InCabin Air Filter Installation Instructions

Trainman

so for those of us that have older models...do we have one at all? or would it be in a different location?

As far as I know we don't have any. What are the symptoms if the filter needs replacement? Or is it like a furnace filter and should be replaced every so many months or miles with no symptoms?

As far as I know we don't have any. What are the symptoms if the filter needs replacement? Or is it like a furnace filter and should be replaced every so many months or miles with no symptoms?

I have had these on the Mystique and the Sienna. The force from the fan tends to be a bit weaker, may get a whistling sound as well. We change ours every year as we live in a very dusty place (same for the air filter, fuel filter every 10,000 km). You won't notice much as it clogs but when you put the clean one in, wow, you will notice then.

• 3 weeks later...

hey all, FYI, this is in my '97...so maybe it's in older R50's? Don't know...give it a look. i just swapped it. when i called infiniti, for some reason they didn't have an "application" for an incabin air filter for my year. showed them my filter that i took out, and they're like "oh yeah we have those in stock!". i decided to tear out my glove box and check it out, and yep, opened up the black box and there it was =P

hey all, FYI, this is in my '97...so maybe it's in older R50's? Don't know...give it a look.

Thanks for the update QuismO. Maybe it is in the older R50 Pathys as well or was only an upscale improvement just for the Q?

it costs around $45 for the filter...i did however find some places online selling it for $30. I was determined to find out if i had an in-cabin filter 'cause the air coming from my vents started to have a funny smell. there was some sort of mold growing on the filter which was causing the smell...maybe from my brother's spilled milk accident? i have no idea.

nissandoms, yes the filter did make a difference, air flow was increased since the old filter was dirty as hell, and the smell did go away. the service center said that the filter should be changed every 50k miles or so. I'm going to change it everytime i change my timing belt now =P.

hopefully it isn't just for the Q, all of the filter enclosures/parts have nissan/calsonic badges all over them, so i'll take my chances and say that they're in pathies as well. just pull out the glove box, and there'll be a white cylindrical plastic piece on the right side, and a black box (about 1 cubic foot) on the left, the filter is located in the black box. there are 3 screws and a clip that hold the top and bottom halves of the box together, and 2 larger screws that hold the bottom half to the firewall (located on the bottom of the box, far back).

just so you know, you can actually see the black box jutting out a little under/behind the glove box, all w/o even pulling the glove box out, if you have this plastic black box, then you have an in cabin air filter =)

hope this helps

Edited by QuismO

So was this optional equipment on my Pathfinder or was it standard? This is a very timely thread...it's been on my to do list for a while.

When I did this on my 1998 4Runner with 83k miles, the filter had never been changed and it was disgusting. I simply cleaned out the filter with lots of Qtips and warm water and it worked great. No need to buy a new filter.

Yikes....found the box, clip and screws.....I am now just afraid to see the last owners scalp (hair) in there!!! :oops: That dude must have been one nasty creature...there were ashes in the gauge cluster behind the clear plastic under the reset button for the odometer.......let alone all the wonderful un-identifiable candy that was just under the back seats and gobs of dog hair under the front :hide: ----

----did I mention that this was after a dealership in Staton Island New York detailed the truck for auction??? :huh:

Yikes....found the box, clip and screws.....I am now just afraid to see the last owners scalp (hair) in there!!! :oops: That dude must have been one nasty creature...there were ashes in the gauge cluster behind the clear plastic under the reset button for the odometer.......let alone all the wonderful un-identifiable candy that was just under the back seats and gobs of dog hair under the front :hide: ----

----did I mention that this was after a dealership in Staton Island New York detailed the truck for auction??? :huh:

ahahaha...gross!

• 1 month later...

I can veryfy that I have a 97 LE 4x4 and I opened up the black box and found no filter. Only what I think is called the condenser (looks like a radiator). I used compressed air and a vacuum to clean it out but thats all I could do.

Ugh I need one in my '90... Our roads are so dusty I need to clean the interior once every 2 weeks. I'll need to clean it once a week in the summer, its probably not too good for the lungs- breathing in constant dust for 30 minutes until I hit pavement...

• 8 months later...

just pulled my filters out of my '01 and it doesn't look like they've been changed in quite some time (if ever) - just nasty. I'm going to look into just pulling out the paper from the plastic housing and refilling it with a home-depot filter.

I noticed that the vertical slit they insert into behind the glove box was simply hacked out of the plastic housing. kinda interesting that the manufacturer would do it this way, must've been an afterthought.

just pulled my filters out of my '01 and it doesn't look like they've been changed in quite some time (if ever) - just nasty. I'm going to look into just pulling out the paper from the plastic housing and refilling it with a home-depot filter.

I noticed that the vertical slit they insert into behind the glove box was simply hacked out of the plastic housing. kinda interesting that the manufacturer would do it this way, must've been an afterthought.

Why would you try home depot ?? Stock filter is $28 at the dealership (some might try charging up to $50 - because the salesmen make comission - ignore these fools)

Also, I believe that some R50's didnt have a filter and that its possible to cut open the housing. The instructions with the OEM filter say something about this.