So.... Where's Your Fire Extinguisher Located?

GhostPath

Given the recent vehicle fires both among the board members and here in the Dallas area, I thought it'd be a good idea to install a fire extinguisher in my Pathfinder now, even though it's not running yet. (I normally keep one in each of my operational vehicles anyway.)

So... where did you all put your extinguishers?

Given the recent vehicle fires both among the board members and here in the Dallas area, I thought it'd be a good idea to install a fire extinguisher in my Pathfinder now, even though it's not running yet. (I normally keep one in each of my operational vehicles anyway.)

So... where did you all put your extinguishers?

Great question! .. I was just about to go down to walmart and buy a vehicle sized fire extinguisher and mount it.. After hearing about the car fires it reminded me that I need one in my pathy.

2 thoughts...

#1. I would think it should be accessible from the drivers seat

#2. And definitely secured.. my brothers fire extinguisher wasn't secured properly ... one morning he woke up to go to work and the inside of his car looked like a winter nativity scene :P

I currently I have mine laying on the floor behind the passenger seat. However, I have a 2-door and I keep the rear seats folded down -- so that option might be out for you 4-doorer's out there...

I am planning on mounting the fire extinguisher to the rear spare tire mount...but again many of you might not have that layout. I worry that it will make the fire extinguisher less accessible...but I'll just have to be extra quick on my feet if something bad ever does happen (God I hope not...)

If anyone is interested I'll post pics of the modified spare tire mount in the future...

Edited by rustyole88pathy

I need to get 1...and will once the 87 is back fully operational...and I really thought about after reading Pavlows experience with 3 extinguishers I thought about installing a solenoid operated fuel shut off valve and/or a fire suppression system in the engine bay

luckly for me my only close encounter was a battery melt down and my quick (stupid) reaction kept her from going POOF (the reaction was coast into parking space pop hood go @!*% SMOKE yelled at the gf to get out...grabbed my wrench out of the tool box and went to loosen the clamp (didnt even think about shock) the post pulled out of the battery battery quit smoking taped up cable and got the new battery installed and drove the last 200 miles home

I currently I have mine laying on the floor behind the passenger seat. However, I have a 2-door and I keep the rear seats folded down -- so that option might be out for you 4-doorer's out there...

why? my seats fold down just like yours. that's where mine is right now but it's most likely going to end up on the passenger's side of the center console.

automotive fires are so quick that if it's not within hand's reach, you should just abandon ship.

Cargo area, passenger's side on the wall just inside the hatch. It's accessible via window or hatch from the rear.

I got two vehicle fire extinguishers from Home Depot ($9.85), which came with mounting brackets. I looked around and found the perfect spot in the car to mount one bracket and unit to - almost like a factory fitment.

IMG_1662.sized.jpg

IMG_1664.sized.jpg

Accessible through the rear hatch/window or through the rear side door. One hard tug and it's in my hand.

automotive fires are so quick that if it's not within hand's reach, you should just abandon ship.

Eh... I've been in a few and fought a few. Depends on the car and the nature of the fire. Usually you have 15-30 seconds to get to your extinguisher and put it out - assuming it didn't catch in the oil immediately, in which case you might as well just watch it burn.

One in the back ready to hand within 10 seconds should be fine - assuming you have a fire drill for your car and you practice (I do - getting stuck in a burning XJS tends to make you cautious). It is certainly better than nothing.

That said, there's really no good place to put one in front (at least in my 93) where it won't either roll around or be awkwardly mounted. I'm going to make a bracket to tie the remaining one in latitudinally between the two front seat mount bolts.

Edited by GhostPath

I agree. By the time you notice smoke or a fire, and if it's already caught the wiring, you want to be leaving your drivers seat with the extinguisher in your hand. I had no time to run to the back to get it out and it would have been hopeless if I was on the trail on uneven terrain. It now sits on the passenger side tranny hump.

I mounted mine on the front passenger seat support beam between the seat brackets. It doesn't interfere at all with passenger leg room or ingress/egress, and is very easy to access from the driver's seat.