Performance Enhancing Drugs In Pro Sports

mws

Drugs in pro sports - Follow bicycling's lead?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should other sports crack down like bicycling has?

• Yes. Although expensive and time consuming, it needs to be done.
    • Kinda. Crack down a little on some of the less popular and more blatant (NFL approach)
    • No. Continue pretending it doesn't exist (Baseball's approach)
    • No. Let players do what they want. It's their lives.

After seeing all the negative press about the Tour de France and how some feel the sport is at risk of becoming less popular and losing ratings, I became concerned. I mean, shouldn't we as fans be glad at least one sport is trying to clean itself up?

For those not knowing of which I speak, the race organizers, team management, team sponsors, and many riders supported and exhibited an EXTREMELY aggressive approach with regards to performance enhancing drugs and blood doping. Not only were several riders immediately disqualified for failing a drug test, the race leader was withdrawn by his team management for lying about why he missed a random drug test months before the race.

Yet much of the media was falling all over itself saying how badly this reflects on the sport... I don't get it. I think denying the problem or trying to ignore it should be considered far worse! I personally respect the effort and have become even more supportive of the sport.

Pro baseball is worst offender. It's obviously out of control, yet Barry plays on....

Pro football is barely better. I think they are afraid to get aggressive because it would result in extensive player suspensions and firings. They clearly fear that would result in ratings and $$$ losses.

Pro wrestling is such a joke I won't even consider it a sport.

And any sport that is not actively admitting it has a problem is in denial.

But maybe I'm in left field for feeling this way, so time for a poll. How do you feel about it?

Yet much of the media was falling all over itself saying how badly this reflects on the sport... I don't get it. I think denying the problem or trying to ignore it should be considered far worse!

But maybe I'm in left field for feeling this way, so time for a poll. How do you feel about it?

so, who won last yeat? and where was he this year? ;)

yeah, i don't get it why the media has reacted the way it has but, on the surface it all make it seem like all bikers are doping.. all the "good" ones anyway.. and what drug issues in american sports are you talking about? Darel Strawberry? Ricky Williams? performance enhancing? lol.. ;) ;)

i voted completely opposite of you just because i think that's just the way it is.. i definitely want to see very very tight controls on the olympics but otherwise i think it's kind of a waste.. i'm thinking that the general population does more drugs then pro athletes, percentagewise anyway. if that's what they want too put into their bodies, that's their choice.

rasmussen getting kicked out bothers me because it was all caused by a lie not doping. as to him missing drug tests, if it's outside of the tour i'm good with that too. if he is clean at every stop then wtf? i just don't like these kind of excertions of power over people's lives.

the tour was still awesome and it's not going anywhere except through french countryside.

I think the "pros" ought to be able to do whatever they want, or feel they need to do to be the best. Let events like the Olympics be left for the clean, pure humanity competition. Baseball, Football, etc. let them go nuts on the "enhancements" if they want. Or maybe start a new league of elite, over drugged, roid ragers that way the crybaby purists can still watch their boring old games. :shrug:

Truely, I could care less. I think "watching" sports is idiotic. Our gross national waist line might receed if people actually went out and played a sport rather than be a potato.

I voted no.

Make it mandatory for all athletes (just don't call them athletes anymore) to take drugs, that way sport will be fair. The guys that put the effort in (what a waste of time) just to get beaten by a cheat on drugs will not be able to complain like "crybaby purists" any longer. Loosing will be their own fault. Athletes of all nations should have the right to protect themselves, and joining the drug club is the most logical way to do it. I'd go so far as to say there should be a law demanding that they do so too.

I am compelled to use something from another thread to illustrate the logic I am using.. I haven't the time to change the wording but the message is the same.

banana4552.jpg

Now I have had my fun, I will talk seriously..

These guys get paid millions of $$$$$ to ride their hearts out, to train, to workout, to be the best they can be, and most importantly, to be role models. Missing a drug test is a huge no no, and let's not forget he didn't seek to have a make up test either, and he should have. Off season.... this is professional sport, there is no off season. Why should someone be able to enhance their bodies ability with means other than hard work? What next, cut out people all together and have robots do all of the work?

MZ

"getting kicked out bothers me because it was all caused by a lie not doping. as to him missing drug tests, if it's outside of the tour i'm good with that too. if he is clean at every stop then wtf? i just don't like these kind of excertions of power over people's lives."

