90-95 Pathy's Offroading

RI_ChevyGuy85

Are Pathy's good enough off road to dump money into?  

270 members have voted

1. 1. Are Pathy's good enough off road to dump money into?

• Hell yeah, they hang with the best off road with a lot of mods.
    • Yup, they'll do great with minimal mods.
    • They're decent, don't bother doin too much to it though.
    • Keep it stock, don't waste the money.
    • Hell with Nissan, I miss my early 80's Chevy Blazer.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me three :lol: but I think it was done by the previous owner. I just didn't notice at first and the front drive shaft was removed to probably conceal that fact, but managed to get it back with a inquiring phone call back to the seller. Than I noticed those auto hubs were gone as well. Well got Warn hubs, later reinstalled the drive shaft, fix the cv boot voila we were wheelling. -bounce- :D

This was what the previous owner did;I think there is a thread about what's wrong or what you did to your Pathy or something to that nature somewhere, I probably could fill in with some of my own doings :huh: as well in there one of those days :hide:

• 2 weeks later...

Pathfinders are totally worth it. Very dependable vehicles, I wouldn't buy anything else, even when i had the chance to when my first pathfinder was totalled in an accident :( , I went out and bought another '95.(By the way also a safe vehicle in an accident, for the family orientated out there.) I use the excellent off-road capabilities all the time, almost every weekend, got plenty of pictures and video to prove it. The size of this SUV is what makes it special, its shorter wheel base will allow for better maneuverability and reduce high-centering. Remembering that lift is only as good as the height of your difs and the amount of articulation that is achieved, this vehicle does not require much more than 3" of lift and 31" tires to greatly improve the already great stock performance. Doing these two things is also rather in expensive as it does not require a lot of mechanical alterations especially the expensive ones to the drive train. IMG_3108.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

There are quite a few with that affliction, mine included. They can be fixed though, search around. I did mine with a couple of pieces of steel plate. There's been quite a few people who have welded, or had their frames welded up professionally.

Having only ever wheeled Landrovers in the UK before moving to Canada and getting my Pathy I am mightily impressed. Been wheeling her for over two years now, from bone stock to mild mods (3" Calmini SL with rear swaybar discos on 31" MTs) and she more than holds her own against other rigs in my local 4x4 club. In fact, they never cease to be impressed at what my little ol' grocery wagon can do! With the swaybar discos and bigger shocks and coils at the back the amount of rear flex is phenominal. Getting sinilar flex out of the front end IFS is a little more problematic though specially as I don't want to permenantly rip out the front sway bar (anyone know of front swaybar discos?). And as a daily driver she's car-like enough inside to be more than comfortable on my 45min commute to work. Body lift, 33s, winch bumper, winch, sliders, armour, lockers etc etc to follow when I get a "real" job!!! So yeah, keep your Pathy for sure!!!

As for the rusty frame issue, watch out for rust in the frame above your rear wheels. Mud and sand and all builds up inside there and rots the frame to hell. Had to have the rot cut out and plates welded on. Works a treat now.

Edited by arctic_mark

that's exactly where mine is rotted. I took it over to a friend's just after I bought it, and he mentioned two things: rust on frame above the rear wheels (I have a couple of fist sized holes), and issues replacing the starter.

I might be able to have one of the guys I work with weld plates onto the frame (I work in a machine shop at a plastics plant, but I only machine the plastics), but it'll probably be mid to late winter before I can afford to have it done. I just overhauled the front brakes, and am dealing with the engine losing power no matter what speed I'm at. I just got a fuel filter and will be doing a full tune-up this weekend. hopefully, that'll take care of that problem.

all in all, still a good truck for $700.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
that's exactly where mine is rotted. I took it over to a friend's just after I bought it, and he mentioned two things: rust on frame above the rear wheels (I have a couple of fist sized holes), and issues replacing the starter.

I might be able to have one of the guys I work with weld plates onto the frame (I work in a machine shop at a plastics plant, but I only machine the plastics), but it'll probably be mid to late winter before I can afford to have it done. I just overhauled the front brakes, and am dealing with the engine losing power no matter what speed I'm at. I just got a fuel filter and will be doing a full tune-up this weekend. hopefully, that'll take care of that problem.

all in all, still a good truck for $700.

