Shell or BP Gas

MJBBMANO

It's personal preferance I think. Both have quality gasoline. I dont think you need to use premium though. I would try some lower octane rated gas to see if it pings. There has been a lot of discussions on whether to use premium or regular gas and the concensus I got was that it is fine to use regular. I use regular out here in Colorado but with the higher elevations I know you can use gas with less octane. The highest we have out here is 91 octane.

if you use gas with a higher octane reating than required, the fuel will not combust completely and you will end up with wasted fuel and possibly less power. If you are experiencing problems with pinging, try a grade up which should be 89. Also, try some fuel injector cleaner. YOu only need higher octane fuel if you are pinging or the manual states it is a requirement.

if you use gas with a higher octane reating than required, the fuel will not combust completely and you will end up with wasted fuel and possibly less power. If you are experiencing problems with pinging, try a grade up which should be 89. Also, try some fuel injector cleaner. YOu only need higher octane fuel if you are pinging or the manual states it is a requirement.

I used Sea Foam for cleaning the injectors which I got at advanced auto parts. I'm going to use 89 after my next 2 fillups. A combination of Shell 93 and Sea Foam got rid of the skipping beat. You can see what the problem was from my old post "What is a Knock sensor".

I don't know if the gas or Sea Foam stop the problem but is gone. I also changed the fuel filter.

I never use shell gas, as they seam very proud of it as it costs atleast 10-15 cents more than everyone else, my .02

Shell costs very close to the same as all the other places around me. I have a discount gas place by my house that is more than Shell. Also, I have a shell card so I get 5% back on all purchases. Even if they are a little more it ends up being cheaper overall.

Edited by wheel366

Chevron is no where to be found in NJ. The last place I saw a Chevron station was in NC. I think I may have seen one in FL or AZ too. Can't remember. The good thing about Chevron is that they add the techron additive to their gas. That additive is supposed to be awesome.

Edited by wheel366

Yeah its either a great additive or a great marketing scheme.

Chevron is probably the most popular gas among auto enthusiasts here in San Diego, they tend to be the cleanest of all gas stations and maybe that helps with the marketing?? Some people probably

i never heard of BP though.

Ill tell you whats a good gas station anywhere in Mexico... PEMEX... Well that's your only choice anyways, since its their goverment owned and regulated gas monopoly. In Mexico, gas is much cheaper than here in the US (and the great part - its all USA gas, shipped in from Texas - cheaper than we get it for - thank G Dubya B for that one!!)

BP is Amoco. Every hear of them? I read somewhere (popular science, consumer reports?) that the techron additive is the real deal. I have also heard of reports where people have failed emmisions, put a bottle of the chevron injector cleaner, drove for 20 minutes and went back to inspection and passed. I myself have never done this, but I have heard this from multiple different people. My boss LOVES Chevron. Everytime a conversation comes up about gas I hear "CHEVRON IS THE BEST!".

I use V power (shell 93) in my S4 and I know that a lot os S4 owners do the same. I have a 100 octane program too. I would love to try it sometime but I am worried about blowing my turbos. There is a sunoco station a couple of miles away that has 100+. I think it is 104 or 105.

damn where do you guys get all this octane at? highest i can get here is 91 and here they're all expensive but chevron is continually at least .10 higher than everyone else, its crap! few weeks ago it dropped to 3.11 at my shell (thats what i use) then it jumped back to 3.41, the frikken chevron is 3.49 with diesel at 3.65..ridiculous

I usually buy Chevron because of the Techron. But I make it a point to occasionally buy other major name-brand gases like Mobil or Shell, the reason being this vague notion that additives from other refiners might be better in some other way. Diversity is good.

Another reason is to have experience with other brands of gas in case I can't find a Chevron station. I'll have an idea of a 2nd or 3rd choice, and what to avoid.

I found this site interesting since this same discussion was going on on the MB forum and this site came up

http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html

Click on retailers to see who they recommend.

Great information.

I guess I will stick with Shell 93 and Chevron 93 which ever cost less. Do you think 87 and 89 have the same amount of Detergent Gasoline? The site says it should, but you never know.

why waste your money on higher octane????

Octane is only the measurement of a fuels resistance to pre-detonation, occurs in high conmpression, high horsepower engines.

Higher octane gas IS NOT "cleaner". Higher octane does NOT burn "better" (it is in fact much harder to burn). Higher octane does NOT add power. Some experts say the octane has no effect on deflagration (burn) but only on effects of PRE-detonation (pinging). I think that higher octane actually burns worse in our VG33's.

Higher octane fuel is a WASTE in our low compression VG33 engines!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Scroll down to effects of octane!!!

Edited by FUELER

Ill tell you whats a good gas station anywhere in Mexico... PEMEX... Well that's your only choice anyways, since its their goverment owned and regulated gas monopoly. In Mexico, gas is much cheaper than here in the US (and the great part - its all USA gas, shipped in from Texas - cheaper than we get it for - thank G Dubya B for that one!!)

So....for me its Canada(expensive)--->USA(cheaper)--->Mexico(cheapest) :shrug:

Fueler: I agree with most of what you say, I do however believe that most manufacturers use a better package of additives in their higher octane fuel, and every couple tanks I fill up with premium. The only difference I notice is my truck idles a lot smoother since its on 105k and I think still on the first set of plugs. And for some reason I get about a half gallon better with premium then regular, but I think the Shell I use has some of the methane? in it, not sure if thats the right chemical or not.

So....for me its Canada(expensive)--->USA(cheaper)--->Mexico(cheapest) :shrug:

I will begin to use 87 from Chevron & Shell since they all have the same amount of detergent. Depends who is cheaper the day I fill up.

pointing out a few things here just food for thought. higher octane less prone to detonation. use what the manual says to use there in no reasone to use anything higher other than the aditives. also think of this not alot of people use 93 or higher how much longer do you think that gas has been sitting there compared to 85. just my 2 cents

pointing out a few things here just food for thought. higher octane less prone to detonation. use what the manual says to use there in no reasone to use anything higher other than the aditives. also think of this not alot of people use 93 or higher how much longer do you think that gas has been sitting there compared to 85. just my 2 cents

I will use 87 an once a month throw in some Sea Foam which is a great injector cleaner. I got it at advanced auto parts.