It was his own team mates that kicked him out, other athletes, athletes that worked hard to get where they are. I think they did the right thing. It certainly sets an example.

Keep it in perspective too. There is multi million $ sponsorships to be won or lost. Any cloud over a person that misses a test could cost the team everything. Besides that, drugs in sport is bad, as is drug taking socially re you and I, and companies don't want a bar of it.

It is hard enough worrying about my kids and the choice that they might make when they are confronted with drugs. I'd hate to see open acceptance of it in any form. It would mean that my drilling them for years about the dangers..... I just don't want to even think about it.

I think we are all in denial.

go back to sports before performance enhancers. totally different game (use that term lightly)

If you took away all the drugs used today in professional sports you would have to change the game.

Not that I agree, Just the way i see it.

I turned down playing sports longer than i did because of certian implications that were made.. and asked.

These guys get paid millions of $$$$$ to ride their hearts out, to train, to workout, to be the best they can be, and most importantly, to be role models.

Back the truck up man, they are not paid to be role models. What idiot fans decide they are is entirely from the fan. That is why a lot of the "bad" role-model types are still there. They are paid to play, that's it.

Some do however, make money on the side trying to be some sort of voice to be listened to. Why it is so funny when the ones paid like that go bad.

Back the truck up man, they are not paid to be role models. What idiot fans decide they are is entirely from the fan. That is why a lot of the "bad" role-model types are still there. They are paid to play, that's it.

I beg to differ.

They are paid to be role models, and paid very well indeed. The more 'honest and decent' they are the more marketable they become. Large companies are only too willing to associate their product with success and spend mega $$$ on endorsements. Tarnish or even taint that image and the money soon goes away.

I don't know about sports in the US, perhaps that is different there from most other parts of the world when it comes to what is expected of sports persons off the field, so to speak.

As for the idiot fans, I am not talking about fans. I am talking about the athlete that has excelled, the athlete that has his or her face everywhere, the athlete that "kids" aspire to be like, the role model they "have" become, like it or not. Role models are looked up to by impressionable kids, not adults. Adults have favourites from there team usually and would mind if so and so defected to our side, we don't aspire to be like them though, do we?. Kids just don't see it like that. Haven't you noticed that kids don't care what race car is driven, what place or team 'their' role model comes from? They just want to be like that... That's why the bad role model is a bad role model.

It's your own damn fault if you make the mistake of allowing your child to idolize someone. Don't blame the idol, or anyone else for the faults you might find with the idol.

WOE! Now we have an idol?? You don't think that you're getting just a little bit carried away with it?

I certainly didn't realise it is a mistake to let your child look up to someone. I didn't even know, till now, that it is wrong. I can understand that you wouldn't want a child to look up to you or Bush. But suggesting that a decent and well respect person should not be looked up to? That to me is just crazy. :crazy:

Are you suggesting we lock up our kids and beat them if they admire someone or see them as a role model? Should we bare arms and kill those decent, honest, hard working role models too?

I missed where I blamed someone too? You'll have to enlighten me.

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

You miss my point. My point is they are only a role model because you make them one. You are the one that gets the let down when they "fall", becvause you were the one that placed them on the pedistal. Whether the athlete is using drugs or not, he/she is doing it for themselves or their team, not for you or your kids.

As for idols, tell me kids don't idolize famous type people. You just hope the idolize someone you would coincider a roll model right?

Just remember, they are only making the big $$$ because you idiots pay to see them.

You miss my point. My point is they are only a role model because you make them one. You are the one that gets the let down when they "fall", becvause you were the one that placed them on the pedistal. Whether the athlete is using drugs or not, he/she is doing it for themselves or their team, not for you or your kids.

As for idols, tell me kids don't idolize famous type people. You just hope the idolize someone you would coincider a roll model right?

Just remember, they are only making the big $$$ because you idiots pay to see them.

I sure did miss your point. I miss it even more when you attempt to explain yourself too. Please point out how I make role models? Point out where I said I give a f*ck when they fall too.

As for kids idolising someone?? You seem to know more than me on that count. I will ask my kids if they do or have ever idolised (Verb 1. idolise - love unquestioningly and uncritically or to excess; venerate as an idol; "Many teenagers idolized the Beatles") a person, that way I will be able to answer your question. Will the Wiggles count?

