Got pulled over....

doughboy

I've seen some people on the board have fabbed brackets to move the plate onto the tire carrier itself. Might be an idea.

But then again, is this valid? Nissan designed these trucks that way, and issued a 31 as standard equipment, seems like maybe the cop was just trying to meet his quota or something.

I'd check your local laws regarding visibility of rear license plates. If yours is in the stock position, a 31" tire on a stock tire carrier leaves plenty of visibility. Mr. Officer didn't give you any details about visibility measurements?

If you do move it, you will most likely have to move your license plate light or put another on. Here, it's the law, but rarely enforced.

mines pretty tough to see with the 31 on the back...if he wasnt right on u're ass he could have read it...yea i'd go talk to the DA and take pix of the inside door panel and what not where it shows the sizes...or tell him to get u a lift so it will bring it up to eye level...

P...

Just something I thought I should point out.... even though many Pathfinders did come stock with 31" tires, including the spare and you have the spare mounted in the stock location.. yours did not (correct?) and if he was to check the info plate on the drivers door jam, he would have grounds for a ticket.

But the odds of him doing so are slim... perhaps it was just a bad day and you got his frustrations taken out on you.

Now with that said... I say forget it and drive on. If he does give you a hard time again or a ticket.. fight it!

Track him down, find his personal car, and launch a 31" tire into his license plate.....then ask if it's legal to be that way. You got screwed, he pulled you over to F with you, couldn't find anything, and figures you are naive, FIGHT THE power...LOL :furious:

Edited by govols74n

:confused:

Crap... nevermind... it did :hide:

Forget it even happened, mentally tell him to stick it and if he does pull you over again and give you a hard time, file a complaint. If he gives you a ticket, fight it and file a complaint :D

*I was pulled over once in my Yota because my license plate lights do not shine on my plate, they are in the stock location (attached to the bed) and the plate is mounted to the bumper. The bumper is not stock, but another cop told me that there was no way for him to prove that my truck did not come with a bumper like the one I have now.

So I simply disregarded the first cop and have never heard another complaint about it :aok:

im sure they'd love to see my tag trim that has finally vibrated so much that 1 of the 2 tabs broke so after each drive half of the letters are covered so u cant read them...or how about after i ran a redlight camera and they couldnt see my plates cuze it was caked in mud after i just got done wheeling...heh...

i have had a cop tell me i needed to wipe mud off of my plates before after i parked at the grocery store...

and i have also gotten through security checks at Ft Bragg b/c my truck was dripping mud when i pulled up (had to go on main post then off main post to get to my fishing/wheeling spot) and when i was coming back on to go off to leave i got out and popped the hood and they looked at me and were like uhh dude ure good...and that happened about 3 times

Edited by unccpathfinder

I vote for him trying to fill the quota or screw with you. They'll pull you over for some bs ticky tack thing, especially depending on where you're driving and your age, just to see who you are/what else might be wrong/etc. If you got a ticket, just go in with some basic info. showing 31's were a stock option, and I guarantee they'll throw it out in a sec. If not, I'll buy you a beer. :D

I got hassled last year for the same thing on Longboat Key here in FL. It's a ritzy retiree/vacation area thats about ten square miles with one road running the length of it on which all seven cops diligently patrol to guard against one man crime waves like me. He pulled me over because I wasn't in a $50k BMW and started to give me crap about the visibility of the state name on my tag which was from VA at the time. I told him we were on the key housesitting for Ali's aunt and he backed off. I was thinking of giving him a rash 'o chit back, but I'd been drinking at the beach all afternoon and decided to just smile and say thanks. I'll tell you, there's nothing worse than a bored cop.

Bah..you couldn't see mine at all with the 32 on the back before I did my body lift. I havent moved the bumper up yet, so now you can see it clearly...never got hassled about it tho.

Same here, 31 mounted on back, bumper moved up. But really, its better lifted... at least for arguing with cops... than is is at stock height. I'd still tell them to go to he!!... in a nice way. :D

yeah he's definately screwing with you. i had a pierce county cop tell me my tires stuck out too far that i needed fender flares. i argued with him that i have had several state troopers behind me and was never stopped. he told me that if he saw me driving around he would ticket me. mind you this was up on forest roads by green water. i told him fine i would fight it. he drove off without saying another word. i still do not have fender flares and that was 2 years ago.

yeah he's definately screwing with you. i had a pierce county cop tell me my tires stuck out too far that i needed fender flares. i argued with him that i have had several state troopers behind me and was never stopped. he told me that if he saw me driving around he would ticket me. mind you this was up on forest roads by green water. i told him fine i would fight it. he drove off without saying another word. i still do not have fender flares and that was 2 years ago.

Exactly. Just an excuse to pull you over and see what else you have going on.

You run the forest roads up by Greenwater? I've only gone on I think 70 or something, up to a fire tower, then up to Lonesome Lake (that's where I proposed to the Mrs!). There's some cool stuff up that way, lots of little side roads.

Just an excuse to pull you over and see what else you have going on.

I've gotten that one too. Pulled over for a headlight out. I have that glitch where there is a half-way between off and on where only 1 light comes on. It got stuck and I did not notice and he pulled me over. Guy wanted to search my truck! Told him no (no reason for him not to except privacy), turned on the light and he went ahead and wrote me up after looking through all the windows. Like was previously said, nothing like a bored cop...