WARN HUBS

trashman

SORRY FOR THE QUESTION ITS BEEN KICKED AROUND HERE FOR SURE BEFORE. THE NEXT MOD I GO FOR IS GOING TO BE SOME WARN HUBS AM I GOIN TO SEE A BENIFIT IN FUEL ? I REALLY WANT THEM TO EXTEND AXLE SHAFT LIFE BUT SOME MORE MPGs WOULDN'T HURT..

*boot!*

You should see a small change in fuel economy... I cant say I noticed a change, but I also added a few hundred pounds of sliders, bumpers & winch when I installed the hubs.

LOL.

I didn't really notice any significant gain in fuel economy either, however, I have noticed that it coasts a lot smoother, and holds speed better. Less rotating inertia. Also, my front driveline is much happier.

I also feel a less 'restricted' ride from the front axle - much better coasting; it's

great to be able to coast for a few tenths of a mile down hills with a standard!

I put in the 'custom' air intake that some others have done here (removed the big

air box under the splash guard in the wheel well) at the same time I did the hubs.

I gained about 2 mpg from these mods, no doubt. It was well worth it.

The only down side is maintenance, but all that requires is a tear-down, clean-out,

and re-grease every so often, which reminds me, mine are due... And the fact

that you have to get out and lock them in and out but that's no biggie.

I'm also going this route very soon and have found which hub to use with the 02 but... I was told there was some slight modification to the rim on the 03 17", have any of you had to deal with this? I've got the stock 16" that came with the 02 SE.

Thats my 03 and I don't have a cap over my lugs on my wheels (the lugs are exposed) I have a small cap in the center and the lip it attatches to had to be ground down in order to get the wheel to slip over the hubs. I f you want I can post the pics.

you wont want a closed cap over the hubs, you will want to be able to access them to lock & unlock them... I dont have any centre caps on the front... I dont think they look so bad w/o the caps.

Also, you gotta think FUNCTION over FASHION.

I just wanted to protect them beter in the winter, I hear they freeze up a lot.

My Warns have never frozen up, and I get quite a bit of winter. I would think if you had a center cap, open ended of course, all that would do is provide a place for slush, snow, ice, salt, mud, stones, etc to pack in and make it worse. I'm always kicking, scraping or poking ice and snowpack out of my wheels in winter, it throws off the balance, among other issues. Warn hubs work fine all by themselves.

m.

Sometimes I get some crust buildup on the end of them, but I just give it a quick kick with my boots and it comes off and I can lock/unlock them.

Usually, in winter, I'll lock then at the first substantial snowfall, and leave them locked until it starts to thaw, because there is always ice on the roads, and it's nice to be able to just jam it into 4wd if needed.

I would have to agree casey!! Although I would like some manual hubs but problem is my wife drives the truck too and she does not want to have to get out and lock the hubs. So for now until I find a job closer to home and I can take away the pathy I will be sticking with my auto hubs for my lady's sake.

You don't have Auto Hubs. Heck, you don't even have Hubs.

R50s are equipped with full-time drive flanges. The front driveline is never disconnected, like on the Automatic Hub equipped WD21s, and is always spinning with the wheels.

Like Vengeful said - this is the common misconception with Warn hubs - you still retain all the shift-on-the-fly aspects of factory hubs, BUT you gain the ability to disengage (turn 'em off). If you have the dial on the hub set to 4 x 2, you cannot engage 4wd from inside, you cannot shift-on-the-fly. But if you have the dial set to 4x4, it acts just like a factory set-up.

The advantage is on hwy trips when you know you won't be in 4wd you can disengage them (4x2 setting) and then you don't spin the front axles for no reason.

For serious wheeling, if you break a CV, you can disengage them and still drive home.

If you're lifted, you don't stress the CVs all day for nothing.

Gas milegae increase is marginal... but you can argue they 'pay for themselves' over time.

Most of us keep them locked all winter, and engage/disengage in non-snow and ice seasons.

Did I forget anything?

m.