Hydro-locked 3.5l

XPLORx4, easy through water eh?...my favorite video on your site, you racing through a stream..easy? HA! ********************************

(or at least know where the intake is, to prevent future occurrences!)

Right back at ya! :) One of the first things I did after I bought the Pathy was to figure out where the intake was.

I'm going to see if insurance would give me anything for it, what I owe on it, and what a wrecker would give me for it.

oh, that's not good :(

Careful there Orange....that dude may easily know how to fix it and want to take your rig!!! get another opinion!! Trust no one person, trust a couple anyhow! If you are bailing out, holler for the bumper...err unless you are getting another one!!! :aok:

Chances are that you'll be able to get a few dollars back for the fried engine. I just looked on eBay and there was a blown VQ35 out of a 350Z that the wrecker was asking $1300 for.

I'm surprised that the engines are that expensive. I'll take a look around at a few sites and see what I can find.

I'm close to putting a snorkel on mine. I seem to get the air filter soaked EVERY time I go through water, but never managed to actually hydro-lock the engine.

I'm close to putting a snorkel on mine. I seem to get the air filter soaked EVERY time I go through water, but never managed to actually hydro-lock the engine.

Do you have your inner fender lining intact on your drivers side?

Just so you all know I havn't ditched the truck yet... I loaded it up on a U-Haul and towed it to a friends property out of town. He's the guy I usually forward all issues with my Kenworth to, and he seemed to be greatfull to save me the install by lending some room at his place. So tomorrow if I find time I'm going to pull out the radiator and supports, exhaust manifolds, AC system and stuff like that before he gets involved in dropping the front diff and pulling the engine out. I've decided to at the very least pull the heads to see what sort of damage there is before ordering up a wrecker engine.

nissan complete is $12699.They don't sell the long block.

Id check out http://www.ninfiniti.com/index.asp they might have some good deals on used engines

If you call Nissan Only Wreckers, ask for a guy named McKenzie. He's the one who called me when I submitted an inquiry for the rest of the S/C parts I need. Super nice guy and very helpful. They've usually been a little bit more expensive than the others on most parts, but with the S/C parts they're right on. I'd give them a try.

Guess I've gotten lucky in the past. Had to winch myself out of this one. :tongue:

537044230_DSCN0514.JPG

Edited by tmorgan4

Orangetang is

what you did?

Sounds like he over-revved the hell out of it right as he hit a "deeper" part of the rut, which was on the drivers side. Subsequently, that's also where his intake is (inside the drivers' side wheel well) Looks/sounds like he timed it just right.

It really doesn't take much to suck water...

Edited by navygz19

In the tow truck pic, that is the wrong way to tow a pathfinder. That will spin the rear driveshaft but since the fronts aren't moving, the mechanical oil pump in the 4x4 transfer case is not working.

Best way to tow a 4x4 Pathfinder is on a flatbed, or with dollies (all wheels off the ground) , but if you really must, lift it from the rear with a wheel lift (i wouldnt do this on mine).

On WD21's you can tow it on the rear wheels with the t-case in neutral. Says not to in the manual, but people do it all the time and it works fine.

If you really damaged it by hydrolocking the engine the heads should be fine, it's going to be the rods or bottom end that are messed up. What happens is water enters the cylinder and fills it, then when the piston comes back up with both valves closed (compression stroke), it tries to compress a cylinder full of water and the rods can't take that much pressure, so one or more of the rods bend. If they bend badly enough they can prevent the engine from turning over.

• 2 months later...
Chances are that you'll be able to get a few dollars back for the fried engine. I just looked on eBay and there was a blown VQ35 out of a 350Z that the wrecker was asking $1300 for.

I'm surprised that the engines are that expensive. I'll take a look around at a few sites and see what I can find.

Do you have your inner fender lining intact on your drivers side?

Hmmm... so I took out that airbox/snorkel-esque looking contraption (can't come up with it's name at the moment) that attaches to the air filter box in the driver's side front wheel well a while ago to get more airflow (a 'custom' intake). It did give a slight increase in performance, but... That was probably a dumb thing to do, reading these posts and watching these videos, and given my liking of big water holes and splashes. I thinks I will re-install the thing very soon...

post-688-1185071223_thumb.jpg

This is a long shot, but can I drop the diesel out of the Patrol into this pathy? What about the 3.5 G35 or 350z engine? Should I stick with a stock 3.5?

patrol diesels

well you would have 3 choices

1. td42

2. rd28

3. zd30

1. fantastic motor & the only one to have! but youve got absolutely no hope as its a staight 6 & is very long.

2. not heaps of power with this one but not to bad, however again its a straight six.

3. 4 cyl diesel. well the zd30 is like p!ssing in the wind, its only a matter of time before you end up with p!ss all over yourself. its not worth the time of day & nissan should be ashamed of themselves for not sorting this motor out before they put it in a patrol.....

so if your actually serious about a motor swap what about a td27. 4 cyl diesel, same family as a td42.

they respond well to modification i.e turbo & intercooler, pump mod's, exhausts etc. they are tough and can go all day even when modified.

Edited by sw

Ooooooh! Tell me more! Tell me more!

Will that diesel fit in the 99 QX4's? How much whp can you/could you get and what's acceleration like? And can it run on biodiesel?

Just a heads up - converting a gasoline powered vehicle that was not available in the US with a diesel to diesel power is illegal on the Federal level, as well as in your home state of California. Doesn't matter how old the vehicle is, or how new the diesel is, it's illegal.

It makes no sense, but that's what the environazis foisted off on us.

That's a pisser. Yeah, I love trees too. That's why I wanted to switch to biodiesel. Stupid hippies. I could get that law changed, it's not really hard. It just takes a hell of a lot of effort.

Well, maybe I'll do the hybrid conversion. It's only $25K. But, maybe it'll be cheaper by the time I can afford it!

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I never replied to this once the engine was in, but the install went well and i'm running an identical VQ35DE i grabbed from a wrecker for $1600CAD. It's been running for about a month now with only the voltage regulator dying since then, so all is well. Damage was a bent #3 and #4 piston rod. The rods didn't hit the cylinder walls, but shortened the stroke enough that the counterweight on the crank piled into the side of a piston. Anyone want the engine?