A sad day for the Pathfinder

zonianbrat

So you're telling me r50s are only meant for the street?

P1010085.jpg

I have no lockers and was with a group of jeeps all of them had long arms and lockers front/rear. I got over it unassisted and unlocked. I don't know what kind of offroading you do but its more then half the driver then it is the vehicle you're using.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

P1010085.jpg

That's precisely my point...I was actually thinking of this picture I've seen you post before when I used you as an example a few responses up :aok:

Excuse my stupidity :stickwack: .... But why can't you do anything with the R50?

Just because it's a Unibody?

or is it just because of the piss poor after market support

for Nissan 4x4s?

Lot's of Cherokees and Grand Cherokees

with unibodies have solid axle front ends and are running 35"+ tires.

lot's of Toyota's with IFS runnin' arouind with 33'+ also

As for offering an off road package, they do offer one. A Patrol.

ha, hit the nail on the head steveo

gotta remember mate the patrol never made it to their shores, so they think that the pathfinder or that frontier thing are nissans best 4wd offering.

lot's of Toyota's with IFS runnin' arouind with 33'+ also

you ever actually been 4wding with one. landbarges with ifs are big, fat , heavy, useless pieces of s$@# that belong in the supermarket carpark, much more so than a brand new pathy.

theres a lot of talk about 'looks' in this post. looks dont mean s$@# when it comes to 4wd ability or the driver knowing what to do for that matter.

bottom line is monocoque (sp??) chassis & especially independent suspension are so much weaker than ladder chassis & solid axles and generally only last so long when used off road.

P1010085.jpg

It looks like you are just about to become a seesaw. And seesaws, especially "unlocked" ones, stop even on hard traction surfaces! How do I know that? Because I had one too and that's the point I made with regard to articulation.

I don't think I said you can't do anything with an R50. I am just saying the earlier and later models have far more potential. By saying "far more", I mean 'all of the'.

Once the later models become cheap enough for "us" to cut up and modify, what model will you choose? I doubt anyone would choose an R50. That is just my opinion but I can't wait to see the first live axle, front and rear R51. Lets be honest here yet again shell we? They even look better than the R50 too.

you ever actually been 4wding with one. landbarges with ifs are big, fat , heavy, useless pieces of s$@# that belong in the supermarket carpark, much more so than a brand new pathy.

Which Landcruisers have IFS? FJ 100's? I wouldn't dream of taking one of those through a pi$$-puddle, let alone wheeling one.

Edited by navygz19

Which Landcruisers have IFS? FJ 100's? I wouldn't dream of taking one of those through a pi$$-puddle, let alone wheeling one.

standard 100 series, which there are thousands & thousands & thousands of here in oz.

even the new 200 series. - which looks like a cross between an oz klugger and oz pajero.... :ill:

standard 100 series, which there are thousands & thousands & thousands of here in oz.

even the new 200 series. - which looks like a cross between an oz klugger and oz pajero.... :ill:

My point exactly.

What's the state-side counterpart of the Hi-Lux V6?

**EDIT** Nevermind. It's just a Taco. I think SW was referring to Landcruisers (landbarges...LOL!) with IFS, not pickup trim.

Edited by navygz19

If your car isn't capable, no amount of skill will or can compensate for it. It's that simple!

I call bullsh!t.

I wheel with a lot of trucks that have bigger, beefier tires, more clearance, and in some cases more toys (lockers) and I keep up, and often do better then the rigs that should kick my ass offroad. Time and time again I have proved to the guys who drive the Xterras, Jeeps and other rigs that my little caR50 cant be counted out.

I don't disagree that it has it's drawbacks... No one has SAS'ed an R50, and I don't see one happening anytime soon, if ever. My truck only has 31" tires, with 2" of lift - I could fit 32's, and possibly wedge some 33's if I don't mind altering some metal. And that's all I can do... it does suck. My little lowrider.

But she kicks ass in mud, and crawls rocks with the rest of em. I know I have my limitations... I can't go play with the Jeeps in 38" tires... (oh boo hoo... ) I dunno, is it a guy thing, is my truck, and my tire size supposed to be an extension of my peter?

Granted, I haven't wheeled with you, or in the same places you go. So I really don't know for sure if I could keep up to you and your wheeling buddies... but you haven't wheeled with me and my grocery getter, so I guess I don't have a chance to prove you wrong either. :aok:

lmfao@peter...

Oh, and as for the R51's... I wouldn't mind having one for onroad, but I cant see wheeling it. I'm sure it has capabilities, the thing that gets me is the size... My pathy feels like a friggin boat offroad sometimes, It's one thing I do envy of the Jeeps. I cant imagine wheeling something even bigger than mine.

Ok, I gotta ring in. I have driven all the versions of the pathfinder. Yes, the newer pathfinders are a little more friendly to the driver than the WD's. I would say that the R51 are nice to drive. Havent had one off road, but obviously, IFS and RIS have some limitations. I would like a new pathfinder for the 7 person seating. I drove one home last year when I still worked at the nissan dealer and my family loved it. Taking if offroad, probably not. But perfect for the mountian passes or heading out to the beaches on the coast. For a midsized suv, I think its a pretty good vehicle.

05Path.jpg

theres a lot of talk about 'looks' in this post. looks dont mean s$@# when it comes to 4wd ability or the driver knowing what to do for that matter.

bottom line is monocoque (sp??) chassis & especially independent suspension are so much weaker than ladder chassis & solid axles and generally only last so long when used off road.

Bullsh!t!!

Show me heeps that last as long as pathy's do when given the same off-road punishment. And yes we consider frontier "things" and X's the best Nissan offers simply because that is all we can get. Isnt that obvious?

gotta remember mate the patrol never made it to their shores, so they think that the pathfinder or that frontier thing are nissans best 4wd offering.

