40 series vs. 50 series flowmaster

drifter

I have the 40 on a 2.25" cat back and I think it sounds great. Its isnt to loud, but has a nice rumble and a deep tone while crusing. I believe the 50 series is quieter than the 40, so it really depends on what your looking for.

I have a 50 with Thorleys & 2.5; not real loud unless your doing 70 over a bridge or next to the divider wall on the interstate; then it is a bit loud.

I'm switching to a 40 in the spring (or sooner if possible) it is quieter in the cab now that I have a lift;

When I switch to the 40 I may point the exhaust tip strait back instead of to the drivers side.

I believe they have sound samples on their web site.

Mike

Edited by MikeVanceinWI

I have a 50 series with thorley headers and 2.25 exhaust. I like the way it sounds. It's a little louder than stock up until the 3000rpm point at which it has a pleasant growl when you're giving her gas further than that

Man, love it!! That rumble sounds sweet!! Now is the 2.5" pipe custom?

imma CHICK tyvm :tongue:

anyhoo... :sly: lets just say i have $750 into that system.......... here's a pic of what it looks like from underneath. i had a shop do it all (except headers, i put them on first)

they custom made it cuz i am VERY PICKY when it comes to my baby...... they raised the pipe, laid the muffler down flat, and shortened the tail pipe to dump out just behind the rear tire. :D

ViewofNewExhaust-1.jpg

Edited by Slick

So what ever happened with Speedy and his dual exhaust. I wonder if he ever got those dual 50 series flowmasters on his 87? :shrug: Sure would like to hear a clip of that one!

O.K. Can someone please help me! I'm trying to find headers for my rig. 1995 automatic 2WD! All I can find is M/T or 4WD!

Has anyone put headers on a 2WD A/T before?...........PLEASE HELP!!

Edited by 95shakinPF

So what ever happened with Speedy and his dual exhaust. I wonder if he ever got those dual 50 series flowmasters on his 87? :shrug: Sure would like to hear a clip of that one!

O.K. Can someone please help me! I'm trying to find headers for my rig. 1995 automatic 2WD! All I can find is M/T or 4WD!

Has anyone put headers on a 2WD A/T before?...........PLEASE HELP!!

you just have to order the thorleys for a m/t, but yes, they fit on autos.... summit racing have them for the best price i've found yet.

Sorry, the 50's are too big to fit, I really wanted the Hushpower II's but way too much dough. So I went with Dynomax 6" round for the room we have. They were about 60 bucks each, I'm also running Thorly headers and about 3' to the mufflers with 2.25" pipe then dump right before the rear tires.

Enjoy!!!

th_Dynomaxexhaust.jpg

Edited by speedy

My thorley headers are going to be done next week after we drill out one more stud,then i am going to the exhaust shop.what flow master 40 or 50 muffler and what size piping should i go with ??

My setup is Thorelys, 2.5", and Magnaflow cat/muffler. I love the way it sounds. It has a kind of unusual deep "Japanese" sound to it. It peaks out deepness at about 3000-3500rpm. Sometimes I catch the ricers looking around for a resonator on everything around them.

Nice job on the exhaust speedy, Diff smiley is a good addition!

Thanks, I had one on the "real" 87, so when she past on to the junkyard in the sky, and I got the new one, my two girls wanted to know where the face went, so on went another. Only differance is the teeth.

• 2 weeks later...
My setup is Thorelys, 2.5", and Magnaflow cat/muffler. I love the way it sounds. It has a kind of unusual deep "Japanese" sound to it. It peaks out deepness at about 3000-3500rpm. Sometimes I catch the ricers looking around for a resonator on everything around them.

what model thorleys do we need to use. Summit only shows them for WD21 pickup. Will these fit on a 95 pathy SE 4WD with automatic??

Appreciate advice. Just bought my pathy and need to get exhaust done as it is noisy as hell. Thik passenger side manifold. Thought I might as well replace with headers??