Engine Wont Start

PATHY90

well i finished doing my timing belt up everything back together then started the truck and let it idel for 2 min to get the coolent flowing so i can top it of. i jumped in to rev the engine a bit and all of a sudden she dieing and then dies. i crank her once ti she if she starts and nothing. so now i'm stumped as to what happened. i'm thinking belt valves but wouldn't that happen when she wa ideling? i didn't hear any loud bangs. could i have messed the timing just a bit when i was taking out the cam gear that it didn't belt till i reved it? any one has any ideas i'm going to redo the timing again but i wanted to kow if there is a way to center all the timing if it's the belt? i've done timing belt 4 times before with out any problem but this is the first that this happened to me.. just for reference i lined up the pully markings, dizzy with the number one and the two cams with there respecful markings ( little indents with the dot on the back cover.)

can some one give me some input.. i'll let you guys know whats happening when i take everything off ans look at the timing belt? :rant2:

thanks in advance for all input

I'd check the silly stuff before pulling the timing cover again. You might have knocked a vacuum hose off or ran out of gas or something. Then again it could be coincedence and not related to your belt change at all. Good luck.

Sounds like you did it right and just forgot somethig, maybe even something silly like as mentioned above.

IF it fired up all normal the first time you had it all right, if it was off to start with it would have protested, coughed, etc greatly.

But a thought, did you remember to torque properly everything? If not it could have slipped right after starting and thrown it off. I did that once before on a GM, it slipped out of time after a minute or so.

Run your codes to be sure... Crank Angle Sensor... worse case is you eliminate a potential cause. then you get to move in deeper, broken key way or even a slipped one if you did not torque the crank bolt.

Run your codes to be sure... Crank Angle Sensor... worse case is you eliminate a potential cause. then you get to move in deeper, broken key way or even a slipped one if you did not torque the crank bolt.

this might sound dum but how do you run the codes??

There's instructions in a sticky in the garage section. Very easy to do, as the ECU is under the passenger seat, and will flash codes out at you once you put it in the right mode.

..but why would my throudel be stuck. i really had to push it down to get a respone..

Hmm, ... are the throttle cables OK? Check the cables and linkages right up to the throttle-plate; maybe the plate is having a problem/closed; does it move easily when activated by hand at the intake?

Try manually holding the throttle-plate open (in the engine bay) while starting it.

some other silly things to check...it still in fact does have fuel...check all the plug wires to make sure they're all still connected good..and before pulling the entire TB cover off i would pull the top off to make sure the belt is tight (just to verify that the tensioner didnt break or wasnt tightened down) and then if you dont locate anything else i would pull the cover off and verify everything

well i took the top cover off and one off my cam gears weren't tourged right. so now i have to redone the job. my only concern is how do i set teh TDC again since i'm sure the timing is off. the cam gears should be no problem since i just line them up with there respected marks but what about the oil pump pully. b/c it takes two rotations to equal one of teh cam rotation. or is that pully connected to the dizzy? so i just have to set the dizzy to the number 1 position?

as for the throttel i was cleaning out the TB b/c there was carbon on it so i'm guessing it just got stuck

Edited by PATHY90

What? You forgot to torque the cam bolt? Wasn't there some other dork around here who did that?

:crossedwires:

Resetting is not a problem. If you're real lucky, you bought one of the belts with the lines already on it. If you don't have marks, it only takes a second to put marks on with a paint pen or liquid paper after counting teeth.

The crankshaft has a mark on it as well. Line that one up first and then line up the other two from there. RECOUNT after torquing the tensioner AND both cam pulleys.

What? You forgot to torque the cam bolt? Wasn't there some other dork around here who did that?

:crossedwires:

Resetting is not a problem. If you're real lucky, you bought one of the belts with the lines already on it. If you don't have marks, it only takes a second to put marks on with a paint pen or liquid paper after counting teeth.

The crankshaft has a mark on it as well. Line that one up first and then line up the other two from there. RECOUNT after torquing the tensioner AND both cam pulleys.

the belt has markings but they don't line up so i marked the belt my self.. but i don't know if it slipped a tooth or the timing is really messed.which meant all three marking might not line up.

ok after taking a closer look at the carnage of my what happened i destroyed the cam gears and the cams. so now i need to pick up new one. can some one point me to a online store were i could buy then. thanks

You need just 1 cam gear??? Square or Round Teeth???

hehe, are the left and right gears inter changeable??? the one I have is for the Passenger side.... with square teeth.... I also have the passenger side Cam

Edited by Casey.T

You need just 1 cam gear??? Square or Round Teeth???

hehe, are the left and right gears inter changeable??? the one I have is for the Passenger side.... with square teeth.... I also have the passenger side Cam

no i dont think they are interchangeable. they are clearly marked r/l and i need both left and right. they are square teeth.

TDC is actually pretty easy to determine. Just pull the #1 spark plug, put your finger over the hole and turn the crank. When you feel air blowing your finger off the spark plug hole, you're on the compression stroke. At that point, put a pencil or a stick or something that won't harm the piston head into the spark plug hole and rotate the crank until the stick is at its highest point. Voila, TDC.

But since you're cam gears were spun, are you sure that you're valves are ok? If they were in the wrong position when the pistons came up they'll prolly be bent.

TDC is actually pretty easy to determine. Just pull the #1 spark plug, put your finger over the hole and turn the crank. When you feel air blowing your finger off the spark plug hole, you're on the compression stroke. At that point, put a pencil or a stick or something that won't harm the piston head into the spark plug hole and rotate the crank until the stick is at its highest point. Voila, TDC.

But since you're cam gears were spun, are you sure that you're valves are ok? If they were in the wrong position when the pistons came up they'll prolly be bent.

I'll take a look at the valves just in case but she started no problem it's only when i gave her gas i think the cam pulleys broke b/c i didn't toruqed them right. i'm hopeing nothing happened since u wasn't driving but yoou never know

Pointy teeth? Hrr? There are two kinds, round and square tooth. The round-tooth belt has a 105,000 mile change interval, the square-tooth belt has a 60K interval. I believe you can swap the sprockets, not too sure about the crank gear matching up though. If you find one, try to fit it on there and let us know.

I'd take $25 plus ship for some cam gears. Let me know. :)

Pointy teeth? Hrr? There are two kinds, round and square tooth. The round-tooth belt has a 105,000 mile change interval, the square-tooth belt has a 60K interval. I believe you can swap the sprockets, not too sure about the crank gear matching up though. If you find one, try to fit it on there and let us know.

I'd take $25 plus ship for some cam gears. Let me know. :)

so the pointy teeth one are for the chain t-belts then. as for the cam gears. let me know how much shipping will cost to 96819 b/c i'll take them now i just have to find some cams..

uhh there is a 90 path in the JY near me ill see if it can scavenge some parts out of it for you. you pay for shipping and ill send them too you ill check back on tomorrow and let you know if they were usable or still there... but it wasnt in to bad of condition might not be there