I want to put 33 x 12.5 tires on my 91 pathy

DzNutz

I want to put 33 x 12.5 tires on my 91 pathy, I don't think they are going to fit without modifications ie lift kit. I saw the 3" calmini lift, looks good. Is that what I would need to run 33 x 12.5's? How big could I run without a lift kit? :shrug:

Welcome to NPORA!

Searching and perusing will reveal many threads on this.

Condensed version: 33's will require 3" body lift + 3" suspension lift and maybe some minor plastic and metal trimming. Will also require steering upgrades to avoid problems due to the greatly increased weight. Will also cost you fuel economy - at least 2 mpg, maybe as much as 5.

StocK: Most can fit 31x10.5's just fine with proper backspacing on the wheels. Maybe a little tweak on the TB's if they've sagged. Idler arm upgrades strongly suggested if actually using it off road.

Again, do some searching and reading through the archives and you can learn a huge amount here. Heck, this is where most of us have learned the basics!

Edited by mws

I run 33x950R15 with a Calmini SL... They rub when flexing.... No problems around town or dirt roads... but they will rub when flexed..... No challenges with Steering ATM

With 12.5"s your gonna rub on everything..... unless you also do a Body Lift... and you will eat your steering fast...

IMO if I had it to do again I would go with 32x950 or maybe 32x1050's.... I am still considering a 2" BL.....

i got 31x10.5 on stock and no rubbing anymore.. it barely rubbed in a couple spots long time ago but i think it rubbed itself out.. :D

Nah, you just tweaked the body parts enough that they are clear of the tires now :D .

:cool2: Good info guys, Thanks. I'm glad I stumbled onto this web site. Some of the rigs on this site are pretty sweet. I think I might wait awhile before I go ahead with any lift kits. I'll buy another set of 31 x 10.5's to burn while I think everything through some more. Any other upgrades I shouldn't be living without?

I seem to have a lot of room in the fender wells with my 31x10.5 goodyear wranglers. I can pick up 2 32x11.50 BFG AT's for free from a friend but I highly doubt they'll fit without rubbing in the front when the wheel is turned all the way, but I'm going to put them on this weekend and see. Also, I think it might look weird with 32's and no lift...I saw a 4runner a while ago with big tires and no lift and it looked kinda lame... :blink:

Edited by cohen

:cool2: Good info guys, Thanks. I'm glad I stumbled onto this web site. Some of the rigs on this site are pretty sweet. I think I might wait awhile before I go ahead with any lift kits. I'll buy another set of 31 x 10.5's to burn while I think everything through some more. Any other upgrades I shouldn't be living without?

Put a 2 or 3" body lift in and run 32's. A BL is cheaper than a suspension lift and you will still be able to maintain correct steering component angles. Thus, you will not break things so easily.

Put a 2 or 3" body lift in and run 32's. A BL is cheaper than a suspension lift and you will still be able to maintain correct steering component angles. Thus, you will not break things so easily.

And/or, go with a suspension lift kit (or piece on together yourself), then go with a steering kit from L&P to be semi-unbreakable. Granted, I haven't gone to L&P yet, and I haven't broken yet.

Why are we all obessed with BIG tires? LOL

:huh: my other pathy came with *coughs* "BIG" tires..... i had no choice... and personally..... i think it would look totally ghey with anything smaller...... however, a lot of expense and some L & P upgrades will help that. sly

now. in my opinion. THESE are big/HUGE tires (they're 42's on Dave's bro's K5)

Edited by Slick

Ok, let me get this straight! I'm gonna get new rims & tires after the first of the year. I plan on lifting my 89 with a 2" body lift so I dont have to do any other modifications, i.e. brake lines, gas hose, etc... and go with JGC spings in the rear and UCA's up front to get another 2" suspension lift. I also am going to replace all the bushings with new teflon and get the L&P kit and new tie rod ends.

But with this lift is it enough to keep 33's from rubbing? Any ideas on backspacing and width to minumize trouble?

Thanks guys...

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, let me get this straight! I'm gonna get new rims & tires after the first of the year. I plan on lifting my 89 with a 2" body lift so I dont have to do any other modifications, i.e. brake lines, gas hose, etc... and go with JGC spings in the rear and UCA's up front to get another 2" suspension lift. I also am going to replace all the bushings with new teflon and get the L&P kit and new tie rod ends.

But with this lift is it enough to keep 33's from rubbing? Any ideas on backspacing and width to minumize trouble?

Thanks guys...

2+2....that is not enuff to run 33's. thomas has a 3" SL and a 3"BL, i have a 4" SL and 3"BL and i think aaron has the same as me. my 33's don't rub, on the road, (but i can see where they were "rubbed" with the PO off road) but again, i don't have the L & P steering upgrade so i have to be careful, and i can tell you... king caca is NOT a DD. yes, he looks cool and is fun to drive but by god i'll take mini me on a daily basis over king.

i think the consensus for running 33's is a 3+3. still may need to do some trimming ;) they tend to rub at the back of the fender (towards doors)

Edited by Slick

:beer: Thanks Slick, so stick with 31's for would be safe or go all the way with the lift.

you decide. it's your truck. do you want to trim fenders? rub? crank the t bars higher than they should be? you do what you want to it. decide what she'll really be used for, what kind of terrain you'll be wheeling and how much you're willing to spend and go from there. you'll figure out what's best for you and your pathy. i know for sure that if king caca was the ONLY pathy i owned... he would not belong to me for long! luckily i have mini me for a DD so it's cool... i get the best of both worlds really.

search around here, there has been mega discussions on lifts... you will know what's right for you. :beer:

I've done quite a bit of research on here already, you guys are my first stop when anything gets done to my pathy.

I chose to go 2" SL and 2" BL because it would be the least expensive and least amount of work. Alos it would be less stress on the CV joints than 3". Plus I am in a wheelchair so getting into anything taller would pose a challenge. I think 31" will be sufficient for now.

Thanks for you advice,

Joe