What is this "rust" stuff you speak of? (Says the man from Texas.) :tonguefinger: :D

Well, I gotta tell ya....I currently have a 92 SE 4X4 that I was slowly fixin' up for my oldest to drive starting next year, and originally had plans to buy a new Jeep. Lately, I have been getting a crazy idea of picking up a clean 94 SE 4X4 and spending some dollars on some mods and on the engine.....they kind of grow on ya when you realize all they can do!

I have a 95' LE stock, i live in south GA so we like to Mud bogg. My pathy has out done everything it's been put up against. Have one a many a bets saying "that lil thing wont make it through that, i just got stuck in it". The only other truck that has kept up with me is my buddy's 92' Hardbody. Never been stuck yet *crosses fingers* even after following in an F250 with 6" of lift and 35" Boggers rutts.(btw he got stuck in mine :D)

• 3 weeks later...

350 in a pathy, sounds lame. I hate domestic vehicles, use to be a chev truck guy... then i got my pathy. I guess if you want a cheap engine chev is the way to go. I'd rather cough up the extra cash and keep it Nissan 100%. ei: vg30dett or even better----> rb26dett <---- Pathy gone Godzilla!! I've been considering it, but I'm satisfied with the vg30, hell if my z31's took the abuse i threw at them, then its more then good enough for my wd21.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to be on the toyota bandwagon until i had a straight years worth of mechanical nightmares. I have had my pathfinder for a year now and would never wheel anything else again. Ive been under water , at 3000 feet in 54" of snow, on off road trails in 3 feet of snow with no other tire tracks to be seen anymore. This is coming from a guy who's last rig had 5.29's arbs, 4 link rear, hy steer, double t-cases, front and rear winches, 37 inch boggers , all pro axle forward and fully caged . I would never own one of those pos's again. I was always breaking stuff and wasting my money. My pathy has been everywhere that my yota ever went. You could however do what i did to my k5 ......... Throw the body away, weld the spiders and put an import cab on it. That truck would climb trees. I called it the mazer (or the blazda when it broke) .

I used to be on the toyota bandwagon until i had a straight years worth of mechanical nightmares. I have had my pathfinder for a year now and would never wheel anything else again. Ive been under water , at 3000 feet in 54" of snow, on off road trails in 3 feet of snow with no other tire tracks to be seen anymore. This is coming from a guy who's last rig had 5.29's arbs, 4 link rear, hy steer, double t-cases, front and rear winches, 37 inch boggers , all pro axle forward and fully caged . I would never own one of those pos's again. I was always breaking stuff and wasting my money. My pathy has been everywhere that my yota ever went. You could however do what i did to my k5 ......... Throw the body away, weld the spiders and put an import cab on it. That truck would climb trees. I called it the mazer (or the blazda when it broke) .

i must see pics of your old yota... ima pretty big yota fan :shiftyeyes:

• 2 weeks later...

The pathy's not bad but couple things to watch out for that i have encountered 1) alternator

is in a terrible place, if you spend to much time in water more than 2 feet the alternator will blow every time. 2) She's a bit under powered when your in a jam and need to get yur foot into her.

3) Hard to work on for regular size people i don't know if they have Japanese munchkins assembling them but some things can be callenging to work on. 4) Lots of electrical problems! having said all this theres going to be problems and things you wish were different on any rig you drive.

I do miss my 85 Blazer Silverado though, nothing like knowing you can run over someone's house without thinkin twice about it.

Say hello to my little fren!

11_07-OP_Hac_Bao-M52A2-0037-800.jpg

Military 5 Ton Tractor Truck, 6x6. 18,560 pounds of pure hauling power over any terrain. She can drive over your 85 Blazer Sliverado, smash it into a pancake... and not even take a dent. WAVEY

• 4 weeks later...
i can show you them when you come up here otherwise they are to big to upload i could email them shoot your address to me

Resize them (you can do it with Paint ;) ) Or just email them with me too :D

• 1 month later...

The pathfinder with some suttle changes can be the ultimate daily driver trail rig. I am enjoying mine daily. My wife, kids and dogs love it.

Bought last year. SE with the power options, CC, AC SAS its all good. Everything works!

Katemcy_wd2100015.jpg

Katemcy_wd2100006.jpg

beach00012.jpg

Enjoying the ride!