Jtw S-1 Billet Cams On A Vg33

Slick

I am posting this for a friend who is having trouble logging in on his new account (thanks Dan, hopefully we'll see him SOON now). so for now, I figured I'd get the ball rolling for him. Here is his question:

Can anyone tell me if I can withdraw the camshaft from my VG33E Pathfinder with the engine still in situ. I have recently replaced the cylinder heads after having the valves replaced for LPG. Since putting it back together I now want to replace the cams!! I know, don’t say it!!

I know that I will need to remove the Rad and possibly the A/C condenser to allow the cam enough space to come out of the head. I think there is sufficient space to get a socket between the firewall and the cylinder head rear aperture to gain access to the rear cam bolt the holds it in the head on the left hand bank (Bank without the plenum chamber wrapped around it) But the right hand bank looks a bit tight. I am hoping that once the plenum chamber is removed I will have sufficient space to gain access?

I am looking to add the JTW S1 billet cams. Anyone got them fitted. I have read a Nissan Article http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/august04/pathfinder/ that states you can get up to 40 hp gains from just the cams alone on the VG33E due to the soft profile of the OEM cams. Anyone noticed that amount of power gain? I am suspicious and actually expect around 15 hp.

Many thanks for your interest~ marooncobra

Edited by Slick

No you don't have to remove the heads. But sometimes it might be easier to do so. On the back of the engine there is a bolt that holds the cam in. On the R50s its kind of difficult to get to. It really isn't hard, just time consuming.

Well, I have a set of them. They are not installed and I'm not even sure they are OK. I had them in when I was having my engine rebuilt and they guy who rebuilt it F'ed up the engine and it looks like those brand spankin new cams are all scored. I would say that they have less than 2 miles on them. There goes $600. Actually, they may be ok aside from looks. I never got around to sending them back to JW to look at.

Well, I have a set of them. They are not installed and I'm not even sure they are OK. I had them in when I was having my engine rebuilt and they guy who rebuilt it F'ed up the engine and it looks like those brand spankin new cams are all scored. I would say that they have less than 2 miles on them. There goes $600. Actually, they may be ok aside from looks. I never got around to sending them back to JW to look at.

Do you have photo of the damage?

Firstly many thanks to Slick. If we ever meet I owe you a beer!! At last I have got on to the forum.

As I mentioned in my post, I have just rebuilt the engine so I knew about the bolts holding in the cams. It was a question of if there was sufficient room to get a socket in between the fire wall and head. Well as that is a big YES I am off to use my plastic on Ebay and JTW. I would still be interested in peoples comments if they have these cams fitted.

I was going to take a load of photos and write an explanation of what I did to replace the cams but I note from the 'select file' you can only use 150K of space. Is it best to save the whole package and then send to the Web master of this site?

Slick - you are on my Christmas list

When uploading pictures there used to be a 150kb limit, yes. You could do multiple posts with uploads of pics under 150k. I say used to cause the forum software has recently changed and on my account it now says max single upload size is 2mb. And it says that total attachment space is unlimited (it also keeps track of the total I have uploaded). I haven't actually tried larger files as it is pretty easy to compress a jpg down...

The easiest way around it if you can't upload larger pics is just to write the text in your post and link to pictures hosted elsewhere. There are free sites like picvault, imageshack, etc if somebody here on npora can't help out by hosting.

I would love to see pics and description of this done!

Many thanks for info MichiganAve. Will take photos during strip and rebuild. Will then write up text to go with it. May be a while before I do it as the cams have got to come from USA + Rocker arms + Hydraulic lifters and I am away for 6 weeks at the end of this month.

Many thanks for the comment on ratchet wrenches but they will only allow me to remove the coverplates at the rear of the heads. The Camshaft bolts that holds the camshaft in place are reccessed into the head by about 25 mm.

The biggest pain will be if the end play on the camshafts is too great as you have to change washers to get the required end play. Standard 0.03 - 0.06 mm (0.0012 - 0.0024 in)

Had a reply from 98silverpathy who has told me the cams are a great improvement. Just waiting for the post now and a delay of 6 weeks whilst I'm away.

Edited by Marooncobra

Firstly many thanks to Slick. If we ever meet I owe you a beer!! At last I have got on to the forum.

Slick - you are on my Christmas list

:bounce: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! i made it someone's x-mas list!!!!!!!! so flattered! lol.j/k.

glad you got on the forums finally, and let us know how it goes with the cams :beer:

My cams have arrived!! Look the Dogs Boll**ks. The first thing I noticed was the increased size of area (Land) on the lobes. I thought to myself when I last had her stripped down for the LPG conversionhow small the lobes were. When I replace them I will take some photos for you all to see. Role on 8 weeks

• 1 month later...

