Towing Capacity

Git_R_Done

I have a 95 pathfinder SE. What is the towing capacity for the truck? I lost the manuel so I can't look it up that way. Couple other questions the holes it the frame for me to bolt up the hitch are they threaded? if so, what are the thread size? and how hard is it to wire for trailer lights and brakes.

Thanks

Bobby

I have a 95 pathfinder SE. What is the towing capacity for the truck? I lost the manuel so I can't look it up that way. Couple other questions the holes it the frame for me to bolt up the hitch are they threaded? if so, what are the thread size? and how hard is it to wire for trailer lights and brakes.

Thanks

Bobby

3500 lbs as stated above. you can't get a hitch bigger than a class III (rated at 3500lbs). not that i've found anyhoo.....

if you have an autotrgic tranny, get a tranny COOLER...... a BIG one...... really.

as for wiring.. i work for u haul and install all the hitches n wiring. here's my pee easy write up on how to do it sly http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=10354

as for the actual mounting of the hitch, no, there are no weld nuts or direct bolt on's..... there is 1 hole each side, you just have to drill 1 hole each side, then you have a flat metal bracket lookin dealio with a threaded hole in it and a longish wire attached to it.... which you use for one of the bolt holes (rear most) then the nearest bolt hole is easily reached by hand. 4 bolts total and yer on. easy..... ;)

get a tranny COOLER...... a BIG one

Trust me I'm planning on it.

Has for wiring up for trailer brakes does anyone know how to do that so when I brake my trailer brakes engage, cause I was told I need a brake control box in my truck just want to know how to wire that up to. Thanks for wiring info that write up you did was awsome and makes it very easy

what are you pulling that you need trailer brakes?

my thoughts exactly... if you are towing something that has trailer rbakes... it is prolly too heavy for a pathy. if it's a u haul trailer or something similar.... the hydraulic brakes without a break controller ;)

I'm planning on buying a fold up camper trailer and they have brakes. The trailer only weighs 1,400lb, but the dealer says I need the hook ups for trailer brakes and won't let me off the lot without. I was wondering how hard it would be to install on the truck myself.

Edited by Git_R_Done

I'm planning on buying a fold up camper trailer and they have brakes. The trailer only weighs 1,400lb, but the dealer says I need the hook ups for trailer brakes and won't let me off the lot without. I was wondering how hard it would be to install on the truck myself.

welp, never had the "pleasure" of installing one of our brake controllers, but they look pretty straightforward....... instructions on the back of the box too..... but i think that's BS . if that trailer only weighs 1400lbs.. he should not tell you what you can and can not have ..... crap, i tow our 2600lb boat and no brake controller... he's trying to cost oyu a buttload of $$. cuz the controllers are anywhere from $60-$100 :blink:

The trailer only weighs 1,400lb, but the dealer says I need the hook ups for trailer brakes and won't let me off the lot without.

If you have a friend with a truck that has trailer brakes already hooked up, borrow the truck or him and the truck and pick it up with that sly

I'm just hoping the hitch install in just as easy.

there is 1 hole each side, you just have to drill 1 hole each side

Slick, are you saying that there should only be 1 hole on each side? Because I have 3 hole on each side

Edited by Git_R_Done

I like electric trailer brakes. Having the trailer stop itself reduces stopping distances considerably, and comes in handy if you get into a sway situation. Just jab the trailer brake to straighten everything back out.

Get a Tekonsha Prodigy controller. They work light years better than others as they have an accelerometer on board and vary the trailer braking based on how hard you are stopping. Cheap controllers just ramp the trailer brakes to max regardless of how hard you step on the pedal. Anything but smooth! Prodigy's can be found for around $100, and are simple to wire. 12V in, brake voltage out, ground, and a wire to the brake lights. That's it. Excellent instructions as well.

I'm just hoping the hitch install in just as easy.

Slick, are you saying that there should only be 1 hole on each side? Because I have 3 hole on each side

on 90-95 pathys there are only 2 or 3 bolts that hold it on each side (don't make me go outside n look damnit!).... only 1 HOLE has to be drilled.

yes, the hitch is easily installed, just have PATIENCE with the stupid threaded plate with the wire.... it can be a PITA. remember to torque bolts to 75ft lbs

My hitch should be here Wednesday so I'll try putting it in when I get it. About a tranny cooler is there such thing of having to BIG of one? I found one thats 8" high x 17" long x1 1/2 " wide and is a 16 row cooler most of the the ones I've seen are 4-8 rows

NOt really. The bigger you can fit, the better. You want that fluid to stay nice and cool. Towing a trailer, especially up any hills will heat it up quickly.

Well I got my hitch oneday before I thought I was going to get it. Got got it in in about 45 minutes it was easy has hell. The only this left for me to do it the tranny cooler which should be easy. Thanks Slick for the info on installing the hitch and wiring and thanks to everyone elses input

the brake wiring is very easy. If you have basic wiring skills. The hardest part was finding a place in the firewall to go through. I did it on my 91 to pull my Bigfoot RV. I think you only need 1 wire (blue?) that runs from the brake controller the the 7 prong round plug. All the stuff I bought was labeled as ti what and where it was for.

Well I got my hitch oneday before I thought I was going to get it. Got got it in in about 45 minutes it was easy has hell. The only this left for me to do it the tranny cooler which should be easy. Thanks Slick for the info on installing the hitch and wiring and thanks to everyone elses input

:clap: congrats. :cool2:

and yer welcome. just here to help where i can. :beer:

and in answer tot he brake controller, yeah, they're not technical, only wires that leave the ass end of yer pathy are the black ground wire and red wire with the fuse breaker in it for the battery. ;)

• 1 year later...

3500lb max?

Dang!

I wanted to pull one of these...http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/houses/lusby/

i guess 5400 is a bit heavy...

i might have to give up my pathy :(

peace

al

5-speed - 3500lbs.

Automatic - 5000lbs

It's just harder on the clutch so the 5 speed is rated lower. Up to you and how you work your clutch me thinks.

That and the torque converter on the autos adding to the low end go power.

I've pulled my boat with mine..My boat wieghs about 8000 dry, just under 10k with tanks full...Pathy was very slugish and tired afterwards.

I use the pathy to drop it in the water and around the boat yard and also in 4LO, and first, and trailer brakes are a must.