I do know that they had role models (Noun 1. role model - someone worthy of imitation; "every child needs a role model") though. My son had a couple of Footy players, from different teams when he was about 6 or 7. He also had a teacher at school that was a role model for him too. My daughter has her mother.... So yes, I really do miss your point, don't I?

I think you are losing the plot. What runners/shoes do you have on your feet? Any particular "T" shirts you like most...... get real!

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

Children's role models are in the hands of their parents for the most part. If I were to raise my son from day 1 sitting in front of the tube every Sunday or Monday afternoon watching, oh I don't know, Michel Vick and his Atlanta Falcons, and constantly praise him, worship him and make him the superhuman being that he's really not, I'm sure that son, once reaching the age where he realizes he has some independence, would continue to worship him as he always did during his youth, regardless of the fact that he's a scum bag and doesn't deserve to ever touch a football for the National Football League again.

It's up to Mom and Dad who they allow their kids to be exposed to at those vulnerable ages...they need to pick wisely.

A child whose raised by a predjudiced family towards a particular demographic will eventually become a bigot himself...again...blame the parents.

I think, if anything else, it's the values and morals that good parents instill in their children that will eventually give those kids the opportunity to make good choices with who the idolise/worship.

In an ideal world, Mom and Dad would be the greatest role models in their childrens' lives.

Heh heh, remember "Be like Mike"? Can't everyone "Be Like Mike" anymore?? :lol:

Edited by navygz19

I think you are losing the plot. What runners/shoes do you have on your feet? Any particular "T" shirts you like most...... get real!

I wear generic skater shoes and work boots. Most of my T-shirts are from work or offroading (parks, clubs, etc). Your point on that?

go GG, idolizing sport figures is just plain messed up. idolizing someone for their physical prowlessness is crazy, not that many don't do it. same for motor sports.. i mean, really, what's good about these guys? seriously.. i'm asking here..

i think that's partially the problem these days.. how about idolizing Einstein or someone actually worthy of emulating.. teachers, for the most part are great role models.. parents should be the no.1 role model in their kids lives though. i never really idolized any sports "heroes." i have liked some but i didn't care to become like any of them. i am myself and i am just fine with that. i sure wouldn't want to be like anyone else.

the funny thing is that i must be about opposite of that as one can be.. if, let's say, MJ is pushing the air jordans then that is the shoe i will never buy. lol.. because the way i see it is that they make plenty of money as it is and i will not fill their pockets further by purchasing the product they are pushing.. i liken it to pushing drugs. really what's the difference? i guess i have always been rebelious like that. ;):D

Children's role models are in the hands of their parents for the most part. If I were to raise my son from day 1 sitting in front of the tube every Sunday or Monday afternoon watching, oh I don't know, Michel Vick and his Atlanta Falcons, and constantly praise him, worship him and make him the superhuman being that he's really not, I'm sure that son, once reaching the age where he realizes he has some independence, would continue to worship him as he always did during his youth, regardless of the fact that he's a scum bag and doesn't deserve to ever touch a football for the National Football League again.

It's up to Mom and Dad who they allow their kids to be exposed to at those vulnerable ages...they need to pick wisely.

A child whose raised by a predjudiced family towards a particular demographic will eventually become a bigot himself...again...blame the parents.

I think, if anything else, it's the values and morals that good parents instill in their children that will eventually give those kids the opportunity to make good choices with who the idolise/worship.

In an ideal world, Mom and Dad would be the greatest role models in their childrens' lives.

Heh heh, remember "Be like Mike"? Can't everyone "Be Like Mike" anymore?? :lol:

So you agree, role models should be of good character. The parents always have to make sure that their kids are on the right track and that goes for everything. Young kids choose their role models. I never watched a Sydney game unless it was against my team and I certainly never watched the Wiggles either. Yet these things inspired my son? And as they get older you soon find you can not choose their friends either. You can only hope to guide them. Hopefully they see.

The term "idolise" and what it means is far removed from the 'role model criteria' that this started out on. My son is yet to idolise/worship anyone.... perhaps he hasn't met the right girl yet?

I couldn't agree more.

GG would have you killed for that comment.

