New Steering Wheel - What Do You Think

FUELER

Finally replaced the stock leather one - the leather was starting to rub off in some spots and it was really uncomfortable to hold

So i replaced the wheel with a wood grain one, but still retained the stock airbag

tell me what you think! It matches all the other fake wood doesn't it?

P2060245.jpg

yeah, i pretty much expect that response from all the dedicated off-roaders... It just isn't an offroading wheel...

but my QX4 spends 95% of its time on San Diego city streets, so it's a comfortable match for me.

Nothing to do with offroading... just never been my thing, on any car.

But now that you mention it, I like my ugly truck. :tongue:

I feel that it IS related to offroading.... Most offroaders i know prefer keeping it barebones and grassroots.... dedicated offroading dash with gadgets and devices, an inch of dirt on the dash, dirt all over the controls....

I have OCD in the form that, after I go offroading, usually my QX4 will get detailed the first chance I get to return to the city. I especially can't stand any dirt or dust on my interior. I like to cruise to work in the morning with the windows up, a cup of coffee, and some spanish guitar playing. It is my quiet place of solitude where I can relax, forget about everything else, and little things like electronic controls, wood grain accents, make for a nice ambience for me to relax in!

Am I crazy?

Edited by FUELER

Ya I feel ya. And thanks for the honest opinions, I want to see what others think....

As far as the offroading goes.... I love to offroad in luxury....

My dream car (hopefully next) is a Lexus LX450 4x4, landcruiser in a tuxedo

LX450-026.JPG

I like the wheel, especially in the QX4, which is supposed to be fancy anyway. Since it is the daily driver also, it should be comfortable. Even though I have done about everything possible to my 2003 Pathy to make it look like a dirt rig I still like it clean when not off-road. It is my daily driver also and I like it clean on the street. I think ya done good!

Wow, P-I-M-P-I-N ! I think it looks great with the rest of your interior. I like your style, not mine really, but sweet if your into it. And i'm a little of the same, i don't care about how it looks outside, but i like the interior clean and organized. It's whats inside that counts LOL!

I feel that it IS related to offroading.... Most offroaders i know prefer keeping it barebones and grassroots.... dedicated offroading dash with gadgets and devices, an inch of dirt on the dash, dirt all over the controls....

I have OCD in the form that, after I go offroading, usually my QX4 will get detailed the first chance I get to return to the city. I especially can't stand any dirt or dust on my interior. I like to cruise to work in the morning with the windows up, a cup of coffee, and some spanish guitar playing. It is my quiet place of solitude where I can relax, forget about everything else, and little things like electronic controls, wood grain accents, make for a nice ambience for me to relax in!

Am I crazy?

"Us offroaders" call that Metro-sexual not OCD... :tonguefinger:

But as long as you like it; :itsallgood:

Looks good with your interior. I am also anal about keeping my truck clean when in town. but with my new job I am out in areas with nothing but ohv dirty unkept roads so my truck is caked in mud right now. Sweet thing is it has been raining the last couple of days so I have been having fun in my off-time but no camera so not pics.

I like your wheel man! that would look really out of place in my 87 though haha. Maybe a nice black and steel one thats a little smaller than stock, I like lots of knee room.

As for rain its doin it here too its been great, not muddy enough for me though need another day or two to really test out the pathy.

Am I crazy?

Not crazy...just eccentric and there's nthing wrong with that. I know lots of eccentric people and they're far more interesting than your garden variety schleps.

I have wood grain in my LE and vowed to eradicate it ASAP cuz wood doesn't belong on or in vehicles but thats my opinion.(wood is still there so it can't bother me that much) :whocares:

I must admit to appreciating a little luxery while in the dirt. Every one I go with has a Jeep and, yes they can go places I can not, mainly due to them having 5"-6" of lift, 35" tires, disconnects, etc. But, I can run my AC all day long with out over heating. This is nice in the hot, dusty, miserable desert out here in So. Calif. A little bit of creature comfort is a good thing.

Nah man, ignore what they say, it looks sweet! It'd look just as good in mine! Course, we got the same rig practically. If the leather on my steering wheel wasn't so pristine I'd do the same.

As for all y'all... It don't matter if you like your ride detailed and pretty. It only matters that you're not afraid to get it DIRTY! Mines a DD, so I like it clean so it doesn't get my slacks and dress shirts all messed up. However, I have to resist the urge of slapping people who are too afraid to take their rigs off road or worse... buy a real 4WD machine and then slam it with 24's.

Nice job and it does suit the rest of the wood treatment quite well. I have never been a fan of fake wood (gee, I am a forestry type, so I guess I just like real wood :tongue: ), I grew up with real wood in some of the English cars my dad seem to get once in awhile. But in your Q, it looks right at home.

And how did you do it without making a mess of the airbag? It is well done, nice and clean.

Am I crazy?

Likely, but that's besides the point. :tongue:

And you may be suprised to know, even though I love to coat the outside of my truck in mud (covers all the dents, and pinstripes) It actually makes me insane to have that coating of dust all over my dash. I dont mind if I flick some mud in the truck when I am wheeling, but when it's back to my DD, I like the inside to be nice & clean. So, no, not an offroader thing, not in my case.

Trainman: real wood steering wheel = egads splinters!! :D

I will say that the wood grain is not my thing either but that looks really good with your setup, i'd also like to know how you got it in there without messing up the airbag.

You just take apart the airbag and wheel assembly.... you need one of those special "torx" screwdrivers..... and undo the battery when you pull off the airbag ribbon cable....

When all is reinstalled, you will have a SRS (airbag) failure light - the dealer can reset this for $400 *or* do it yourself in 5 seconds

How to reset SRS(air bag) light:

Open the driver's door. Note the rubber covered button located low on the B pillar, a button which is pressed by the door when the door is closed. This is the Driver's Door Switch (DDS).

Turn the ignition from OFF to ON. Press the DDS at least 5 times within 7 seconds after turning the ignition switch ON. Turn the ignition OFF. Close the driver's door. Start the engine.

If the airbag warning lamp is still on (or still flashing), there is a fault in the Su

the dealer makes $400 to check all your sensors and then to do the 5 second reset process. What a deal!

Edited by FUELER