Jgcc

cohen

I read 88's How To, but then I used search and found more recent posts and 88 said he wished he would have known all the JGCC weren't the same, and I don't know which information is correct. I took it as I need; 1992-1997 JGC V8 4WD Front Coils with a .58" diameter. Also, you have to cut 3/4 of the first coil off?

sorry for not being able to comprehend :puterpunch:

As it turns out there are several different coils that were used on JGC's. Thanks to Scott (k9sar) some of them were ID'ed. The thicker/larger around they are the more "lift" you will get. This was discovered after 88 wrote that.

Yes you do have to cut some of the top coil off because that coil tapers from a 4in inside diameter down to 3in's. Pathfinders us a 4in ID from top to bottom, where as the JGC's used four at the bottom and three at the top.

if you're going to the junkyard, take a pair of calipers with you and measure the wire diameter. Most junkyard jeeps I found had the FJ or .52(I think) springs. .58 or .60 will give even a 4-door with a tire carrier about 3" of lift. As for the pigtail, it'll be obvious how far you need to cut them back. Aaron mentioned heating and bending them out to the 4" diameter so that may be another option and give you a better surface to seat on the boots

That was my thought and why I trimmed the pigtails off with a grinder. Aaron, however, believes that you can heat it sufficiently with a torch to where you can bend the pigtail and not heat the rest of the coil as to impact the strength. If you look at the pathy springs, the last coil closes the gap to the previous and makes a nice flat surface. With the pigtail cut on a jeep coil, that end sticks out (longwise) and does not sit real nice in the rubber boot on the pathy suspension (though it isn't going anywhere anyway). If I were to heat the tip of the spring, I would bend it out and down to make a better seat. In theory, it should work but I just chose the other method.

It works fine with the top coil heated and re-bent. I've been running mine for going on three years now like that. I didn't use an oxy-acetylene torch, I used MAPP gas and barely got it hot enough to glow red. If it does anything, it'll most likely simply sag at the top coil that was heated. I suppose it could also break, but that won't strand me any place, I don't think.

I realize that stock Pathy coils do fit tighter at the ends, but the coil seats fit the ends perfectly fine.

It works fine with the top coil heated and re-bent. I've been running mine for going on three years now like that. I didn't use an oxy-acetylene torch, I used MAPP gas and barely got it hot enough to glow red. If it does anything, it'll most likely simply sag at the top coil that was heated. I suppose it could also break, but that won't strand me any place, I don't think.

I realize that stock Pathy coils do fit tighter at the ends, but the coil seats fit the ends perfectly fine.

I followed 88's instruction, but cut the pig tail coil at the top. I've been running for 3 years absolutely fine, and have wheeled repeatedly while trying to get max extension on the rear suspension, with no issues what-so-ever. Doooo-it.

*edit* see my sig pic if you have any doubts, and remember, this is WITH the pigtail coil cut, 4-door with tire carrier, and this is at least 2 years after install from a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

I also run JGCC with the pigtail cut off, with longer rear shocks and no rear sway bar. I've never had issues. I took the coils out of my old truck, and put them in my new one, and have had no issues, and I have pretty decent flex.

IMG_018.jpg

Well my pops gave a big NO, I should have known that was coming after barely getting the body lift. "you'll never get out of it what you put into it"...I'm not trying to get anything out of it. enjoying it is totally worth it. But by next summer I will have graduated and moved out then the fun will start... SAS and 100% trail rig. :tongue:

no. if i remember correctly, that guys pathfinder does not actually have a front driveshaft. so personally i would never want that pathfinder. not to mention shoddy steering :(

maybe not as high to keep 4wd