Just Installed My New Custom Snorkel

TrailChaser

I finally got around to installing my new snorkel yesterday.

Here are some pics. 8)

Plumbing

d0b3983e.jpg

Mock-up

ba21d834.jpg

Fender complete w/hole

fe2ca9ce.jpg

Coming together

fd50c75f.jpg

What could that be?

0a9d106a.jpg

It's a chunk of Aluminum

11b727cd.jpg

c798b463.jpg

Finished

ae5715bf.jpg

I'll get some better "finished" pics in the daylight. :lol:

Edited by TrailChaser
  • Like 1

The cap is made from a solid bar of aluminum I think it was 5" when I started milling on it. I can't remember what the OD is since I made it almost two months ago. (It's been sitting on top of my fridge all this time.) I drilled out the center with a 2" drill bit on the lathe, then bored it out to perfectly fit the piece of PVC pipe I was planning to use. Then I put in eight 1" holes drilled at a 2deg angle toward the center. The sidewalls at the bottom came out to be paper thin. At this point I put it back in the lathe and used a different boring bar with a side cutter on it to cut the sidewalls of the drilled holes out down at the bottom. I also drilled and tapped a hole for a set screw. I had to ditch the PVC pipe holding this up since it's still a little heavy. So I turned a pipe down to the right OD and welded it in place. I still need to tweak it a little to get it perfectly level with the truck. After the adjustments I plan on welding on good bracing so it should be quite tough.

If I did my math right I should have twice the amount of airflow needed thru the 1" holes since there's 8 of them and the intake plumbing has a 2" ID.(Four holes could be plugged and I shouldn't notice a difference.)

I didn't plan for it to be as tall as it is, but now that it's on there I kinda like it. Besides I can always cut it down a little later, but adding more length would be a pain.

More pics. :tonguefinger:

36e2ba06.jpg

No bumper comments... It's a work in progress and you're not even suppose to be seeing it yet.

f87c14d3.jpg

42035eb8.jpg

fa2fe0d4.jpg

Edited by TrailChaser

The cap is made from a solid bar of aluminum I think it was 5" when I started milling on it. I can't remember what the OD is since I made it almost two months ago. (It's been sitting on top of my fridge all this time.) I drilled out the center with a 2" drill bit on the lathe, then bored it out to perfectly fit the piece of PVC pipe I was planning to use. Then I put in eight 1" holes drilled at a 2deg angle toward the center. The sidewalls at the bottom came out to be paper thin. At this point I put it back in the lathe and used a different boring bar with a side cutter on it to cut the sidewalls of the drilled holes out down at the bottom. I also drilled and tapped a hole for a set screw. I had to ditch the PVC pipe holding this up since it's still a little heavy. So I turned a pipe down to the right OD and welded it in place. I still need to tweak it a little to get it perfectly level with the truck. After the adjustments I plan on welding on good bracing so it should be quite tough.

If I did my math right I should have twice the amount of airflow needed thru the 1" holes since there's 8 of them and the intake plumbing has a 2" ID.(Four holes could be plugged and I shouldn't notice a difference.)

I didn't plan for it to be as tall as it is, but now that it's on there I kinda like it. Besides I can always cut it down a little later, but adding more length would be a pain.

So 2 inch PVC Is adequate to supply the amount of air needed? Looks like you heated and bent that semi straight piece of pvc. Why not heat and bend the hole piece of pipe and not use any fittings, one solid piece of pipe? Just curious. Was thinking about doing one on mine but wanted to see what size pipe other people were using for proper air flow.

Mark

Edited by msavides

Thanks everyone,

I haven't noticed any decrease or increase in power at any speed. (With these tires it's already a slug on the road. But I still manage to drive about 80mph to work every morning on the tollway.)

That long piece is a replacement for the first one I tried bending. I found out the hard way that PVC doesn't bend very well with the torch I was using. It's real easy to over stretch the back side of the bend making it really thin if you're lucky enough to not have it tear. There's probably better "poly" pipes that would work better. If you wanted to make it one whole piece I'd recommend looking into hose instead of pipe. You can insert a spring and the hose will maintain it's shape even with a tight bend.

Thanks everyone,

I haven't noticed any decrease or increase in power at any speed. (With these tires it's already a slug on the road. But I still manage to drive about 80mph to work every morning on the tollway.)

That long piece is a replacement for the first one I tried bending. I found out the hard way that PVC doesn't bend very well with the torch I was using. It's real easy to over stretch the back side of the bend making it really thin if you're lucky enough to not have it tear. There's probably better "poly" pipes that would work better. If you wanted to make it one whole piece I'd recommend looking into hose instead of pipe. You can insert a spring and the hose will maintain it's shape even with a tight bend.

actually you can put 2 caps on a lenght of pvc and put a air valve in it and pressurize it. that will keep it from calapsing when you heat it, I know many pool companies use pipe heaters to heat 2 in pvc and they can bend it like a pretzel, I am going to experiment with some pvc and see what i can do with bending it. should be a fun project.

mark

how did you figure out where to cut the fender? I think if i attache a short piece to the last 90 and rehang the fender, i could reach up inside the fender and mark around the pipe with a sharpie?! But that's the only way i can think, measuring on th outside of the fender is hard since you don't have the same refrence points without the fender as you do with it on....That is my last obstacle!

I actually just eyeballed it and just when at it with a hole saw. :crossedwires: Then I cut out the inside of the fender to allow the pipe to be level and also to give me something to weld to.

I think I got lucky on the placement. If I would have cut the hole a little closer to the hood I would have been screwed.

Thanks man, Thats's what i was planning on doing. I need to see if i can heat up and bend my 2" ABS (like that'll work) I need to bend the horizontal pipe down about 3 degrees so my vertical pipe is level. I should have used PVC, much easier to heat and bend.

Just about finished with mine, thanks to TrailChaser....Need to cut the hole in the fender....This is the part i hate...i'll post some pictures in a separate post tomorrow.

Thnxs TrailChaser!

Edited by kmgar99