Oh, those of us that actually leave pavement would much rather have a Patrol than an Armada on the dealer's lot for us to buy. But as you pointed out we lack the ability to have them so we have to base opinion on the options we do have. Alas the only Patrols we have are late 60s models.

We also don't have Terrano IIs, or Xtrails available to compare either.

REALLY.....

the WD was a trendsetter, truck tough but family friendly....yes even those got blingy wheels back in the day...but they weren't bigger than 16's (and that was super huge then)

the R50 was a new direction towards luxury refinement, looks, then ability, with furthered power (due to the American race for ponies)

the R51 was a reson to continue pimping the ride! Tv's, NAV, TOW POWER!! MORE SEATS!!

the WD?? X was a reason to look back at what is really important...ride or trail??

the point is that all of these vehicles in stock form not only compete but in many areas beat the competition. Money, luxury, power, ability, function, size, looks, power, money, cost, looks.....<-------hmmm what happened there anyway?

My r50 can compete in stock form with anything else in its price range, and several out its price range, and yes thanks V6 Nissan does over engineer...that is why all of our rigs last so long! I can only wish I had the chance at a TD patrol...damn that thing is sweet! When rigs are offered with a stock clino, WoW!

I know I hardly ever go wheelin, and when I do it's the least exciting, most boring type of dirt road wheelin you could imagine.

That being said. System-f has the most capable r50 I've ever wheeled with,(not seen. wheeled with) and he can do most of the same stuff I do and even he calls his rig a "caR50". We have 5-6 SASed rigs in our club of less than 30 guys. Me and my boss are known as the "crazy" ones who will try, and make it thru anything...Both with IFS.

I KNOW the IFS is junk(for offraoding) and have had plans to replace it for a couple of years. Till then it does fine. Actually the MAIN limiting factor on my rig is the 31" tires that cause me to hang up my diff on the "hump" that develops in the middle most uphill trails.

Driver skill? I don't know what the hell that even means. Is that were you follow a group of built jeeps up a granite rock and then watch as the guy in the yellow built jeep struggles at the same obstacle for over 15 minutes, doesn't make it and proceeds to get publicly pissed off that a IFS pathy "on stock suspension and 31inch tires" made it and he couldn't in front of about 30 spectators?

KRocks0139.jpg

pathypic11.jpg

pathypic10.jpg

KRocks0159.jpg

Here's a pic of the type offroading I do in MY soft roader, and notice the other types of rigs in the lineup. I can promise the 8-9 built rigs we were wheelin with that day didn't "take it easy" on our behalf, nor did they have to strap us up anything.

Katemcy5-07293.jpg

I have no doubts that a live axle under the front of my pathy would be an improvement. My point is, the person driving decides whether or not they drive a "soft roader." I'm sure the 8-9 guys in the built rigs were considering us "soft roaders" that were getting in way over our heads when we decided to run with them instead of going with the puss groups who were running the "easy" trails we were recommended to run with. Needless to say, we changed their minds and impressed the hell out of them with what our Nissans were capable of making it thru.

Driver skill? I don't know what the hell that even means. Is that were you follow a group of built jeeps up a granite rock and then watch as the guy in the yellow built jeep struggles at the same obstacle for over 15 minutes, doesn't make it and proceeds to get publicly pissed off that a IFS pathy "on stock suspension and 31inch tires" made it and he couldn't in front of about 30 spectators?

No, I call that fun! To me, skill is picking out the line you don't have to ram into for 15 mins to get thru.

Needless to say, we changed their minds and impressed the hell out of them with what our Nissans were capable of making it thru.

Like I said, that is fun. In August we have an event called Camp NL. There are rigs of all sizes, shapes and brands. Typically the trail leaders are in very well built Jeeps with big meaty tires on em. Every year I have been, I sign up for my trails, and get in line with the rest of my group run. The trail leader takes 'attendance' makes sure we're all there, and checks out our trucks. Typically, they come to mine, and there is some concern whether I will be able to handle the trail... I will then be put inline between rigs that are well built up, they're planning ahead for when this asshat in the grocery getter, with weenie 31" AT's gets stuck, and stuck, and stuck... Every year I prove them wrong, with much pleasure.

Like I said, that is fun. In August we have an event called Camp NL. There are rigs of all sizes, shapes and brands. Typically the trail leaders are in very well built Jeeps with big meaty tires on em. Every year I have been, I sign up for my trails, and get in line with the rest of my group run. The trail leader takes 'attendance' makes sure we're all there, and checks out our trucks. Typically, they come to mine, and there is some concern whether I will be able to handle the trail... I will then be put inline between rigs that are well built up, they're planning ahead for when this asshat in the grocery getter, with weenie 31" AT's gets stuck, and stuck, and stuck... Every year I prove them wrong, with much pleasure.

that's exactly what i deal with every single time i go anywhere with almost anyone.. even the Xs as they are on 32"s.. then when i show them up, it's more trouble. hehehe

that's exactly what i deal with every single time i go anywhere with almost anyone.. even the Xs as they are on 32"s.. then when i show them up, it's more trouble. hehehe

Yup me too, our club is mostly Xterra's up here... and they all know me, yet I get called a bitch for the things I can do in my truck!

No, I call that fun! To me, skill is picking out the line you don't have to ram into for 15 mins to get thru.

Off Roading skill has many things to it. One of the hardest to master is admitting you took a bad line, stopping and backing up to reset and take a better one.

Yup me too, our club is mostly Xterra's up here... and they all know me, yet I get called a bitch for the things I can do in my truck!

Tell them to put their gas tank in the middle, chop 4" off the height of their roof, and switch to coils and they might be able to keep up :laugh: