Spacer interest...again

tmorgan4

Thanks a bunch of the pictures. Gives another people a way to install them if they feel like taking a little more time to do it.

Like Alex said, this will still give you 3/4" of lift but you keep the stock down travel. Just adding the spacer in between the strut mount and tower will give you 3/4" of lift too, but also increase your down travel 3/4". Doesn't seem like it's something people have had issues with, but something to be aware of.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only downside I can see to installing the spacer this way was the tremendous squishing I had to do to get the spring pressed down so that the strut bearing topper thingy could still have the top of the strut through it and bolted on...did I lose everyone there?

I really had to use 2 sets of spring compressors in order to compress the springs in progression to allow enough thread from the top of the strut to poke through and get the lock nut on....maybe that explanation was better? :crazy:

I don't know, just be very very careful when you are pressing that big front spring down and make damn sure that you get that lock nut on tight!! I actually had my oe set up strip out when I uninstalled the lift and the pressure that it shot back at me with was very impressive...I think that Venge had some experience with this also....my end result was 2 sets of spring compressors and a quick spot weld of the nut...my apologies to the new owner!?

Edited by 98silverpathy

I was thinking about that part too. It wasn't fun compressing my OMEs without a spacer. I hate dealing with spring compressors regardless.

I think the next time mine come apart I'm going to undo the top nut while it's installed and weight is on the vehicle and it will slowly decompress the spring as weigh is taken off the front end. Gets rid of the breakdown anyway.

Wow! Looks good guys! :aok: Only now I am a bit confused about which way I should install the spacers. :confused:

In my case, I have OME HD coils up front. Due to the weight of the bull bar, winch and lights, I am only getting about 1" of lift up front (with the same amount of reduced "usable" downtravel but keeping the stock "total" downtravel). The lift in the back is about 1 3/4".

Should I install the spacers like 98silverpathy did, between the strut mount and the "strut bearing topper thingy", so I get the extra lift but keep the stock total downtravel? Or would it be OK to install the spacers like nissandoms47 did it, above the strut mount, and get the extra lift but with increased total downtravel?

Obviously the second alternative will put extra stress on the CV joints. But this would only happen when the suspension is fully extended, right?

I think the first alternative sounds better, but I wanted to avoid the additional work and cost of disassembling and reassembling the struts. I just did it a month ago to put in new bearings and strut mounts, something I should have done when I put in new struts and coils about 8 months ago, but didn't. :angry: I don't have the right tools to do it myself, and labor here in Panama to get it done is about 50 bucks (USD) for both sides.

I am also concerned about the extra pressure the coils will be under. With the truck sitting level on the ground, would any of the above alternatives place extra stress on the struts themselves due to additional pressure from the coils, or is the additional pressure only an issue during installation? In other words, will I get more topping out with either option? Right now I get minimal topping out of the strut thanks to the smaller lift coils, and I like that.:)

I do have the Warn Manual Hubs (haven't installed them yet). In any case, I don't think the manual hubs will help much with the total downtravel issue. Since the suspension will probably only be extended fully for significant amounts of time when off road, in those situations the hubs will probably be in 4 wheel drive anyways, right?

Sorry for the long post. What do you think?

I'm going to do my best to get the rest of the spacers cleaned up and ship everything out tomorrow. B)

Thanks for the followup. I will need your install notes because I've seen a few variations on the install from the forum.

How is the fitment? Can you take a snapshot of them and post?

Jeff

• 1 year later...

As i sad before, i had front dobisons coil (+1.25") on KYB strut. and OME medium rear coil. Now i think about spacers, if 1" spacers on AC 2" lift is normal (3"In the sum) i can use ~1.75" front spacer?? Is it right? And that about rear, i think to use same height. What do you think ?

I wish I assembled my spacers that way. The way 98 has it setup is where it'll still have the stock downtravel and will not kill the CV. The way I did it was just put it on top of the whole thing and go. I need to switch it around one of these days.

which way is that? I have mine on top like you did, is the way 02silver did it the way that doesn't potentially damage the CV?

As i sad before, i had front dobisons coil (+1.25") on KYB strut. and OME medium rear coil. Now i think about spacers, if 1" spacers on AC 2" lift is normal (3"In the sum) i can use ~1.75" front spacer?? Is it right? And that about rear, i think to use same height. What do you think ?

Right now i want to go to factory for my spacers, but i still don't know wich tall i need :-\

Right now i want to go to factory for my spacers, but i still don't know wich tall i need :-\

I think the largest spacers people have used are 1"...you can go anything smaller than that...if by factory you mean nissan i wouldn't expect them to have them, but a fabrication shop should be able to do it for you

I think the largest spacers people have used are 1"...you can go anything smaller than that...if by factory you mean nissan i wouldn't expect them to have them, but a fabrication shop should be able to do it for you

I buy a 1,2" spacer to front and 1,4" to rear.