I wear generic skater shoes and work boots. Most of my T-shirts are from work or offroading (parks, clubs, etc). Your point on that?

Skater shoes; interesting? Why skater shoes? And what of the "T" shirts that aren't advertising your employers company or an off road club?

Are you ever going to clarify your replies to any of my postings? I still can't see where you are coming from and your lack of explanation isn't helping.

I am waiting for you to ramp up your rapture and use the "god" next . Or are you building to it? After all, role model became idol, so the next step for you will be Jesus wont it? Or will you skip that and go straight to god first?

I can with a little poetic license see your next rave. It might look like this.... You miss my point. My point is they are only a GOD because you make them one. You are the one that gets the let down when they "fall", becvause you were the one that placed them on the alter. Whether the GOD is using drugs or not, he/she is doing it for themselves or their team, not for you or your kids.

As for GOD, tell me kids don't idolize famous type people. You just hope the idolize someone you would coincider a roll model right?

Gee, better not have any church folk see this... They'd be outraged.

go GG, idolizing sport figures is just plain messed up. idolizing someone for their physical prowlessness is crazy, not that many don't do it. same for motor sports.. i mean, really, what's good about these guys? seriously.. i'm asking here..

i think that's partially the problem these days.. how about idolizing Einstein or someone actually worthy of emulating.. teachers, for the most part are great role models.. parents should be the no.1 role model in their kids lives though. i never really idolized any sports "heroes." i have liked some but i didn't care to become like any of them. i am myself and i am just fine with that. i sure wouldn't want to be like anyone else.

the funny thing is that i must be about opposite of that as one can be.. if, let's say, MJ is pushing the air jordans then that is the shoe i will never buy. lol.. because the way i see it is that they make plenty of money as it is and i will not fill their pockets further by purchasing the product they are pushing.. i liken it to pushing drugs. really what's the difference? i guess i have always been rebelious like that. ;):D

GG is the only one that made reference to an idol. Idols weren't being talked about. Christ knows why he did. He seems to have plucked idol out of thin air? ... I just think he doesn't know the difference between an idol and a role model. Hence, I put a a vague online dictionary explanation of both for him. Please mz, stop confusing the two, there are completely different.

GG quote re role models.... "My point is they are only a role model because you make them one. You are the one that gets the let down when they "fall", becvause you were the one that placed them on the pedistal. Whether the athlete is using drugs or not, he/she is doing it for themselves or their team, not for you or your kids." WTF?

Then he somehow goes to this?

"As for idols, tell me kids don't idolize famous type people. You just hope the idolize someone you would coincider a roll model right?"

Pulled straight out of his arse?

And finishes with this??

"Just remember, they are only making the big $$$ because you idiots pay to see them." We have moved completely away from athletes being role models and impressionable kids to this..... me, you, us, everyone, hell, I don't know, idiots.

I don't know, it might just be me but all of the above is just crap and I truly don't understand how any thinking person can make any sense of it, and I am not talking about the spelling mistakes. I am still waiting for his answers. lol

technically those two words have different meanings but here they are kind of interchangable and here, kids idolize their role models. lol

It's not like you to take a cheap cop out mz. They are indeed two different things.... Completely different.

wow...hostility in a thread on a truck board, not related to trucks. Who could have seen this coming? :rolleyes:

V6, you're splitting hairs. I agree that idolizing someone, and that a person being a role model are different things. However, typically those, especially children, who have an idol, also see those folks as a role model, as MZ said. Whether they're a good role model is completely irrelevant.

Personally, pro athlete or not, taking performance enhancing drugs is wrong. I wouldn't do it, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, no matter what their profession and/or activity.

I voted "Kinda" simply because I think certain "performance enhancers" are ridiculous. Many cold medications, available over the counter are not allowed to be used by anyone competing in the olympics. That's ridiculous to me. Steroids, obviously should be banned, and their used tested for extensively.

If some football/basketball/baseball/hockey/soccer player wants to smoke pot before/during/after a game...who cares.....when has ANYONE ever been MORE productive, or faster, or more able when stoned?

If some football/basketball/baseball/hockey/soccer player wants to smoke pot before/during/after a game...who cares.....when has ANYONE ever been MORE productive, or faster, or more able when stoned?

You've never seen a hippy artist have you? :D