Highest Milage/Oldest VQ

Alright, that last thread about VQ's longevity got me interested. If I can, please post up how old your VQ is and how many miles and what issues you have had...I am trying to see if the "issues" are just about the same as that of my former VG

I might add that all of the problems with my VG (that weren't caused by me :X ) were tiny knick-knack BS that could happen to any rig on the market!

I am also interest to see if anyone here had any power valve damage on their VQ pathy.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2002, 120,000 km. Only issue: Variable valve timing sensor momentarily goes wonky, throwing a code that sets of the SES light. Sensor has been replaced once. Dealer can not duplicate the issue. I have found by not using cruise control on hills, I get no light. Go figure :shrug:

176,XXX km's on my '01 R50. Thus far we've had to change both intake timing sensors and the MAF sensor, where I chose to try the 01 maxima MAF to save some $. Have now developed an oil leak at what appears to b the oil cooler line on the front passenger side of the engine. I think I read something about this being a common issue somewhere...

Unrelated to the engine though is my anger with wheel bearings... They just don't seem to last as long as they should. We're also having transmission problems whereby the shifts from 1rst to 2nd are very abrupt, especially when the tranny is cold. There is a TSB for this issue, just have to try the repair.

Edited by Daddy Rim

79,XXX on my 02 SE, I've never had any issues w/ it at all.

The one time I realized the oil was low I ruled down to me not adding enough in the first place last time I had changed it. I must have been distracted, phone call, etc. b/c there were extra quarts in the box after I had checked. Thus, I haven't had an issue since with it.

At any rate, about to hit 80K; I'll change the oil again and rotate the tires. No issues to date w/ the engine or tranny, still purrs like new :aok:

165,000 KMs on my 2001 Pathfinder SE with the VQ35. So far the only thing that has gone wrong is that the oil pressure sensor leaks a tiny little bit. I will just change it out the next time I change my oil.

So a $10 part in the first 100,000 miles doesn't bother me one bit. I just hope then next 100,000 miles are as easy...lol

97,xxx miles on my 2002 Pathfinder.

Oil changes at Nissan's suggested interval

Fuel filter changed once

Belts changed once

Engine coolant changed once

No problems other than having to reset the pasenger side "end switch" on the power window two times.

ask this question on a 350z forum....that's where the rumors started.

Let's now compare the way the driver of a 350 drives and how, umm, I drive, or even better the driver of a Pathfinder drives :o

If you flog the sh!t out of a car/engine/transmission, you need to expect to break things.

If I had a 350, I wouldn't exactly be shifting at 2K RPM every traffic light I hit B)

Just my .02, I'm happy with mine, wouldn't want it any other way.

ask this question on a 350z forum....that's where the rumors started.

Interesting...you claim that a VG is the almighty engine, yet in your profile your Pathfinder info. is listed as "POS." :shrug:

Interesting...you claim that a VG is the almighty engine, yet in your profile your Pathfinder info. is listed as "POS." :shrug:

ya, I got this thing as a project for really cheap. It has come a long way, but is going much further. When I got it, the oil looked like it hadn't been changed in years, the front calipers were frozen and it was stopping on the rivets, rotors gone, bearings gone, interior destroyed...and yet it still worked. lol. I spent a while scraping sludge out of the engine and it still runs very well with 155k on it with a tick on startup. I wasn't planning on keeping the engine to begin with though.

ya, I got this thing as a project for really cheap. It has come a long way, but is going much further. When I got it, the oil looked like it hadn't been changed in years, the front calipers were frozen and it was stopping on the rivets, rotors gone, bearings gone, interior destroyed...and yet it still worked. lol. I spent a while scraping sludge out of the engine and it still runs very well with 155k on it with a tick on startup. I wasn't planning on keeping the engine to begin with though.

Wow...on a '99, damn. Was it some sort of drug running car in it's previous life? 155K in 8 years? :o

I had no idea the miles were that high, that would make any car look a little "used" :D

• 2 weeks later...

59k, but I just got rid of it. No issues with the VQ, the tranny, suspension and electrics.... that's another story. I did replace it with an '07 Frontier, the VQ40 which is a VQ35 stroked and with slightly lower compression.

The VQ is a fine motor. As is the VG. The VG does have it's short comings though, such as: a timing belt and no balls... you have to force feed it to make any real power. As far as overall strength and reliability nothing can beat the old L series straight 6's... like the L24 in my '72 Z which has 293,000 miles on the clock and believe me I still beat the piss out of it when I get a chance.

The only problem with a thread like this is that the VQ35 has only been around since 2001, so there's not that many people who have very high miles on them.

My truck is a 99, 8 years old now...holy cow, my truck is 8 years old???...and I've only got 130,000 miles on it.

Wow...did I just say, ONLY 130,000 miles? :lol: