah, Its all about the baby these days, and she is definitely worth it. Once again my humble thanks, I'll let you all know what happens.

post-1770-1218805075_thumb.jpg

Edited by ticker

If you think you can handle it I'll let you borrow my welder if you want. I would offer to do it for you, but I haven't even found the time to get to doing what needs done on mine. When I did mine before I just grabbed sheet steel from Fortin Steel on 5th Ave. (much cheaper than Lowe's).

take it to D&M welding in dayton , theyll be a much better price, theyll fix anything, i used to work there fixing stuff just like your rusted frame. 937 293 4189, ask for Brian. tell them travis reffered you to them.

If you think you can handle it I'll let you borrow my welder if you want. I would offer to do it for you, but I haven't even found the time to get to doing what needs done on mine. When I did mine before I just grabbed sheet steel from Fortin Steel on 5th Ave. (much cheaper than Lowe's).

Hey Ryan, thanks for the offer. I really, really appreciate it. Although I would love to learn to weld, I'm just not feeling like I'm up to the task at the moment. Like I said if it was just me I think I would be all over it, but the fact that the baby is going to start riding with me every day makes me not want to risk it.

take it to D&M welding in dayton , theyll be a much better price, theyll fix anything, i used to work there fixing stuff just like your rusted frame. 937 293 4189, ask for Brian. tell them travis reffered you to them.

thanks for the tip Travis. I think Dayton might be a little too far out of the way at the moment.

You guys are what makes this board a special place :friday:

Oh ya the dudes that quoted me a grand, were implying that they were going to actually rebuild the rear frame. As in cut out the old one reuse the cross members but put in new steel rails

i wouldnt recomend that, see, the original frame is tempered, heat treated, if you cut out what is left and put in regular steel , it will more than likely crack where the old meets the new. plating over and boxing in the bad areas is better. the tempered frame that is left behind will allow the frame to still twist and flex like it is supposed to.

That "repair" concept is fine, though their connection of new to old is bad. A butt joint is not a good idea, at the very least it should have a gusset that crosses the joint perpendicular to it and fully welded. Better would have been a staggered weld joint.

Also, if they didn't have it jigged properly, they could have tweaked the actual geometry of the frame with heat distortion.

Edited by GrimGreg

the point is they are welding mild steel, to tempered, heat treated steel. it will break. ive seen it a dozen times, on a bigger scale though, used to do that to dump trucks but with 12 inch channel, but that being said, that isnt worth the money, or the time they claim it will take.