so im looking to buy a new pathy...

avaholic

well it's been a while since i've been around here, last summer i wrecked my pathy when it slid off the road in a monsoon...late july weather in texas sucks sometimes...

any how i'm starting to look for a new pathy, my previous was an 88 xe-v6 5spd, i was curious to hear people's opinions on the advantages between 4cy and 6 as far as hp and gas mileage goes (oil just hit 103 a barrel yest... :thumbsdown: ), namely, is the sacrifice of power mostly negligible with trail performance vs gas mileage gained... as well as auto vs. 5 spd, and 2 door vs 4 to help me figure out what's the best rig i should get, so any input would be awesome.

If you are really concerned about fuel economy, a pathy really shouldn't be on your list at all...

The killers to fuel economy are weight, aerodynamics, and engine efficiency. The weight and aerodynamics don't change much between models. These are heavy with the aerodynamics of a chipped brick. So they will all suck.

The best possible would be a 2WD with I4 and 5 speed driven conservatively.

The worst would be pre-90 TBI'd V6 4WD with auto trans driven hard.

Big tires, extra weight, lifts, etc all degrade even more.

fuel economy isn't really that big of a deal, it certainly wasnt as bad as my ram 1500 hemi (13...on the epa's ratings....)

i guess its more of a question of what works better off road between an auto or manual tranny

i can't decide between manual and auto off road. i love them both. for different reasons...... as for on-road, i LOVE driving my 5 speed.... (except in traffic).... as for gas mileage, even with all his lift, i get about the same mileage as my hardly lifted 5 speed, maybe cuz i don't drive the big truck hard? and i drive my 5 spd a bit "harder" (but still not HARD).......

if you sit in traffic a lot, go auto... seriously..... lol

As far as auto and manual it is all about preferance. I had a fast camaro SS that was a 6 speed manual and I would not have it any other way. My pathy is slow anyway so I like the ease of an auto.

Also depending on where you live, it might be hard to find what you want. For example, here in ottawa ontario, I could not find a 5 speed wd21 within a reasonable distance that wasn't either rusted to hell, or spent its life on the quebec side that obviously looked like it had the chit driven out of it. I don't mind my auto, as I sit in traffic 2 days of the week. But I also find that I get 15 city 18 hwy (like its rated for). If i drive it really conservatively or let it shift at around 3000-3500, my mileage stays the same. But sometimes you really need to goose it to keep up in traffic :unsure:

It is all about your preference like said before, but IMHO, if I find one thats in better shape but didn't have the trans I wanted, I'd still take it over the one that has the trans I want, but may have a rusted frame, engine burning oil, yadda yadda yadda.

theres plenty of xe-v6s for sale around here, but im lookin for the se for the limited slip diff, traffic here typically isnt bad, and i really enjoyed driving a 5spd, so most likely thats what i'll try to buy.

theres plenty of xe-v6s for sale around here, but im lookin for the se for the limited slip diff, traffic here typically isnt bad, and i really enjoyed driving a 5spd, so most likely thats what i'll try to buy.

just an FYI. my XE (5 spd) & my SE (auto) Pathy's BOTH have LSD. it was not just in SE models ;)

and like GG said, I wheel hills, rock, mud, water and fire roads..... mini was fun but hard work in places workin the clutch allt he time. king i can concentrate more on what i'm doing, hang my head out the window and not worry about ym foot slipping off the clutch (yeah, it happened a couple times lol)

Edited by Slick

Both are reliable trannys. Only issue on autos is they don't like to much heat, and the stock cooler in the radiator is known to clog. But, an aftermarket cooler fixes that cheap and easy. Like anything they will only work as well as they were maintained.

if u have ever gone reverse to first several times really fast i think you will like the auto more.

are you serious? before i swapped mine from an auto to a manual, i hated rocking out of something with an auto....its much smoother with my 5 speed my auto never liked that very much, it would protest and slow shift which is not the point of the "rock out" it needs to be fast to be effective....

are you serious? before i swapped mine from an auto to a manual, i hated rocking out of something with an auto....its much smoother with my 5 speed my auto never liked that very much, it would protest and slow shift which is not the point of the "rock out" it needs to be fast to be effective....

really i think it is way easier with an auto, mabey it is just because i dont drive a auto all the time ( i tried it in my friends toyota)