Engines

robert

So I was looking around for a typical engine swap, or the legendary diesel for the pathfinder... No idea still havn't found one...

Anyways, ready this little speach about the VG engine, it seems to be, if you could find a DOHC model, you could easily produce 1000hp... :rolleyes: Which would be enjoyably nice. But to me, I looked for the model number on the DOHC, and I did not find it.

Possibly maybe with some help we could figure this out.

To me though anything over 153 at about 5k is nice.

Or even tell me if there really was ever a diesel engine for the WD21 platform.

Thnx Much. Robert

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

The VG engine family consists of V6 piston engines designed and produced by Nissan for several vehicles in the Nissan lineup. The VG series started in 1983 becoming Japan's first mass produced V6 engine. VG engines displace between 2.0 L and 3.3 L and feature an iron block and aluminum head. The early VG30 featured SOHC, 12 valve heads. A later revision featured a slightly different block, and DOHC, 24 valve heads with Nissan's own version of variable valve timing for increased high RPM efficiency. The block is a particularly strong design with a single piece main bearing cap, and is capable of reliably supporting more than 1000hp. The production blocks and production head castings were used successfully in the Nissan GTP ZX-Turbo and NPT-90 race cars which won the IMSA GT Championship three years in a row.

The VG series engine found its way into thousands of Nissan vehicles, starting in 1984. The VG design was retired in 2004, as all models received the VQ series engine instead

Anything is possible with enough $$$ and a good fab shop. As far as an easy drop in there isn't one. People have been talking about this forever, the issue with a Pathfinder is limited room for a VG30DETT or motor of your choice. You'd have to modify the frame to make it fit. It has been done. Pathfinder enthusiasts have been dreaming of a bolt on supercharger since the L&P model, so far no one produces one. It seems like interest in Nissan in the 4x4 world is gaining interest though, maybe someday.

You could always put a detriot motor in there, I want to keep it all Nissan though. :) I won't even put a dana axle on (waiting for a viable Nissan axle solution).

Or even tell me if there really was ever a diesel engine for the WD21 platform.

yeh td27t. great little motor extreamely reliable & handle big modifications day in, day out. rev alright for a diesel aswell.

and from 97ish onwards intercooler & electronic control of the mechanical diesel pump.

Yeah, space is always an issue... Wierd thing is though, and is messed up.... Space is the same as 1993 Blazer with 4.3L so why wouldn't that fit? Curious lol, even though tht's chevy..... but i mean 4.3L would be lot more power :) We used to own a 1993 S10 Blazer Tahoe package and it had close to 300hp BONE STOCK, which was nice to do 137 down the high way with 31" to 35" MT's. Can remember which size.. If I find old pics, i'll post, it was very clean but had detroit lockers front n rear.. very nice hands down, but i love my nissan

Yeah, space is always an issue... Wierd thing is though, and is messed up.... Space is the same as 1993 Blazer with 4.3L so why wouldn't that fit? Curious lol, even though tht's chevy..... but i mean 4.3L would be lot more power :) We used to own a 1993 S10 Blazer Tahoe package and it had close to 300hp BONE STOCK, which was nice to do 137 down the high way with 31" to 35" MT's. Can remember which size.. If I find old pics, i'll post, it was very clean but had detroit lockers front n rear.. very nice hands down, but i love my nissan

I do not call 165 HP all that good from 4.3l and that is the stock rating, not 300 HP:

All S10 Blazers carried a 4.3-liter V6, which began the decade with 160 horsepower. Either a 5-speed manual gearbox or 4-speed automatic might be installed. Revised fuel injection for '91 was supposed to improve engine starting. The base engine edged up to 165 horsepower in 1993 (5-speed manual shift only)
from Consumer Guide S10 link

You would be bettr off trying to shoe horn in a 3.5 VQ, with 240 HP. Or just buy a 01-04 Pathy :tongue:

As i recall, the 4.3L was the HO version not just the 4.3L, when we owned it, i realized there was a difference in power between a 4.3 apposed to a 4.3HO.

i think the HP was around 295-300 for our blazer,

Yeah, Well, Ive been looking for another pathy to drive. really don't care what year. 95 to 2000 would be nice, but im kind of on a cheap look and pathy's arn't always cheap... so ya know how that goes

ok fist of all, the 4.3 chevy is a very small engine compared to other ohc v6's, just because its ohv. if you wanted a dual cam nissan i would suggest a vq30de. smaller heads than the vg30de and better design imo. timing chains too.

As i recall, the 4.3L was the HO version not just the 4.3L, when we owned it, i realized there was a difference in power between a 4.3 apposed to a 4.3HO.

i think the HP was around 295-300 for our blazer,

Yeah, Well, Ive been looking for another pathy to drive. really don't care what year. 95 to 2000 would be nice, but im kind of on a cheap look and pathy's arn't always cheap... so ya know how that goes

Looks like the HO version was 200 HP:

....while a new "enhanced" edition cranked up 200 horses, sending its output to 4-speed automatic only.

Same link as above.

Note that up to and including the 2000 Pathys all had the 3.3, the 3.5 did not show up till 2001.

Alright, just something I was curious of.

Found the dyno run of our blazer from 2003 when we owned it. Went to local university to use a dyno.. only one in town...

anyways

it read 289.99HP/295.75ftlb tq

Where the hell did you get those dyno numbers. There was NEVER a factory GM 4.3L that made 300hp. The most powerful 4.3L was the X code motors that came in the Syclone and Typhoon. They were both turbocharged and intercooled and they were rated at 280hp. I think your university's dyno was a little off. The new 6.0L V8 makes just a little north of 300hp.

From another board:

vh45de: Infinity all aluminum v-8 4.5L found in 94-03 m45 & q45. This is a popular swap for 240sx drift racers. Can be used in HB's & frontiers. Only offerd(US spec)with an auto. Have no fear, the tx-10 case will bolt up to the tranny! You will need engine ecm & harness, tranny ecm & harness. This combo weighs the same as vg33e & auto, good for around 290hp-275ft-lbs torque. With JDM ecm it can handle 100hp shots of nitrous (mudbogger anyone?)

Granted there will probably still be width isues, but if you are gonna trade up.....

Edited by GrimGreg

The VH is a big engine, but it does fit regardless of what people say. I don't think it's any (if much) taller than the VG33. There's not going to be any hood clearance issues. It actually makes about 330hp/tq. Story is that the ratings are lower because it was rated without the VTC to avoid some additional "high HP" taxes.

537057374_IMG_0143.JPG

Edited by tmorgan4

Sweet. Are there any oil pan clearance issues? I have a line on an entire Q45 for close to free. I've always loved the VH45 and I know they are under rated from the factory. They usually dyno between 305-310hp. The only research I've done on them is to stuff one in my 240Z. The intake is too tall and the oil pan interferes with the front crossmember. I haven't looked into it for my pathy. How well did it fit in yours?

TD27T's are common as mud in New Zealand (I have a drowned one at the moment) Australia and Russia, might be other countries too.

You could import an engine, but then you'd have a wait on parts should anything go wrong. Also They are slow (Best fly to a country that has them and test drive one :D )

Or you could try the TD254,800 :sly: I do see a few issues though

rta96c.jpg

It fits extremely well but I do have an additional 4" subframe drop and I'm pretty confident the oil pan wouldn't clear the subframe and differential without that. The biggest difference is the sump on the oil pan is in the front instead of the rear like on the VGs.

I did have to cut out my stock steering though since the oil filter would sit right where my steering box was attached to the unibody. It should be done soon. Transmission + adapter is shipping back to me right now and I hope to have my wiring issues solved soon.