Low Gas Warning Light

faterotong

Hi guys, I searched and I found nothing on this topic. We've got a 1993 Pathfinder 4x4, stick shift.

The problem is, the low gas warning light is always on, even after a fill-up. The gas guage reads accurately and it shows a full tank. I know we could take out the bulb, but we'd rather get it fixed permanently.

Any suggestions as to what problem it could be and how to fix its?

Thanks!

Nick

I just found this while cruising on my ASIST computer. Maybe help answer some questions....

'90-'95 Pathfinder: Remaining fuel level specifications The following specifications reflects a range for the amount of fuel remaining in the tank when the gauge points to 'empty' and when the low fuel light is 'on':

Gallons remaining when fuel level reads 'empty' approximately 1.5 to 2.4

Gallons remaining when low fuel light 'on'. approximately 3.0 to 3.2

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

IM just curious when does the low gas light come on because I've gotten it low, and it has never come on. Maybe soemthings wrong?

I'm kinda curious about that, also. I've run out of gas two different times, and the light didn't come on (although the gauge read right - stupid me for not paying attention) I'm wondering if the bulb might be blown out...

Ok, Took my dash apart today(took 2 min.) and found a light for the gas. It's next to the ck engine light on the very end. My bulb was good. In my case, I'm assuming its the sender because my gauge is not accurate either.

For the people that having working fuel light, Does your light come on when you just turn the key far enough to power the windows (one step before starting).

94 SE

Edited by Ultrafinder

My 93 has one, its in the bottem left corner of the dash, and it comes on if you go from at least 1/4 tank to empty, if you just get lazy and keep filling it with a jerry can, it doesn't light up when low and runs out of gas.

I'm kinda curious about that, also. I've run out of gas two different times, and the light didn't come on (although the gauge read right - stupid me for not paying attention) I'm wondering if the bulb might be blown out...

If in doubt, just pull the guage cluster, it really only takes a couple min at most. I'd doubt its dead though. Most of the time it seems to be the main display type lights that go out, not ones that are rarely used.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got tired of this whole gas gauge thing and ran some tests. I have 2 pathfinders one that is a 1990 SE wrecked the other a 1991 SE. I took the pump assembly out of both and tested them using the factory shop manual. The 1990 SE Gauge was way off on the resistance scale. Cleaned the carbon strip off with denatured alcohol and then tested it and it was within the resistance scale in the manual. On my 1991 It was withing the resistance scale from the start. I hooked it up out of the tank and did some tests with a buddy. adjusting the float up 1/4 of the way up put the gauge at just above the letter E. The tip of the pointer just going through the letter E. This is the same as if the float was all the way down. No changed in the gauge, even though with the meter it showed a change in resistance. When I moved the float to half way up the gauge moved to 1/4 mark on the gauge. when I moved the float 3/4 of the way up the gauge moved a little over between the half mark and full. and when the float was moved to the top the gauge move to the full mark Just a hair away from the F but not touching the F. I think I may try and replace the voltage regulator for the gauges and see if I get some better stability in the gauge that may shed some light on why my temp gauge never gets to half way up it sits mid way between the bottom and half. The shop manual shows it about 3/4 of the way up between cold and half at normal operating temp.

Mark

BTW I also tested my low fuel light and it does indeed work. The gauge was throwing me off since it would say empty when I would still have a 1/4 of a tank.

i have run my truck out of gas before too due to no low gass light..... i didnt make it very far, but then again, i only get ~11mpg...... :(

to fix my low fule light, i just threw some soder on the printed circut that was cracked :o

Jon

I finally got tired of this whole gas gauge thing and ran some tests. I have 2 pathfinders one that is a 1990 SE wrecked the other a 1991 SE. I took the pump assembly out of both and tested them using the factory shop manual. The 1990 SE Gauge was way off on the resistance scale. Cleaned the carbon strip off with denatured alcohol and then tested it and it was within the resistance scale in the manual. On my 1991 It was withing the resistance scale from the start. I hooked it up out of the tank and did some tests with a buddy. adjusting the float up 1/4 of the way up put the gauge at just above the letter E. The tip of the pointer just going through the letter E. This is the same as if the float was all the way down. No changed in the gauge, even though with the meter it showed a change in resistance. When I moved the float to half way up the gauge moved to 1/4 mark on the gauge. when I moved the float 3/4 of the way up the gauge moved a little over between the half mark and full. and when the float was moved to the top the gauge move to the full mark Just a hair away from the F but not touching the F. I think I may try and replace the voltage regulator for the gauges and see if I get some better stability in the gauge that may shed some light on why my temp gauge never gets to half way up it sits mid way between the bottom and half. The shop manual shows it about 3/4 of the way up between cold and half at normal operating temp.

Mark

BTW I also tested my low fuel light and it does indeed work. The gauge was throwing me off since it would say empty when I would still have a 1/4 of a tank.

I would be very interested to hear what you find about your temp gauge. I have the same problem with mine, never goes above 1/4 way up the scale, usually stays just above cold.

I have replaced the temperature sender unit, but it made no difference at all.

Keep us informed.

I would be very interested to hear what you find about your temp gauge. I have the same problem with mine, never goes above 1/4 way up the scale, usually stays just above cold.

I have replaced the temperature sender unit, but it made no difference at all.

Keep us informed.

Im pretty sure that the gauge is reading right, mine always read around 1/4 when on the road, and when I was using it off the road, it'd go up to about half way, because there was not as much air circulating through like on the road.

My low gas light has come on once at half tank in my 95. But it was like -25 here it canada that day. So i was thinking maybe the deep freeze made it faulty. But hasnt come back on since then and that was two weeks ago.