Doug Thorley Headers Group Deal

Thorley is no longer making headers for our Pathys and I was wanting to know how many people were interested in them. I can get us set-up with a great deal if we can get enough people interested in them. I know I am as the manifolds are a problem area.

How many people would be interested in Thorley headers in the $340-$350 range?

Mark

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a set of pacesetters on a pathy and they fitted perfectly. No problems at all and they have stood up really well. they are much cheaper than Thorleys and work just as well. I certainly would not be scared of using pacesetters.

We have a set of pacesetters on a pathy and they fitted perfectly. No problems at all and they have stood up really well. they are much cheaper than Thorleys and work just as well. I certainly would not be scared of using pacesetters.

Good fit or not, you should should be worried if they aren't the ceramic coated (which are often just as much if not more expensive than Thorley)

The black paint flakes off and promotes rust almost instantly.

We put a set on my brother's 2nd gen Supra. We installed in the morning and the paint was gone by the end of the day.

They were completely rusted by the time he sold the car a few months later.

I haven't dealt w/ the ceramic. They're probably better than the black, but they're much more expensive.

Why not go with the recommended brand in such a case?

I won't deal w/ Pacemaker again.

Sorry for the delayed response guys. They will be in chrome, not coated. I can get an exact price but I think they are in the $350ish range. I can get Thorley to build us a small run if we can get some commitments.

Mark

Edited by VegasPathfinder

i got a set of pacesetters right now and the black has come off and they are doing the rusting stuff. Dont know about chrome and how well that works, Also from reviews of people here they say the thorleys give a much better increase in power over all rpms were the pacesetters dont kick in till 3k+. would it possible to see if they would ceramic coat them, casue ive found that high temp paint never works, and then if anyone knows how chrome holds up agaisnt drastic heat changes and would provide that info would be nice

and then if anyone knows how chrome holds up agaisnt drastic heat changes and would provide that info would be nice

Chrome will blue with heat. They will eventually start to rust, but it takes much longer than paint. Ceramic is the best option.

You could have them coated after you get them by someone like Jet-Hot.

If you are worried about rust best thing to do is to build or buy some stainless steel headers. We have pacesetters and yes they rust but thats no big deal. I have had rusted headers on a hotrod that I built years ago and they still work just fine. in fact they are now all the rage cuz its the "rat rod" era. Plus on a pathy rusty headers fit right in with the rusty frame...........lol

is it true that these headers don't work if you have a lifted truck?

and i can make a commitment no problem.

SL??? did you move the motor mounts???

BL??? did you move the motor mounts???

SL+BL did you move the motor mounts???

If you answered no to all of the above... They Fit... If you have a BL you might want to change the location of the tail pipe where it leaves the back of the rig, and there may be some minor interference from the inside of the fender wells... Basically they will fit...

Chrome will blue with heat. They will eventually start to rust, but it takes much longer than paint. Ceramic is the best option.

You could have them coated after you get them by someone like Jet-Hot.

We can do coated if everyone agreesa to, the cost will be more and I would have to find out.

well does that heat tape stuff work? and will it prevent the rust, and paint burning?

Header wrap will void most warranties. From what I've been told (I've been too afraid to test the theroy), it will cause damage to the header in the long term. It's more for racers that change these parts frequently.

I doubt it will offer any sort of rust protection.

If you are worried about rust best thing to do is to build or buy some stainless steel headers.

Stainless won't rust, but it will blue under heat like chrome does. The only way to keep it shiney is to coat it... or never start your motor.

We can do coated if everyone agrees to, the cost will be more and I would have to find out.

I'm waiting on a quote from Jet Hot. Could you get us Thorley's offer on both the chrome and ceramic, then let us vote for which to put in on?

The more info the better.

Edited by crazyhayseed

Just a couple notes:

- wrapped headers tend to rust worse as the wrap can trap moisture

- You can coat headers yourself - not exactly the same as Jet-Hot, but arguably better. And a whole lot cheaper. I used Black Satin and have 0 flaking, fading, rust on the set I did for Frankenvan. And they look fantastic! Sandblast to get rough surface, spray, carefully heat cure by running engine. I did the sandblasting and painting in front yard, hanging from a tree (my neighbors love me....) I used a standard automotive touch up gun to spray.

http://www.techlinecoatings.com/Exhaust.htm

Not sure if any coating can be applied over chrome, so if you want to coat yourself or have Jet Hot do it, get the headers in raw steel. That's what I did with Frankenvan. They were a special build from Thorley and I then had to add a few more bungs and stuff, so I had them ship them in raw steel so I could weld on what I needed and then coated them.

Edited by mws

Why in the world are we talking about Pacesetter, over and over again. Does the thread title say Pacesetter?

Count me in on the group deal. I don't care if it's ceramic coated or not, but I would like to see a better price. $350-ish isn't saving much over Summit's price of $360-ish.

Also, I have a 2wd 5-speed, no lift. I've read the headers fit, but Thorley's site says no. What's the real story?

Edited by feloniousmonk

Header wrap will void most warranties. From what I've been told (I've been too afraid to test the theroy), it will cause damage to the header in the long term. It's more for racers that change these parts frequently.

I doubt it will offer any sort of rust protection.

Stainless won't rust, but it will blue under heat like chrome does. The only way to keep it shiney is to coat it... or never start your motor.

I'm waiting on a quote from Jet Hot. Could you get us Thorley's offer on both the chrome and ceramic, then let us vote for which to put in on?

The more info the better.

They are doing a special run for us so we need to decide either or.