Body Lift Final Thoughts / Questions

statikuz

Figured summer was a good time to start a project, and a body lift seemed like a decent idea to me, now I'm just deciding whether or not I have the bravery to figure it all out and install it. =) I've searched around and read everything I could find, yep, 88, read your writeup, nice job! Looked around on the AC forums too, found out about the transfer case shifter and about bending it / notching the floor, and about the flimsy front bumper brackets, and about some rubber hoses needing to be trimmed / longer.

Anyways, no way I'll pay someone ELSE to do it, so I have a couple final questions before I shell out the $134 for the AC kit.

How would everyone here that's installed their own rate the installation?

Are there any things that consistently cause problems for people?

Any special tools I'm going to need?

Any other general tips for installation? (besides WD-40ing the body bolts? =P)

Thanks for all your guys' help, definitely a good thing to have smart people here to ask questions to. Thanks again.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its an easy job JUST TAKE YOUR TIME - set aside a whole weekend to do it, it probably wont take you that long but its a very good idea to have that time set a side

one thing i noticed is that when removing the old body bolts if they have a little back plastic cap (inside the cab, that is) loosen the bolt and using a rubber mallet tap it out from underneith (sp) if you try to remove it from the top it will just break

when jacking the cab off the chassis GO SLOW, give the coils in the brake lines time to open up.

other than that its straight forward

No problems here.

You might want to have a torch to heat up any bolts that still don't loosen up after the WD-40.

For the body mounts, the bigger the socket wrench, the easier it will be.

Don't forget to take the front bumper mounts off BEFORE lifting. I took the bumper off the mounts at first and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the body to separate from the frame in the front. Those mounts bolt to the frame and pass through holes in the body, so it won't lift without removing the mounts.

Don't forget to unbolt the loop that goes around the driveshaft and attaches to the body. (I read that many times and still forgot when I was lifting the body off the frame).

I had a noise show up when I would take corners that made it seem like my seat was moving. Turned out to be the loop I just mentioned rubbing on the other loop (Having a tough time coming up with a better word for it tonight) that it runs through. You can either bend the loop that bolts to the body or put some kind of rubber around it where it passes through the other loop. I used a garden hose and haven't heard the noise since.

That's all I can remember now. The instructions provided with the kit are pretty generic and not too helpful, so just print off any instructions you have found on the interweb to look at while doing the lift. Good luck! :beer:

I left the hoop off. It's not worth much anyway.

I wasn't sure what it was for, I'm guessing it is just there to make you think your seat is moving after you put a body lift on. That way you go out to a junk yard and buy a new track for your seat to sit on that still doesn't fix the problem. And now you're stuck with an extra driver's seat track that you'll probably never use. :shrug:

Good idea 88, if the noise ever comes back I think I'll just take it off.

I wasn't sure what it was for, I'm guessing it is just there to make you think your seat is moving after you put a body lift on. That way you go out to a junk yard and buy a new track for your seat to sit on that still doesn't fix the problem. And now you're stuck with an extra driver's seat track that you'll probably never use. :shrug:

:D:D

Guest tram_bethea

Dude if you could take some pics of how to do it that would be awesome. I really want to lift my ride but I am scared that I will screw it up.

I would like to lift mine and have read all the posts on it, but everything I have learned on this site is much easier to do after you see it.

Show us some pictures when your done. Better yet do a step-by-step on the job sly

Just a doubt:

A body lift will not raise the ground clearance, do it?

I guess to have more ground clearance it's necessary to do a suspension lift, am I correct?

The only real way to get more ground clearance is to get bigger tires, since, as I understand it, the rear diff will always be the lowest point on your truck. A combination of suspension and body lifts will allow you to fit bigger tires, and therefore get more clearance, but they don't really do it themselves.

partially right ... the same size tire will still only fit into the same size fender well ... HOWEVER - by raising the fender well, the tire doesn't have to go as far INTO it ... if that makes any sense ... but the true reason for any lift, is not for ground clearance really ... its 'cause it is so "darn" cool! :aok:

Dude if you could take some pics of how to do it that would be awesome. I really want to lift my ride but I am scared that I will screw it up.

:mellow:

Yes, same here. I would love to see some real-world pics of anything you encounter, before I go down that road. Thanks and good luck!

To anyone who had done the body lift on a 5 sp Pathfinder: does it make for an awkward driving position. A buddy of mine put a 3 in body lift on his toyota and now you have to really reach for the shift lever. Don't want that on my rig.

To anyone who had done the body lift on a 5 sp Pathfinder: does it make for an awkward driving position. A buddy of mine put a 3 in body lift on his toyota and now you have to really reach for the shift lever. Don't want that on my rig.

That was kinda like the question I was gonna ask... Anyway, can someone who has done the body lift tell my what all is effected? Like if you do a 3in body lift will that make my shifter "AutoTrans" 3in shorter? My dad got his 4x4 dodge lifted "body" because he says suspension lift was too costly, now the ball in the middle of his bed "for towing gooseneck trailers" is below the bed altogether and it looks like he's got a big hole right in the middle of his bed. He's not getting it fixed since he never pulls a gooseneck. That ball was from the original owner.