New to me 1991 Pathfinder

Bravo6

I just bought a 1991 Pathfinder SE last week. A one owner with 136k miles on it. The guy had four cars and now has bought a Lexus so he let the Pathfinder go. He bought it with 4wd just because it looked cool to him. He had over 1/4 inch of documented paperwork from the Nissan dealership where he did everything according to the book and then some. Very clean. The only thing that he hasn't replaced/maitained under the hood is the power steering. It makes a noise when you make a 90 degree turn (like in a parking lot space). Is this normal? Besides the clear coat all flaked off, I feel real good about this purchase. We agreed at $3000.

Welcome Bravo6, I split your post to it's own thread, as to not confuse things with the other thread...

Hopefully some of the guys can give you some info re: steering!

WAVEY EDIT: ^^^^^^^^^^^

I get a noise when I am turning sometimes but usually it comes from the tires cause I am turning to sharp on pavement. You might check the center link, but on this I am really not sure. I see others lurking below. so you should get some answers pretty soon.

Edited by Jdpathy

Welcome WAVEY

Can you describe the sound? Is it a popping/creaking or is it something more like a whine coming from the PS pump? IF it's the popping/creaking sound, usually, it's just your steering stops rubbing together, which is nothing to worry about. You can make the sound go away temporarily by smearing some grease on them.

If it's whining under the hood (PS pump) I'd check the PS fluid level.

It is more of a whinning sound. I had a Ford Explorer that did the same thing. I have checked the fluid. Everything looks good. I read some where that this sound is normal or atleast common among that year. Thanks for quick response.

I agree that the sound is not normal or should not be. Yesterday when I went to work, I paid more attention to it and it only whines when I turn it sharp to the left. The belt is snug, and the fluid is good. Who knows. Maybe I do need to bleed the system. But it is working fine now and I will deal with it when/if it fails. Thanks for all of the info and welcome. One more question; The seals (2) around the sunroof where the glass hinges (2) attach to the roof are dry rotted. Is this a future problem, and can you just replace that piece of gasket or do you have to replace the whole seal? Thanks

Welcome to the forums.

From what I understand about power steering, your power steering will make that kind of noise as well when it has reached its maximum turning radius to that side and the Pressure relief valce kicks in. The vehicles Power steering is under the most pressure when in a parking situation because there is no forward momentum. Generally most valves will kick in at around 1215 psi. this type of noise is the valve opening and closing very quickly. The most common reason for noisy power steering is usually air in the lines as was said earlier. If its only doing it to the left well, that makes me also question if it may have something to do with the Directional Control valve inside the steering box. Just a thought.... anyone else?

Dowser

*edit*

But it is working fine now and I will deal with it when/if it fails.

This is commonly refered as Breakdown maintenance, something I am FAR too familiar with, and always ends up costing you a LOT more in the long run. If you notice a problem now, you should see to it, could end up just being air in the lines and if that is the cause then that noise your hearing is called Cavitation. NOT something you want to be aquinting yourself with. Cavitation is the collapsing of vaporized oil bubbles that are exposed to tremendous force at the outlet side of the hydraulic pump which in turn creates a high pressure shock wave that erodes the internal surfaces of the pump. It has been estimated that the pressure spike created by cavitation implosions can exceed 6.90 GPa or 1,000,000 psi. The pressure spikes are what produce that sharp rattling sound when the pump is operating.

Edited by Dowser

Thanks Dowser and all. Around March I will have some general maintaince done on the PF. Tinming belt, the a/c isn't blowing cold, and another thing or two. Is the temp guage slow in rising common on these? I have a diesel and it is common for them to be slow. And a funny note: While driving to work one morning I did something. It was dark and this was only the second time that I had been in it in the dark. I am not use to NOT havnig all of the switches illuminated. I was attempting to turn on the cruise controll with the dash rocker switch and knew it was some where on the dash. After engaging every thing BUT the cruise controll, I just gave up. The next morning I turned it on BEFORE I got out of my drive way. Just when I thought I had it down figured out, I went to turn it off on the dash and guess what I hit insteed?............ The rear glass release.