Spacer interest...again

tmorgan4

I wasn't planning on including the hardware with these, but I'll run to my local ACE and pick up everything you need for another 5 bucks. Grade 8 hardware isn't cheap, but this isn't a place someone should be looking to save a few cents. :P

I believe the stock bolts are pressed into the strut mount and will either need to be pressed or pounded out. I think I remember reading that someone did it with a hammer without too much difficulty. New bolts will be longer (I'll have to figure out the length) and won't need to be pressed in.

I'll PM my address to anyone wanting to send a check or money order. I'm happy to do Paypal as well.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are splined studs not strux studs so constant pressure from a press or large vise can get these out with ease. I have the exact same diameter splined press in studs at work that I used to replace an existing broken one on my 97. I used sockets and a 6" vise to get it out.

so if i planned to just take it to a shop and have them do it , do you think they would...i mean if they break something its on them i guess, and i know the guy who ownes it pretty well so hes not gonna break my @!*% and then not tell me....what do you think?

so if i planned to just take it to a shop and have them do it , do you think they would...i mean if they break something its on them i guess, and i know the guy who ownes it pretty well so hes not gonna break my @!*% and then not tell me....what do you think?

I'm sure he would tell you if he bent it, but if they bend the mount they could just as easily say it wasn't their fault.. BUT it's rather simple to do so I wouldn't worry about that...

BTW these splined studs can be purchased from Spaenaur.

I'm sure he would tell you if he bent it, but if they bend the mount they could just as easily say it wasn't their fault.. BUT it's rather simple to do so I wouldn't worry about that...

BTW these splined studs can be purchased from Spaenaur.

thats why i will take dated pictures with film before i take the car in....

I needed to remove one stud from each mount while the strut assembly was in the pathfinder. Trust me hammering them out wasn't easy. With the hood and offending brackets and what nots i tried a large hammer and punch and quickly ran out of steam without budging the first stud. I switched to an air hammer and finally drove them out. Most of the studs will not come out due to interference with the spring mount but in my case I was lucky as the 2 studs that needed to be removed were in the right place and i could turn the wheel far enough to clear and get the stud out. For you guys pulling all the studs with the spring still assembled after you remove the strut assembly cut the studs down some and then use the vise trick. there isnt much room to work with and for the most part it would just be easier to disassemble the strut assembly press out the studs reinstall the new longer bolts and reassemble the strut. At least when your done the nuts will be on top and far easier to assemble. Just remember disassembling the strut is very dangerious and needs to be done with the proper tools.

Installation is cake...lol I think I was the one that "pounded" them out...no Shhh 8000 psi! It took a 5lb sledge and lots of bracing in my bench vice. When they came loose...psshhew across the garage! :o The holes got drilled out a little to accept the #8 bolts...run the bolts upwards just as the studs were...otherwise you may run into the bottom of the bolts carving out your top spring perch...go ahead look under the rig you will see! They will also be much easier to tighten when the nuts are in the engine bay!

Here is a pic of the strut topper.

post-7-1176468686.jpg

Edited by 98silverpathy

Empty area where new spring/strut/spacer will go...remember to put the hardware in through the spacer first then assemble the coil onto strut with all the assorted top pieces (technical terms anyone?), this way you will not have to try to feed these long bolts around the spring assembly up through the now much thicker spacer.

post-7-1176469298.jpg

Edited by 98silverpathy

voila! Notice my first install had the bolts going down...I did carve out the spring assembly for days while I struggled to figure out why my steering felt notchy! Lol, it was fun tearing all my hard work apart with only days between!

post-7-1176469730.jpg

Edited by 98silverpathy

I wish I assembled my spacers that way. The way 98 has it setup is where it'll still have the stock downtravel and will not kill the CV. The way I did it was just put it on top of the whole thing and go. I need to switch it around one of these days.