Thats cool to convert to LPG. Dont really see that here in USA on passenger cars.... the prices of LPG versus Gasoline are so close here that the benefits don't outweigh the costs of installation, and finding an LPG gas station is a pain in the ass here!

Whats funny is, the average American has no idea that cars can be converted to LPG... It is so rare here that the idea of a car running on propane is preposterous to some!

• 3 weeks later...
Thats cool to convert to LPG. Dont really see that here in USA on passenger cars.... the prices of LPG versus Gasoline are so close here that the benefits don't outweigh the costs of installation, and finding an LPG gas station is a pain in the ass here!

Whats funny is, the average American has no idea that cars can be converted to LPG... It is so rare here that the idea of a car running on propane is preposterous to some!

I've seen trucks made up to run on LPG. Guy had a huge frickin tank. It was an old dodge, but I think the guy had a 1500-2000 mile range with the damn thing.

But more importantly, UPDATE ON THE CAM!! I want to know how much extra horsepower you got out of it. I'm doing that in the next few months and want to see how much bang I'm going to get for my buck.

G'day All.

Well I am back from my 6 week course, bl**dy depressing but it is done now.

Hope to get the cams done soon, just waiting for a weekend when 'home command' allows me!! I have also just purchased a full set of front and rear poly bushes for the suspension, and a very nifty and cheap, God bless China, 10 Ton Hydraulic Press off Ebay to help press the old bushes out and the new ones in. I will take photos and post how easy it was to replace once complete.

Not to thread jack but alot of commercial trucks out here are going to propane. And I know a guy who repairs our forklift that has converted his old nissan pickup to propane. He said it was really easy and it is definetely cheaper but he has noticed a bit of a power loss.

Not to thread jack but alot of commercial trucks out here are going to propane. And I know a guy who repairs our forklift that has converted his old nissan pickup to propane. He said it was really easy and it is definetely cheaper but he has noticed a bit of a power loss.

There is a power loss using propane but your engine lasts longer due to propane burning so much cleaner. I heard that the power loss is up to 20%.

LPG conversion is pretty straight forward but in Oz has to be fitted by qualified tech. In UK you can fit yourself so check your local laws. Basics parts are a cylinder for storage, HP pipework to carry liquided LPG to a regulator, LP pipework to carry liquid LPG to heat exchanger, LP pipework to carry LPG Gas to Inlet Manifold mixer valve, electrics for change over switch:

Upsides:

a. The fuel does burn cleaner as it is already a gas and therefore does not need to be atomised.

b. Engines have been known to last a lot longer as the fuel is dry. On initial start up on petrol the fuel removes the oil film on the cylinder wall. With LPG because it is a dry fuel the oil film stays there aiding compression and reducing wear. As there is no carbon deposits formed in the combustion process there is no carbon matter passed into the oil. At a normal oil change (5K) on petrol my oil was black (carbon deposits in suspension). With LPG it is still as clean as when I filled it from the last oil change.

c. LPG in Oz is $0.50 a litre, Unleaded petrol is $1.25.

d. Oz Government gave a $2000 incentive to convert vehicles to LPG so it only cost me $400 for the conversion.

e. I now have a range of approx 750 km without having to stop for fuel. (based on constant speed motorway/highway driving)

Downsides:

a. There is a slight power loss on acceleration (only noticable if you stamp your foot to the floor. Normal acceleration you wouldn't know). Couple of reasons. LPG has a higher octane rating but a lower specific heat capacity value. Due to the higher octane level you have to advance the ignition timing by about 6-7 degrees. As I still have the capability to swap back to petrol at the flick of a switch the timming needs to be a happy mediuum between the two fuels therefore both systems are slightly 'out' of timing. There are 'black boxes' that you can buy to sort this problem out but you need to do some mods to the distributor as it has a buit in coil and I don't know anyone yet who can give me a 100% guarantee it will work once I start stripping and rewiring the dizzy.

b. The 80 ltr cylinder fits in the place where the spare wheel is located. You therefore have to sling your spare wheel in the trunk, on the roof or as I did buy a spare wheel carrier.

c. You can only have the car inspected for its annual test by a garage certified in LPG.

d. The engine runs hotter therefore the cooling fan is under more load. I have twin electrics and have noticed they quick in more often when I am sat stationary. When driving there is no problem as the air flowing over the radiator is sufficient to keep it cool.

e. I had to replace my exhaust valves and valve seats as I had valve seat regression (noticed by increase tappet noises). I have since fitted an upper cylinder lubricator which atomises oil into the inlet manifold and protects the valve seats.