Spare Tire Bike Racks?

Xmas

I recently purchased a 95 Pathy which has the spare tire on the back hatch.

Since I am a mountain bike rider, I am now in search for a bike rack that needs to be fitting and properly operational w/ the Spare tire rack.

What did you guys do to transport your bikes w/ the Pathy.

Please don't say "I just throw it in the back cargo area" :D:)

If there is a D*ck's sporting goods near you, try them. I was there the other day just looking around waiting and wasting some time and saw one that attaches to the rear tire and carries two bike.

Good luck

Edited by Roost

i have one that goes into the tow hitch reciever and goes up behind the spare tire carrier. it's a beefy thing that could hold up a fort wall. i'm looking to sell it too. it holds 3 bikes.

Maybe if you have a stock spare. Looks like it won't work with a 31x10.5 spare.

Why not? We had a flat once and put the 31.x10.5 on there and it fit fine, the mounting bracket is still on the truck now, and I can put a lego on there fine.

Edited by redfinder

• 5 years later...

I found the sport rack on Amazon, and that looks like it would work:

http://www.amazon.com/SportRack-SR2813-Spare-Tire-Black/dp/B00BCLKRYK/ref=sr_1_15?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1376619038&sr=1-15&keywords=Tire+carrier+bike+racks

Note it has the BIG HOLE In the mounting plate for the tire support our tire gates have.

I am also looking at this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Surco-BT300-Spare-Tire-Rack/dp/B00029KBF8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

But Cannot find a picture of the mounting plate for the life of me....

I strapped one meant for a hatch back onto my spare tire. Worked great, except for having to duck everytime you walked around the back of the truck!

There are hitch mount ones that stick out far enough, and they do make racks specifically for strapping to an exterior spare.

I got a hitch mount cargo basket I use as a bike rack, multi purpose! Of course I have also tied my bike directly TO my spare to get it home once as I didn't feel like folding my seats down...

I'm a fan of the roof mounted racks. I've had the trailer hitch mount type as well, and the roof mounted one gives a lot more flexibility for other options, gets the bikes out of view, keeps them safe (from grabbers & car accidents), but you do have to remember that you have bikes up there if you're going under any obstacle (parking garage, some Drive thru's). Thule makes a ton that you can use as an example, but there are knock offs for cheaper.

I strapped one meant for a hatch back onto my spare tire. Worked great, except for having to duck everytime you walked around the back of the truck!

There are hitch mount ones that stick out far enough, and they do make racks specifically for strapping to an exterior spare.

Yep, I used one for my wife's old honda Civic 4 door and it actually fit on the spare tire quite well...

I also have a cargo basket as Nunya mentioned...

B