What do you think of my new backup lights?

MadManMike

Hey all,

Well for some reason the previous owner of my pathfinder thought it cool to have dark tinted windows.. and I have to agree it makes it look nice.. but it's a major pain in the butt when having to back out of my long driveway in the dark :) .. so I am gonna have the tint removed and put on a lighter coat... until I get the money to do that I went on a search for some brighter backup lights and came up with these:

50w Xenon back up bulb..

412147857_ed3cc5cbe5_m.jpg

It seemed cool but I could only find them for $14 for 1 bulb... bout how much it cost to have window tint removed for one window :) Until I searched ebay :) and got 2 of them (new) for $10 shipped.

Here is the difference:

Before:

412145402_ed088aa0d4.jpg

After:

412143146_2dddff38e6.jpg

My camera takes poor pictures in the dark... (because the auto light thing trys to adjust to the brighter light :) I think I may try to have the old bulb in one side and the new one in the other... and then take a picture so it's more noticeable.

Any way it seems to be much brighter... but your not suppose to leave them on to long because they get really hot and may melt some plastic around your lights.

The guy I got them from on ebay is http://stores.ebay.com/superlumination search his store for "1156" and you will see his selection of lights..he even has some led ones.

-Mike

They may also pull more current than the wires like... You should pull the access panel and feel the wiring when they're on. If the wire gets too warm to hold, you have a problem.

I have been known to tuck el cheapo fog lights on the backs and sides of trailers. I also have a set attached to the receiver of the tow van. All run off a new circuit of 14 AWG wire and a relay, of course. Makes backing up on dark nights much more easy....

Net results are something like this....

http://www.whitenight.com/

I used to run a set of backup lights I found on e-bay. Came with a nifty set of brackets to mount them on a standard hitch. Wired them up with a relay and they worked fine, probably still are, wherever my old GMC truck is. Cost less than $50 if IIRC.

Cheap ($15 or less)add-on reverse lights:

Find a $10 set of driving lights (ones that include a relay), and buy about 20ft of 14AWG (less than $5).

Run the 14AWG from the battery back to the access panel and hook it into the relay's hot connection. splice into the reverse light wire and run the splice to the switched power on the relay. Follow the rest of the included wiring instructions and you are done. :aok:

Cheap ($15 or less)add-on reverse lights:

Find a $10 set of driving lights (ones that include a relay), and buy about 20ft of 14AWG (less than $5).

Run the 14AWG from the battery back to the access panel and hook it into the relay's hot connection. splice into the reverse light wire and run the splice to the switched power on the relay. Follow the rest of the included wiring instructions and you are done. :aok:

Yeah that is also an idea... but I am just using mine to back out of my driveway. Although I would like to say... these aren't so much brighter that you will be in shock.. they are probably 1.5 times brighter or so maybe 2x. So if you need lots of light (for 4x4ing or something) then the above suggestion might be worth a shot.

Also I am not sure yet.. but I think the light might not be spread out as much.. more in a beam behind you... I will have to do some more extensive tests before I can say that for sure though.

Thanks for your comments...

And yeah I will check out how many DC amps are being pulled .. don't want a fire starting in the back of my truck :)

-Mike

Edited by MadManMike

I'd doublt the bulb would affect the angle/width of the beam much, unless it was an LED. I'd second the idea of running extra or auxilliary backup lights. There is another thread going on this, and 88 has suggested looking at tractor or farm (I think) lights as they put out a lot of light and are durable.