M/T tires shaking after 30k hard miles

FUELER

OK so i've got some MUDSTAR m/t tires (taiwanese) and they ran nicely at first but now they shake and make pulsing noises...

30k hard miles with maybe 35-40% tread left and they wobble like no other, my mechanic was like WTF

Just wanted to ask you guys if your BFG or other brand M/T tires shake on freeway speeds??

my bfg A/ts are doing that...i've been chasing a violent vibration in my truck for about 3 months now...and i get a womp womp noise from my tires and i know 1 is 7 oz out of balance and pretty sure its a "square tire" but they only have 40k miles on them and barely worn (except for the t bar crank) and i dont want to trash them...but i think thats a lot of my shake now so i might get some cheapo's for now...

do u have a bad in cab shake at like 70-75?

do u have a bad in cab shake at like 70-75?

Yeah my shake is between 65-75... and i get the "womp womp" sound at lower speeds

your BFG A/T's , are they the "long trail" or "rugged trail" model??

Edited by FUELER

Ditto on rebalance, its the cheapest and easiet place to start really. Also, how are your ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings, etc.? I had a bunch of slop, along with out of balance tires, and had to take care of all before the vibrations went away. It was a bit of work, but maybe only $200 in parts. Upper ball joints, poly bushings for swaybar, strut rod and UCA's (along with new Rough Country UCA's which obviously raised the price) and a tire balance. TA-DA.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

my BFG AT's dont shake @ any speed...up to 80 that is.  That's the fastest I've had it.

hahaha... BS. Tell that to my dad's old trucks.

Anyways, the point being, check your tires first.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

take the pot out of them, ok? lol

have you ever rotated them? they tend to wear funny if you don't not much can help it except moving them to the bck and hoping the back ones are good. it could be any of the other things mentioned too.

my MTs just hum.. no other noises or shakes. i have about 20k on mine. they did however shake before i put on a new CL. no problems since except that now i need another CL.

your BFG A/T's ,  are they the "long trail"  or "rugged trail" model??

I believe long trail, and rugged trail are bridgestone duellers - and not AT's at all??

Yeah my shake is between 65-75... and i get the "womp womp" sound at lower speeds

your BFG A/T's , are they the "long trail" or "rugged trail" model??

i'm not sure on that...but yea they couldnt balance mine and told me i had 2 warped wheels but wouldnt spin up just the wheels ot see for a fact but i made them spin my spare and it came up out of balance by like 1 oz and they swapped over the tire and it went up to 9oz...but right now i dont wanna dump the $ into tires...esp with the t bars cranked cuze its gonna wear them in a bad way...

One other thought is, have you done any hard stops and locked up the wheels, maybe causing a flat spot? I did years ago, and one of my front tires made a nice shimmy around 55mph or so. I rotated it to the rear, and did a few burnouts, problem solved. I guess I burned it back round. :D That's probably not possible if you have an autotragic, but its just another thought to throw on the pile.

Does anybody else on here have bf goodrich longtrail t/a's ? Dad has them on his r50 and I find that, even though they have around 70% tread left, the traction sucks even in 4x4. My 93 has the bridgestone dueller a/t's, in my opinion, a much better tire. I think that the long trails are a grocery getter tire. IMO. But I must say they do have a smooth ride (long trails).

Edited by redfinder

I just bought two big airsoft pellet containers.(about 2lb apiece) I've read you can throw those inside your tires and they balance the tires as you're driving from the inside. You're suppose to break the bead on one side and put about a pound of the plastic BB's in each tire then just refill with air and drive. A good friend of mine tried it and said the truck would rattle your teeth out at highway speeds before the BB's and now it's smooth at highway speeds. He said the only time you can feel them out of balance is when you accelerate or decelerate fast.

I'm sick of my tires being out of balance after every trail run. Knocking a lug or three off(the tire) can make your drive home really annoying.

OK so i've got some MUDSTAR m/t tires (taiwanese) and they ran nicely at first but now they shake and make pulsing noises...

30k hard miles with maybe 35-40% tread left and they wobble like no other, my mechanic was like WTF

Just wanted to ask you guys if your BFG or other brand M/T tires shake on freeway speeds??

Your machanic is correct. That's alot of hardcore 4wding and I am suprised they lasted that long too. :bow:

Try to find another set "off road tyres" from the same manufacturer because 30k of hard driving is unheard of. I know I chew up my ATs pretty fast on the tracks and rocks etc BUT for muddies to last that long..... WOW, and it sounds like you really punished them too, I am amazed. I'd get a set for myself but I have not heard of that brand before. Besides that, I am too lazy to swap them over all of the time when I wasn't "off roading." Any pics?

You shouldn't really be driving at "freeway speeds" whilst off road either. :crazy:

Much thanks to everyone here for taking the time to give me suggestions!

As far as 30k on my Nankang Mudstar's -- I know, I am surprised too. They also make an A/T tire but my friend pointed out the fact that Nankang MUDSTAR tires have single-ply sidewalls, whereas BFG A/T and M/T have 2-ply sidewalls... I don't know if that makes a difference. Plus, they slowly developed this shake from day 1, and they were barely worn down, numerous balancing did not help. I would suggest to stay away from these Taiwanese tires!!

Anyways - my problem is finally solved !!

I went and bought some brand new BFG A/T KO 265/70/16. WOW is it a world of difference!!! I can hardly hear these tires and the ride is MUCH smoother than before!

Paid $640 out the door for all 4, mounted and balanced, is that a good price?

Thanks again for your advice!