which pathy to get? 01 or an 02

505pathy

New to the forum, have a 97 4runner and selling to get a newer pathy. I am looking at an 01 or an 02 and will probably commit to a purchase by thursday. Of the 2 trucks I am looking at, both auto, both LE, 01 is silver and has AWD in addition to 4wd if I am correct. The 02 has just 4wd. 02 has 125k and the 01 has 110k. Both are for $9500. Do you guys have a preference between these years and if so why? The 01 has new monroe shox, new boots and front axle's, front brakes are new and tires are less than a year old. The window won't auto up on the 01 and the cd changer is shot. Links to the trucks are below if you want to check them out.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...max_price=11000

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...max_price=11000

I, personally would get the 01. There is no descrepency between the 01 and 02 model years, however, the 01 seems like it is a little better shape and it has a few less miles. If the non-auto window bothers you and you do not plan on upgrading the head unit, then by all means get the 02. You won't go wrong with either.

What about the AWD vs the 4wd. I honestly didn't like the AWD that Toyota did with their 2000 and 2001 4runner which they later abandoned. Have you heard of any issues with the AWD with the pathfinders? Thanks...

I'm pretty sure the 02 had no AWD. I think you guys are right in going with the 01. The guy said he would throw in the Thule rack and accessories and since there are new parts and less miles the 01 seems more logical. Thanks...

The 2002 will have the AllMode system, there is no transfer case shift lever that shows in the interior photo.

No real difference between the years, go with what is the best value and that looks like the 01.

No known issues with the AllMode system, works very well for me. Has 2wd, 4wd High, 4wd Low and AUTO settings. The AUTO is an AWD setting that will put up to 50% of the power to the front axle. Nice thing about it is that when in AUTO, starting from a stop the system automatically splits power 50-50 front/rear until it determines there is no slippage, then starts to manage power back and forth. Most other systems (like in the CRV) will only put power to the other axle when slippage is detected.

Have fun and post some pictures when you get the beast!

Either is an excellent choice IMO. But, seeing as I've had horrible luck with first model year productions/engine modifications, I'd go with the 02, seeing as the VQ had been around for a while already and a lot of the SES complaints had been cleared for that model year.

However, 02's are still notoriously bad for having tinker toy o2 sensors!

As said earlier though, either is a great choice and will treat you very well. I've dumped almost 30K miles on my 02 in the year I've had it and it still feels just as solid as ever...now at almost 75K miles.

Pics when you buy!

I like the 01 better because you have a huge cupholder (easily fit the biggest big gulp or even a 40 oz caguyama of mexican beer) instead of that stupid 4x4 lever.

I like the electronic 4x4 switch too, so convenient!

And as far as reliability with that mileage, i have 122k miles and never had a problem....

PS - timing belt interval is 105k on our nissans, has it been done?

The 3.5L VQ has more problems, from what i've read.

"I'd go with the 02, seeing as the VQ had been around for a while already and a lot of the SES complaints had been cleared for that model year."

Can you explain what you mean by SES complaints?

Thanks.

There was a bunch of little glitches with things like the Cam position sensors...these are right in the front of the cams on the outside (easy swap)...off and on the SES light plagued the 1 st year VQ in a pathy...after all let us not forget that that is the the Mad Max's engine! I too am shopping for a VQ R50...I would shoot at the 02 all day long.

My question is, what then is the change interval for a chain??? And perhaps does the VQ R50 get a different rear end than the previous R50?

These questions are muchmore relavent IMHO in deciding what's up and down. I am trying to skip the allmode AWD myself because of the issue with installing Warn Hubs and confusing the 4WD electronics...I likes the lever! Otherwise I would head for the QX4 with the VQ...wow what a stunna!

There was a bunch of little glitches with things like the Cam position sensors...these are right in the front of the cams on the outside (easy swap)...off and on the SES light plagued the 1 st year VQ in a pathy...after all let us not forget that that is the the Mad Max's engine!  I too am shopping for a VQ R50...I would shoot at the 02 all day long.

Yeah, as well as notoriously bad o2 sensors that seem to plague 01's in particular. But that in itself may be due to the fact that they're just older. I would register w/ Edmunds.com and check the "Inside Line" section there (owner forums) as well as nissanhelp.com. Those are excellent resources.

My question is, what then is the change interval for a chain???

No change required! Unless it breaks :hide:

This is an extremely frightening issue w/ all VQ powered Pathy's (in particular 01's-03's it seems) that must be monitored! If you're buying a very used 2nd gen. VQ powered pathy and there's an option for an extended warranty of any sort, I would pony up and spend the little bit of $$ to take it.

Hope this helps!

Edited by navygz19

This is an extremely frightening issue w/ all VQ powered Pathy's (in particular 01's-03's it seems) that must be monitored!

Thanks for the heads up, something I will look into on mine as it just hit the 112,000 km (70,000 mile) mark.

Anyone have any idea how easy it is to check these?

Not easy at all. If it's the butterfly screws/power valve screws you're refferring to, they're a b!tch to get to! I had to check them on my Sentra and it involved removing the entire upper intake manifold. And upon reaching them, if you happen to drop one into the intake, well, you get the picture.

The procedure involving the valve cover/PCV valve I'm not sure about. I've heard it's pretty involved. I'm sure there's a DIY procedure floating around the web somewhere. I'll see what I can find.

Edited by navygz19

Another thing to note about AWD vs part-time 4WD on the Pathfinder.

AWD, of course, can be safely used on pavement (as well as snow). Part-time 4WD, on the other hand, should NOT be used on pavement, and may have poorer performance on snow, especially when turning, since the front and rear axles are locked together, and at least one of the front tires will be forced to slip.

Also, the AWD t-case has a stock low range of 2.569:1, while the part-time case is just 2.02:1. You should be aware that if you ever plan to swap the t-case gears to a lower ratio (3.7:1 or 3.92:1), the gears only fit the part-time case.

Not easy at all. If it's the butterfly screws/power valve screws you're refferring to, they're a b!tch to get to! I had to check them on my Sentra and it involved removing the entire upper intake manifold. And upon reaching them, if you happen to drop one into the intake, well, you get the picture.

The procedure involving the valve cover/PCV valve I'm not sure about. I've heard it's pretty involved. I'm sure there's a DIY procedure floating around the web somewhere. I'll see what I can find.

See my new topic on this here

Thanks navygz19 for the heads up on this :bow: :bow: :bow: