Shaved teeth on timing belt - possible causes?

92Pathy808

Aloha everyone, Im new to this forum and need a little help. Here's the situation; my uncle replaced the timing belt on his 92 pathfinder less than 4 months ago and just recently the timing belt went again. I was able to remove mostly everything to see what the belt looks like and what I saw was mostly every teeth on the belt looks to have been shaven off. Pics will follow. I was just wondering if anyone might know or have a clue as what would have caused this. At the moment, the belt feels to be too tight and im thinking it is the tensioner to be at fault. Could someone confirm with me or lead me to any other possibilities? Also does anyone of any other method to finding out how to get cylinder 1 to TDC and get the cams to line up for putting on the new belt? The reason I ask is that there's a chance there are no markings to line up to. Thanks.

DSC02802.jpg

DSC02803.jpg

DSC02806.jpg

DSC02809.jpg

DSC02807.jpg

pull the plug on #1 and stick a dowel in the hole, let it rest on the piston. when it's at TDC the dowel should be most exposed.

too tight or too loose on the belt. doesn't necessarily mean that it's the tensioner itself. if could be that the tension was not set properly by your dad. search around the how to's to find out the exact procedure. there is nice write up with pix in there.

I agree with that mostly, though, when doing a timing belt change, you're checking, and/or replacing a lot of parts that wouldn't be changed in a timing chain equipped vehicle. I'm inclined to think that it's a big reason why these motors last so long.

Too loose I can understand, but too tight?

too loose of a t belt can be almost, if not as, catastrophic as a belt that is too tight. when they are too loose they have the chance to skip teeth and even come completely OFF the sprockets.... throw your timing off, etc etc.......

too loose of a t belt can be almost, if not as, catastrophic as a belt that is too tight. when they are too loose they have the chance to skip teeth and even come completely OFF the sprockets.... throw your timing off, etc etc.......

I still remember what you said to me one day on messy slick...

Too tight= Snap, Too Loose= Fly off

If the tensioner is to tight, the belt will WHINE like a B!tch.... it could be as simple as a bad belt, it does happen once in a blue moon...

Having had a belt come apart on me, id say it was too loose, the how too has a great way of setting the tension... hope that it did not eat the Valves...

I'm inclined to think that it's a big reason why these motors last so long.

Then again there are the people who never replace any of those parts and go forever on the original equipment. For example my 93 has 337,000kms on it timing belt was never changed. I'm in no hurry to do it lol. There was a member here in Ottawa who had like 700k on his 91 he said he's never changed any of that stuff. I didn't chance it, my luck isn't that good :mellow:

Aloha everyone, Im new to this forum and need a little help. Here's the situation; my uncle replaced the timing belt on his 92 pathfinder less than 4 months ago and just recently the timing belt went again. I was able to remove mostly everything to see what the belt looks like and what I saw was mostly every teeth on the belt looks to have been shaven off. Pics will follow. I was just wondering if anyone might know or have a clue as what would have caused this. At the moment, the belt feels to be too tight and im thinking it is the tensioner to be at fault. Could someone confirm with me or lead me to any other possibilities? Also does anyone of any other method to finding out how to get cylinder 1 to TDC and get the cams to line up for putting on the new belt? The reason I ask is that there's a chance there are no markings to line up to. Thanks.

DSC02802.jpg

DSC02803.jpg

DSC02806.jpg

DSC02809.jpg

DSC02807.jpg

Read my Post on Timing belt Problems. Hopefully you didnt mash the Valves. Be sure to Turn the motor by hand after you have everything lined up. Do this by putting the crankshaft bolt in and turning with 27mm socket and 1/2 ratchet. Remove spark plugs first. This way you will have even resistance and be able to have a better feel.

Breemania

Edited by Breemania

DSC02802.jpg

DSC02803.jpg

DSC02806.jpg

DSC02809.jpg

DSC02807.jpg

Also make sure the pulley tensioner is adjusted to 5:30 on clock time. Tensioner might not have been right. Also No.1 cylinder is up front on passenger side. Meaning toward the Radiator, passenger side. Make sure to replace the Camshaft seals left and right. Your leaking oil there.

I got a full Timing belt kit from Courtsey Nissan in Texas, I got it in two days with fed ex shipping. Best price I know of.

Linky : http://www.courtesyparts.com/

To make it easier, here.

First, thank you to everyone who replied!

The motor fired up and purs like a kitten, better than ever! But now the Crankshaft pulley "Harmonic Balancer" will not go on, it is a brand new one by the way, any ideas on this will be great.

The Solution was to get a strap around the passengers side cam and turn it counter clockwise and line the dots up perfectly and then match to the lines on the belt perfectly, but we already know about the dots. All three must line up perfectly with the belt at TDC. The issue was that the Cam had moved and I did not have it set to TDC at start of the job.

when you first try to turn the cam backwards (passengers side) there will be a lot of spring tension and at first it sprang back too far and then I had to turn it clockwise, and then do it again, turning counter clock wise very, very slowly but then I GOT IT!

The Strap I used for this was a RED Snap on Oil Filter Change strap. It wraped nicely around the cam sprocket.

If any one ever needs help or has any questions on this contact me. Any Ideas on the Crankshaft pulley? Thank you.

Breemania

Oh yea BTW the Crankshaft pully that wouldn't fit was aftermarket garbage! I went to Nissan this Morning and Got a new one and it slid on like Butter!

Edited by Breemania

What did Forrest Gumps mother say??

B

Something about Adam's an idiot? :tongue:

Well, since the truck can't be driven, there's no need to change the belt on it. :shrug:

Something about Adam's an idiot? :tongue:

Well, since the truck can't be driven, there's no need to change the belt on it. :shrug:

Thats what I was implying. There is no point on spending money on it until its other "modifications" are complete.

• 11 months later...