Frame Repair

STOMPER

Spring is here and I will be puting my car back on the road soon.

Time to repair my failing frame. This winter has been especially harsh with all of the salt used (upstate NY)

On each side above the rear wheels there is a hole approx 18 in long by 2 inches wide.

I'm gonna take a grinder/wire wheel to it and see whats left.

People who have done this repair:

Did you remove the gas tank before welding?

I've done it, and never removed the tank. Weld in shorter bursts, especially on the passenger side as the fuel lines run along that rail. Just cover the tank with a welding blanket if you're concerned.

Living in Cal, we do not have any rust on our pathy'so I'm not part of your target group.

But I do weld.

It doesn't take that long to remove tank. Just do it for your peace of mind.

The odds of it igniting are pretty slim, but when it happens, it is so dramatic.

If you've lived enough and no one else cares enough about you to prevent you from taking some risks, do the following:

- Do it with the tank FULL. Liquid gasoline is actually quite inflammable. Gasoline VAPORS are EXTREMELY flammable. It's not the visible stuff you need to fear, it's the stuff you can't see.

- Make sure all vent lines are completely intact and tight.

- put a plastic bag over the filler cap and seal completely.

- Lots of ventilation! Have a fan blowing behind you blowing any potential vapors away from sparks. Of course, that undermines the quality of your welds...

- If you can see any signs of wetness or smell even a whif of gasoline smell, do NOT even try it.

:crossedwires: Why weld? Just do this, so much easier:

truck11truck.jpg

truck16truck.jpg

:chairfall::omg::D

OMG is right! How long before that failed? Beefy as hell in places with minimal load, and then major weak points at some of the highest points of load!

Dude be careful when driving it, as i can see you have holes near the upper link cross member. On my 93, when my dad had it, the memeber slowly worked itself loose until it fell off on one side. Just don't do any burn outs and avoid pot holes, that is, until its fixed.

Dude be careful when driving it, as i can see you have holes near the upper link cross member. On my 93, when my dad had it, the memeber slowly worked itself loose until it fell off on one side. Just don't do any burn outs and avoid pot holes, that is, until its fixed.

Yep its coming off the road as soon as my 3000Gt gets inspected.

Between the frame rot and brake prolem I have lately I dont feel very safe.

Im not so much worried about myself as much as killing someone else.

I just couldnt live with myself If that happened.

My last 95 (parts truck now) looked like that, (not the erector set rearend!-) but rust and WOW that is alot!

Por 15 (metal ready is awesome before welding rust metal)

And I just LOVE the 2x4 supports!

Edited by MikeVanceinWI

that frame isnt so bad, i would just grind out the bad spots and weld in some fish plates on both sides. you can also completely cut out the bad section and make some new channel if you know someone with a press brake.