Where to get inexpensive durable doors?

mws

Posting up weird-arse questions to ya'all always leads to better ideas, so here is this week's question!

The boys and I are building a toy box (aka storage shed) alongside my house in an effort to reclaim the garage from the rapidly multiplying toys. Traditional stud wall construction. I haven't figured out the door situation yet. I need to be able to ride a quad in, so I want about 4' wide opening. On my other shed (for the smaller toys!), it needed a 5'6" tall door so I just made a 2x4 frame and covered it with siding. Works fine, but not too attactive.

But I got to thinking maybe I can use some kind of pre-hung door for convenience and ease. Has to be exterior grade and it will be south facing so it gets hammered by rain and sun.

Oh, and per the topic title, INEXPENSIVE as possible.

Ideas?

TIA! :aok:

Edited by mws

Try calling around to your local contractors someone might have over-ordered or messed up. I have gotten alot of good deals when I do side work calling around and picking up panels and other misc. electrical stuff and end up paying pennys on the dollar for stuff. For me it has been worth the leg work cause its more money in my pocket; happy hunting.

I'd just start with another 2x4 frame, and use some good, marine grade plywood for the door itself. Cheap, effective, and you can paint and or stain the door whatever colour you want.

I'd just start with another 2x4 frame, and use some good, marine grade plywood for the door itself.  Cheap, effective, and you can paint and or stain the door whatever colour you want.

Thats what we did for our south facing shed door (although not as big as you want). Just make it.

And make it whatever COLOUR you want :hide::P

home depot has pretty cheap doors. i just bought my friend a bedroom door custom ordered for $41.75 last night. it was plain pine 78 1/2" x 35 7/8" but they have cheaper doors....base price is $19.00 and you can go custom from there

I just replaced my front entry door with an off-the-shelf steel exterior door from the Depot, about $80 out the door. I believe they were closer to $110 or 120 prehung. Not sure of your definition of cheap, but I've properly reinforced the locks and jambs, and nobody is coming through on the first... or 2nd... or 3rd try for that matter. I guess what I'm going after is, are you looking for exterior grade and security/durability, or simply building your own solid piece?

Score! Got to talking to my neighbor, and he has a buddy with a set of barn door rollers. Not my preferred approach as now I have to keep the bushes trimmed... but the hardware is free which changes the whole pictue!

And for the end door, I think we're going to get a new front door and put the old ugly steel front door in the shed.

Thanks for brainstorming with me!

Seems like you got it figured out but just in case you might want to see if there is a Habitat for Humanity resale shop near you. There's one here and they have all sorts of doors and hardware some used some new but all at really great prices.

Seems like you got it figured out but just in case you might want to see if there is a Habitat for Humanity resale shop near you. There's one here and they have all sorts of doors and hardware some used some new but all at really great prices.

Hello? I'd never heard of that. So I went to the website, and shazbot! There is one here in town! Wow! I have got to check that out!

EXCELLENT tip - thank you!