PARDON ME WHILE I BEAT THIS DEAD HORSE

ticker

DO YOU LIKE THE WAY YOUR RANCHO 5000'S RIDE  

10 members have voted

1. 1. DO YOU LIKE THE WAY YOUR RANCHO 5000'S RIDE

• YES
    • NO

AC is running the buy 3 get 4th shock free on Ranchos right now. I've read all the comments about the different shocks out there and have gotten the impression that while alot of us are running them, the 5000's ride kind of rough. I was wondering of someone could quantify that a bit. Right now I have the original 1995 vintage shocks so I'm assuming anything would be an improvement. So the question to me is, Is it like "man this truck rides like S*$t, I just broke a tooth"-kind of rough. Or am I going to be so happy with the ride over blown out stockers that I won't even notice the stiffness. Most of the driving I do is on the road with out any type of payload so I want it to ride comfortably. The 9000's are too expensive even with the good deal.

Edited by ticker

If you have really heavy wheels (31+ on steelies), they are OK. But with smaller tires or alloys, ehh.

Little red had them, I threw them away and replaced with Heckethorns. But many folks love them, so there you go... It really depends on how YOU think a vehicle should ride.

In my mind, the Ranchos are from the mid '80's Trans Am school of damping. Some call it tight and controlled, I call it harsh. Myself, I am from the BMW M3 or Acura NSX school of damping. Or 2007 Baja trophy truck. This probably comes about from my time on the track with my Triumph. Too harsh is just as bad as too soft. I want the wheel to be absolutely in control, but there needs to be enough compliance to follow the road as well. A tire in the air does nothing. I also do not want to feel every little bump... That requires a far more complicated shock, which will cost more to build.

I replied yes, however, my answer comes with an asterisk.

I feel more secure with the stiff RS5000's as I have no sway bars on my truck, and a 3" lift. To me, it has restored the handling I had with my sway bars on. So, I've gained articulation off-road, and retained handling characteristics on the road. Sort of a best of both worlds type of thing.

Okay, about a year ago, I had the stock "electric" shocks (sport/touring) or whatever the button says......I realized that they were the original 1994 shocks, replaced with RS 5000's and you would not believe the difference....yes a tad bit stiffer, but it is a 4x4 and

it shouldn't ride like a Cadillac. It's not extremely bumpy or anything, but a hell of a deal for the price.....I'm sure you could pay big bucks for something far better, but I love the way they work....especially off road....have put the front end in the air many times now offroading, and haven't had one issue.....they perform good on road, but like 'i said, won't be a "luxurious" ride.....IT'S A PATHY though. :)

Doesn't have to be too expensive for better ride. Little gray came to me equipped with a set of Sears Roadtamer shocks. I'm guessing a private labeled Monroe? Any way, even after 80k+ miles, they are an excellent shock - great ride, good control. After that many miles, they were marginal in controlling the 31's on steelies on rough washboard roads, but still excellent with 30's on alloys. They're still there on the front.

I personally don't like my 5000's all that much. i find they will bottom out too easily.

On badly rutted trails it will bottom out, it doesnt help that i'm not running any sway bars, but i'm sure i can get something that will be stiffer.

I'm thinking of changing to another brand, get something abit more stiffer on trails but still smooth for highway ect..

Anyone know if Bilstein's makes shocks for our pathy's? I have always like the way they ride.

Ugh, not again!

:hide: I know, I know, but It's hard to look at all the diffent posts and get a clear idea of if people really like these shocks. I've seen alot of negative as well as positive remarks but they are spread throughout tons of different posts.

BTW-i'm not looking for a "Cadillac" ride I just want it to be comfortable for intown/highway use. I know that the 5000's perform well off road, I guess I'm more concerned with on road charecteristics as this is my DD and we have a baby coming in august so I don't want the ride to be too jarring.

;)

Edited by ticker

Anyone know if Bilstein's makes shocks for our pathy's? I have always like the way they ride.

Yep. :aok:

I actually have rears off of an Xterra on mine, but they have models specific for Pathys.

I just found a great deal on the procomp es 3000. It's 118.79 for 4 at JBCCOFFROAD.com and procomp is offering a $35 rebate which makes it 83.79 plus shipping. Assuming I can get the pathy hooked up with a new alternator(see post in garage) this seems like a better deal for me financially. It also seems like perhaps the pro-comps have a slightly softer ride which is cool with me. Thanks for the feed back on the ranchos, there was nothing here that really swayed me one way or the other so I guess it comes down to the $. I probably won't get the shocks until the weather gets better so I guess I'm still open to your recommendations.

cheers

:beer:

-bounce- i love my 5000's. they are a stiffer shock, but i like that "firm" feel, as i drive mini pretty hard around corners..... they always give me a firm, stable feel.

the ride is a bit harsher, i have the JGCC's witht he shocks, but i like the slightly "stiffer" ride.

they are a greta shock on and off road, but definitely not a soft ride.

I can't give an opinion on the Pathy, but when I first got my Yota it had RS5000's and I replaced them with TrailMaster SSV's (Speed Sensitive Valving)... However I also lifted the truck 4in at the same time.

I am glad I choose the SSV's over another set of RS5000's on the Yota, They are a variable rate shocks which give a forgiving enough on road ride for a lifted, leaf sprung, short wheelbase truck, made even stiffer by the rear lift being provided by an add-a-leaf. But when it came to harder hits off road, they instantly jump up the dampening to better absorb the impact.

I planned on installing SSV's on the Pathy, but the price of them had jumped considerably from when I put them on the Yota (they were brand new to the market then). And since I was limited in funds and had to have new shocks (olds ones were blown) I went with a set of ProComp ES3000's. Which I am happy enough with :aok:

I just found a great deal on the procomp es 3000. It's 118.79 for 4 at JBCCOFFROAD.com and procomp is offering a $35 rebate which makes it 83.79 plus shipping. Assuming I can get the pathy hooked up with a new alternator(see post in garage) this seems like a better deal for me financially. It also seems like perhaps the pro-comps have a slightly softer ride which is cool with me. Thanks for the feed back on the ranchos, there was nothing here that really swayed me one way or the other so I guess it comes down to the $. I probably won't get the shocks until the weather gets better so I guess I'm still open to your recommendations.

cheers

:beer:

Offer always open to come over and I'll help you with anything on your Pathy. :beer: