Removing Windows

SaKaNa

OK. Retarded question, but how do I go about taking the glass windows out of my R50? I plan on getting some el-cheapo window tint from walmart, and when I saw the results my friend got when he tried to just stick it on his windows, I couldnt believe how ****** it looked...

I figure that I can get much better results if I actually remove the entire window, set it on the floor on a blanket, and put the sticky dark plastic on ALOT better that way.

...so how do I get these things out?

One thing i have learned from doing tint myself, is its worth the money to pay to have it done. Just had my wife's 01 done the back is already done, got the two front windows done at 15% and it matched the rest of the vehicle., i think it was 85 dollars the did it in about thirty mins.

Walmart tint will also turn purple and bubble up in a few years. Then it will be very hard to take off. Save yourself the pain now, get it done professionally and use a good brand like Solarguard, Lumaster, 3M.

And watch out for the lowballers.

Where would I look at for professionally doing it? I couldnt imagine my mechanic doing it, but I know a guy who owns a body shop... should I see what kind of deal I can get from him?

I've done mine myself before, but I bought the professional stuff, along with proper solution (cleaning and installation)and used a stainless steel blade in my cutter (this will eliminate scratches on your window when you cut the tint). It makes the world of difference. I must add that I've never attempted front side windows (illegal in my area), but I hear that they are a BIATCH to do, due to the fact that they slide.

The only thing is, if you don't know anyone that does tinitng, it will probably cost you as much just for the tint and yes, the Walamrt stuff is junk. It turns purple over time and if not installed properly will bubble and look like crap.

So my advice, unless you really want to learn, is find a car windshield repair shop and get them to do it for you, or buy the good stuff from them.

Denis

Where would I look at for professionally doing it?

No offense, man, but that is a more retarded question than asking how to remove your windows. Go to yellowpages.com, and type in "auto window tint" and your zip code.

Or, use google: auto window tint in philadelphia

Edited by XPLORx4

I would recomend getting it done professionally too. I did the back window in my company-leased chevy pickup andit was a biatch. But I know someone who used to do it professionally and he did his Dodge ram with the wal-mart brand and it has been three years and it has not bubbled or turned purple. If it bubbles it is the installers fault or it is just many years old and seen too much sun and abuse. And there is only one way that stuff turns purple and it says it on the packaging. DO NOT USE AMONIA based cleaners. Windex has amonia. I am not posting this simply to defend wal-mart brand as I prefer 3M as it is just a better product. But I hate it when people say it turns purple when more than likely it is their own fault.

No offense, man, but that is a more retarded question than asking how to remove your windows. Go to yellowpages.com, and type in "auto window tint" and your zip code.

Or, use google: auto window tint in philadelphia

Well, you'd think that if I know someone who owns a body shop, that asking him to do it would mean getting a decent price, instead of getting ripped off just to put some plastic on glass.

Body shop people fix auto bodies - they don't tint windows. They simply don't replace enough windows to justify having a full time Whenever a tinted window needs to be replaced, most likely they call a mobile guy to come and tint it. (There are a lot of mobile tint installers - some of them are great)

Putting "plastic on glass" may sound easy but believe me, it takes a lot of experience, a steady set of hands, and patience to do it right. I paid $240 to get all 9 windows tinted on my QX4 - it is a professional job with a lifetime warranty.

Those cuts are not easy to do. Also - it needs to be a very clean environment - a single piece of dust or a single hair under the tint will create a hideous bubble in the tint. My QX4 took four hours to do, and the guy still had to redo two windows after I noticed pieces of dust. So that's 6 hours total - by a professional. How long would it take you to do a similar job? A few years of experience and several hours for the tint job. WIthout the experience - you won't be able to achieve professional tint. It will look like tweeker tint - horrible cuts and bubbles. Go to a reputable shop, trust me.

Edited by FUELER

And there is only one way that stuff turns purple and it says it on the packaging. DO NOT USE AMONIA based cleaners. Windex has amonia. I am not posting this simply to defend wal-mart brand as I prefer 3M as it is just a better product. But I hate it when people say it turns purple when more than likely it is their own fault.

