scooting while parked in gear

94extreme

the truck seems to move a tad at a time when i am parked on a bit of an incline while it's parked in 1st. any idea what may be cause of this? it's started doing that a few months ago. everything else seems to be ok with the manual tranny. no, i have not checked the fluid level as i was waiting until i can get the truck on stands and catch up on all the things that are not working or need maintenance; i will be changing all my fluids then. thanks for any suggestions here too.

I'm not really understanding what the truck is doing or when. Can you redescribe?

B

It sounds like the truck is rolling (as in tires spinning while truck is shut off and in gear) while it is on a hill.

My first ideas would be clutch, fluid, tranny starting to get tired.

He is parking his truck (5 speed tranny) on a hill, leaving it in gear (and either not using or needs to adjust his e-brake as well), and the truck slowly lurches down the hill.

yeah nunya and 91.. that's it. e brake has been out of op for a while.. on another forum someone told me to park it in reverse. we'll see.. it could also be a compression issue but the motor runs great otherwise and i am able to roll jump it w/o effort. i'm guessing it probably is the darn clutch.. i may change the fluid and see if that helps.

thanks guys

from what i am getting on the web, it just may be compression issue as the truck lurches a few inches at a time. i am hearing that if it was the clutch it would most likely just move to the bottom of an incline in a smooth way instead. hmm.. i'll have to locate a set of gauges and check as that's way simpler then having to dig into the darn tranny. it may be time to fix the e-brake too.

it just may be compression issue as the truck lurches a few inches at a time. i am hearing that if it was the clutch it would most likely just move to the bottom of an incline in a smooth way instead. hmm..

Ok, I get it now and agree 100% with the above, it matches my personal experience...

it may be time to fix the e-brake too.

Ok Dude, that's a no brainer!!! ;)

B

To be honest, I would never trust any (manual tranny) vehicle to stay put on a hill simply by putting it in gear. Way to easy to pop out of gear and then you will find it in someones living room at the bottom

of the street. Don't trust the engine, even if in perfect condition, to hold it firmly in place. If another vehicle TAPS it accidently....POP! out of gear and away she will go.

A cat could fart on it and knock it out gear....(ok, a big fat cat...)

This is why on manual drive vehicles, the emergency brake is UBER IMPORTANT!

Fix that before doing anything else. That's what it's made for. The engine is not meant to be a parking brake....on any grade hill.

PS... if you cant afford to fix the brake anytime soon...invest in, or make your own....wheel chocks to use in the mean time just to be safe when you park it.

Edited by Chriskaw440

The engine is not meant to be a parking brake....on any grade hill.

whats a Jake Brake for? (or in the pathy down shifting) :tongue:

I know my pathy parked on a hill wont come out of gear without the clutch in...now on flat ground sure...but i never really thought about the engine loosing compression to allow it to roll down the hill so thats a very valid point and explains y my aunts car did a run away (the e brake was set but I guess not adjusted correctly) luckly it stopped on its own about 2" from a building down the hill across a street and all that fun stuff...

I would think that the Ebrake could be fixed using a home made rig for at least temporary purposes using turnbuckles steel cable and those crimp blocks (forgot the technical name) :shrug:

I would def. try to do some kind of repair to that ebrake. I dont really know what kind of pressures are applied to the clutch or tranny if it is on a slope with only the clutch/tranny holding it there. In my camaro (6 speed) I would park it in reverse if it was a downward slope and 1st everywhere else. I was in such a habit of using the ebrake that I dont even know what it is like if you do not use it.

I've got the same bs, park in gear on a really steep enough hill, and it will lurch a few inches, stop, lurch, stop. I adjusted the E-brake, and its solved... mostly. My buddy has literally a 60-degree driveway at least at the bottom. E-brake is in good shape and solid, truck in gear in first, and it will still roll slowly. I'm sure my compression is down (165K miles), but damn, I've been able to stop on some pretty steep hills on the trail, no problemo. I guess dirt gives easier than concrete. ;) Gonna have to try the reverse action, just to see...