Any way to remove some engine oil?

tmorgan4

After bending my oil pan up pretty good, I just remembered to check the oil level today for the first time. :o It's pretty high now, and I was wondering if there is any way to remove a little oil, without draining all of it.

Not a big deal if I replace all of it, it would just be nice since I got an oil chance a few hundred miles ago and no need to change it yet.

I didn't jack the engine UP by the pan, I simply supported the weight of it. :nono: Others have done it without a problem, so I'm not sure as to why my scenario was different.

Too bad we don't have an oil pressure gauge in our dash. :furious: Any idea where the pickup is located?

536996676_Picture%20125.jpg

Edited by tmorgan4

I personally would not worry to much about that little dent, the pick up should be fine. If you dont have any new oil leaks from the dent I would say business as usual.....

Thats just me... someone else with a R50 may have a different opinion

Glad to hear it shouldn't be anything to worry about. I've heard horror stories about Nissans with oil problems since we don't have a gauge and some people don't take it seriously when the CEL comes on. So far everything seems good.

I'll try emptying out a little oil before I start burning it. :P

Tmorgan are you sure you need to empty some out? I mean just because it has a good size dent in it does not mean it is going to need less oil to lubricate it... it is just that the dipstick is sitting somewhere close to the dent.. I am kinda confused here does anybody else know what I am saying??? I mean the capacity of oil needed for the engine to be properly lubricated has not changed. BTW how is the lift coming???

:huh: sweet jesus. the rods don't knock on the pan? i put a dent half that size in my jeep and you'd think it was about to blow..... and an even smaller dent than that in a chevy 350 and it made the same noise...... wow. i am impressed.

and yes, i agree...... it still takes the same amount of oil regardless of dent.

You DO need to use less oil with the new lower capacity pan. You do NOT want the oil level to be above the the high mark on any dipstick! There is a reason we specify a maximum level.

What is that reason? If you fill higher than that, then parts of the rotating assembly (crankshaft and connecting rods) will start hitting the surface of the oil bath. Why is that bad? Well, it will cost you horsepower and fuel economy and generate heat. Worse, it is possible under some conditions for the oil to get whipped up into a frothy foam like condition, which can bathe cylinder walls causing excess oil consumption and even possibly lead to the oil pump sucking foam instead of liquid oil. Kabloeys will result.

That is correct. Too little is also bad.

What you need is enough oil to make sure the oil pool is high enough to assure the pick up is picking up oil, but not so much that the crank is hitting the pool.

Hence, the "low" AND "high" level marks on the dip stick! :aok:

This is with regards to wet sump engines. Dry sump engines have high and low limits for differing reasons.