Sorry, but I did 3 of my last trucks myself, two with the Walmart brand and one with the 3M or similar quality stuff and only the two Walmart brands turned purple. These were company vehicle washed with the same window cleaner brand used for the last ten years to clean the windows on our machines, so I have to blame the crappy tint for turning purple......however although I manged to do a fairly decent job on the tints, there were slight inperfections and a couple of specs of dust. If I would have paid to get it done, it would have come out perfect because they probably would have redone them.

OK. Retarded question, but how do I go about taking the glass windows out of my R50? I plan on getting some el-cheapo window tint from walmart, and when I saw the results my friend got when he tried to just stick it on his windows, I couldnt believe how ****** it looked...

I figure that I can get much better results if I actually remove the entire window, set it on the floor on a blanket, and put the sticky dark plastic on ALOT better that way.

...so how do I get these things out?

I have heard the rear quarter windows are almost impossible to get out. Somewhere on the forum is a post by someone who was parting out his R50 and he could not get those windows out.

So go the tint route as all else have suggested. We got our Sienna done for less than $300 CDN, through the Toyota dealer when we bought the van. They sub'd it out to a local guy.

So if you need advise on someone to do it, ask your friendly Nissan dealer who they use.

Sorry, but I did 3 of my last trucks myself, two with the Walmart brand and one with the 3M or similar quality stuff and only the two Walmart brands turned purple. These were company vehicle washed with the same window cleaner brand used for the last ten years to clean the windows on our machines, so I have to blame the crappy tint for turning purple......however although I manged to do a fairly decent job on the tints, there were slight inperfections and a couple of specs of dust. If I would have paid to get it done, it would have come out perfect because they probably would have redone them.

Well maybe you got some really crappy stuff and maybe wal-mart has gotten some better stuff since you tinted your windows. I know that my buddies dodge actually still looks really good. I ride dirtbikes with the guy and he pulls our bikes a good bit of the time and 3 years on his dodge and it still looks great. And I know he only uses a special tinted glass cleaner to clean his windows. I know this because he is really anal about his truck. If he gets any dirt or mud on it when we go ridin he washes it right after we get back and he unloads his bike. But ya never know maybe he just got lucky with his tint...................

Wao, I wish I lived in the states so I can tint all of you guys windows and make some extra money.

That's a lot of money for getting your windows tinted. I dit it myself and cost me about $50 to do all

9 windows. I didn't do the front window because its a very dark tint I put on, that will give some

problems driving at night. The back window I do in 2 pieces to keep the corners from bubbling or

opening up.

Its not really necessary to take out the windows, take out the rubbers. (taking out the windows will

make the job easier do) The trick is use a lot of water with lots of soap in it, that soap where u wash the

dishes with, that way u can move the foil any place u want. U even can take it of again to remove that hair

or dirt. Use a special rubber tool or a credit card to get the bubbles out, again with lost of water. After that

it will dry up nice and smooth. When its dry cut of the foil that's sticking out on the sites with a sharp

'stainless steel' blade to finish it up. I know myself it has to look like its factory tinted. U just have to do it

and give it a tray before spending so much money. Maybe u go wrong the first window but u learn from that.

I know its not easy but its also not that difficult.

Lots of water with soap and Patience.

Good luck

I got mine done at Auto Truck Outfitters on 202 in Glen Mills. They guarantee it for life. There is a good place on Baltimore Pike as well, called Trek. They do a great job, but their prices are a little high. Auto Truck Outfitters is worth the drive.

There is a place here in San Diego called Tint Devil, they want $400 to tint an entire Pathfinder with their best product, but it's worth it - they do the best tint work i've ever seen, and trust me, i've seen a lot of tint.

http://www.tintdevil.com/

Edited by FUELER

I got mine done at Auto Truck Outfitters on 202 in Glen Mills. They guarantee it for life. There is a good place on Baltimore Pike as well, called Trek. They do a great job, but their prices are a little high. Auto Truck Outfitters is worth the drive.

Glen Mills is *far*. I talked to the guy who owns a body shop and he told me to go to a place on Rt73 here in NJ and tell them that he refered me to them, and they'll do it fairly cheap.