Out of gas... Any Advice?

Extreme90path

Ok, so my gas gage doesent work, because the the resistor problem, and till I have time to fix it I have just be relying on the gas light to know when to get gas. Well, today I pushed the limits too far (on the way to get gas) and ran out. So, I get Gas in it and I crank it over, it backfires into the intake, and then it doesent even try to start. So next, I keep turning it over, but nothing. Not even an attempt. I get ahold of Tbecktold, and he helps me from here. We add aprox. 2 more gals of gas, then try and start it. It has fuel Pressure, and it has spark. So i dunno what else it could be. We pulled codes but there were none. So We let it set for awhile, (aprox 3 hours) and we go to start it, it tries for 1/2 sec, then nothing again. So what I am thinking is possibly flooded? I have the factory Shop manual, and I check the Diagnosis area, and it gave me:

Clogged fuel filter/line (plunty of pressure and flow)

Pressure Regulator

Regulator Vacume hose clog

Spark Plugs wet w/ fuel

Throttle Valve Clogged

Ignition Timing

But yeah, So i am thinking it's flooded... any thoughts?

One thing Ben's forgetting to mention here is that every time we let it sit, even for an hour or so, it'll act like it wants to fire once right off, then just cranks and cranks and cranks. To me, it doesn't sound like it wants to turn over real well after that first time, but I'm not positive on that. I think we're gonna pull a plug or two tomorrow to check them out, but I'm pretty much stumped. It's putting out good fuel pressure too, or seems like it to me...

Ok, so my gas gage doesent work, because the the resistor problem, and till I have time to fix it I have just be relying on the gas light to know when to get gas.

Had a truck once with busted fuel gauge. Tripped the odometer every fill-up. When odometer got to 200 I re-filled. This kept me from running out of gas and kept fill-ups less than $20. Worked pretty good at the time.

Need to warn you that gas was barely $1/gal at that time. Your lucky to get 100miles for $20 bucks of gas these days.

Had a truck once with busted fuel gauge. Tripped the odometer every fill-up. When odometer got to 200 I re-filled. This kept me from running out of gas and kept fill-ups less than $20. Worked pretty good at the time.

Need to warn you that gas was barely $1/gal at that time. Your lucky to get 100miles for $20 bucks of gas these days.

because i have had to deal with that before i still reset the trip meter every fill up.

Id hook some jumper cables up and keep cranking that bad boy (so it doesnt wear your battery down) to get the fuel flowing through the lines again.... it will take time so be patient. Start fluid (ether in a can) in the intake might help too like someone said previously.

Id hook some jumper cables up and keep cranking that bad boy

That will only insure that you overheat the starter or start frying wires. They are meant only for REALLY low duty cycles, NOT to run constantly...

As Luker said, pull the fuel relay.

B

Already tried jumping it, no change. It has a deep cycle Orbital in it anyway, so it does pretty well that way.

Pulled the fuel relay at lunch, didn't change anything. Unless we were supposed to pull it, then disconnect the battery so the computer would reset itself or something.

I'm waiting for Ben to call me and I'll go pick him up, then we're gonna pull a plug or two, and maybe try the ether thing as well. We're supposed to get golf ball size hail this evening, so that may curtail some Pathy work. If nothing else, we'll see if we can squeeze both Nissans into my shop.

That will only insure that you overheat the starter or start frying wires. They are meant only for REALLY low duty cycles, NOT to run constantly...

As Luker said, pull the fuel relay.

B

I guess I shouldnt have said keep cranking...lol...I didnt mean hold the key in the on position...oops. Just meant to keep trying to start it but guess that didnt work anyway. Good Luck

Ok, so we pulled plugs. I need new ones, but they are not wet at all (w/ fuel) I also checked pressure again, and I do not have a gage, so I am testing it w/fingers which is not very accurate, but close enough. So I actually am thinking it is the pump. So as I have had a long day, I am pulling the tank tomarrow. (Suckage) and inspecting it. If I am lucky the prescreen is all clogged, and that's the only problem. But rarely am I so lucky. Filthy, thanks for the advice on the relay, but now that I know its starving rather the drowning.... haha.....so I'll let you know what happens.

Now the bad news.... not ALL Pathys have them. I was told that by an old timer at a dealer. he also said that there seemed to be no rhyme or reason behind it but he had seen some without.

Since then I alway's look (out of curiosity) when I am at wrecking yards and have personally seen only one that did not have one.

But the odds of yours not having one are next to none, so I would not worry about it and just pull up that carpet :aok:

Edited by RedPath88

dang... I'm screwed w/ that one... if it's there I love him... if it's not I hate him... for bringing me up the slamming me down haha.... blue balled by the pathy... arg.... hopefully not....:)