Are the alternator/starter belts easy to replace..by a noobie

NaturaTek

I was looking under pathy to just see what it looks like underneath, and on a belt in the front, I noticed it was missing some rubber squares and kinda peeling on a edge. My cousin confirmed this as it was missing a couple of 'teeth' on the belt. He told me I can still drive like that and it look like it wont break no time soon, he told me to get belts and he'll change em out.

I dont know, but missing anything doesnt seem like good idea to drive. Is it easy to change these belts by a noobie (me)?

I have the chiltons and haynes manual for my 90pathy. I have some basic tools and access to 'advanced' tools if needed. Or is this best left to a mechanic?

Oh boy.

Um...no such thing as a starter belt.

Accessory belts are easy to change. There are 3. 1 for Power steering, 1 for AC, and the other for Alternator/water pump.

Alternator belt - The alternator is the tensioner. Loosen the top and bottom bolts, then loosen the tensioner bolt until you can get the belt off. Installation is reverse of removal.

PS belt - The power steering pump is the tensioner on this one. Same procedure as the alternator.

AC belt - The tensioner is right up top. Easy to loosen off. Installation is reverse of removal.

Change all 3 at the same time....it only makes sense, as you may have to remove 1 to get to the other, and they're relatively cheap.

You'll get the hang of it eventually. :aok: As long as when you get the information, it STAYS with you. We have no problem helping folks out. It's when people have to be told the same damn things over and over that it becomes very tiring. :lol:

Not to pour salt on thewound, but Starter belt, that's fricken great!!! :lmao:

:( C'mon..I was just testing you guys, I know theres no such thing as a starter belt, :cough:

Are the muffler bearings in the belt removal process? Service like in greasing them?

Edited by NaturaTek

Is it easy to change these belts by a noobie (me)?

probably about the place most DIYs start. it's easy and you get ideas on how to work on these thing. great directions by simon. ignore the rest (in this thread only) :)

if your truck has over 100k you may also look into having the timing belt changed. this is NOT a job you should undertake. definitely ask your buddy. it is pretty easy for experienced wrench turner. search for more info. it's all inthis here forum.

also look around for the tranny cooler modification. have fun reading and learning.

When I turned wrenches in the military, the "older" guys would send the "younger" guys to the tool room for the light bulb repair kit and a can of beep for the PM services that we performed. What a hoot when the parts guy would send them to the tool room and the tool guy would send them up the the supply guy and sometimes in would continue for quite a while. Tax dollars hard at work. :welcome: to the fun.

Edited by Roost

Dont forget to bring your Metric Cresent Wrench...

Bucket of Jet/Prop Wash

Remove and Replace Steering Wheel Actuator....

My Fav was Out Field Finder(id's friend or foe) in op in OFF position.....

...and remember, the "P" on the shifter dial is for 'passing gear' for when you really want to get around someone in a hurry.

(believe it or not, rumor has it years ago, some older lady thought thats what the P really stood for and tried to shift to it....on the highway. she was in some kind of older car....)

Dont forget to bring your Metric Cresent Wrench...

Well...someone tried to get me with that, but I had a cresent wrench that had "metric" printed on it. Put a stop to that one around the shop. :tonguefinger: .

sent my son to my toolbox to grab me a cowsay. He looked puzzled then asked "what's a cowsay?"

I just had to grin before I moo'd at him

He hasn't fallen for the henway though.