Underpowered 95'

Guest Hamps

Guest Hamps

Is it just my car needing something fixed or tuned up or is this 1995 Pathfinder a slow underpowered square?

I seriously red line it every time just trying to get up to 40 in a traffic hole.. i'm not floorin it or anything..

on the interstate going 70 the rpms are at a constant 5000... y'know how much gas that uses up? ... that's rediculous, constantly hearing my engine going OWWWWWWWWWWWWWW for 20 minutes.. then i'm outa gas lol.. i sped up to 80 thinking that it was maybe not in its last gear.. but nope it just got up to 6000..

uhh, do you have overdrive engaged??? that might work.. pathys arent race cars, just 4x4 monsters HAHAHA

That's what I was thinking. I have a 5 sp, so of course its different, but I cruise at 70 pulling 3000rpm's.

you say you have to read line itto get it up to spee, and your drawing 5k at 70mph.. Hows your tranny sound? Have you checked your fluid lately? even if your over drive is on, is it actually working? Turn it off and see if there is a difference.

Maybe your torque converter isn't locking up (bad torque or lock up solnoid). Count your shifts we accelerating. You should get 1st, 2nd, drive, over drive and then when you get to cruising speed you should feel a slight drop in rpm when the lock up occures (mine goes typically from about 3200 to 2800rpm if I'm not in a hurry :P ). Hope this helps.

Sounds like something is definitely wrong with your transmission. At those RPMs, I doubt you're getting out of 2nd gear. My tach runs a bit under 3000 at 70. Kicking it out of overdrive, it won't exceed 3800 rpm at 70mph.

mine doesnt hit 5000 rpm untill i hit about 110mph

check the power switch its on the left hand side of the steering wheel

next to the cruise control switch. it will come on when you are running the truck hard gasing it alot or flooring it. mine comes on all the time. very annoying

that has to be about 110 km/h correct?

that'd be right.

110mph? 

I have had my Pathy up to 110 mph. Not as smooth as the 'stang or the benz though.

The fastest I have ever driven was about 135-140mph in a mid 80s Cordoba on I70.